PDA

View Full Version : Bow Front Tanks

BobB
03-14-2011, 08:46 PM
I found a 72G Bow Front Tank and stand for $350. My question is this good tank for discus. I would have a good Eheim Canister Filter for filtration and weekly water changes.

Thoughts?

Arjunpun
03-14-2011, 08:50 PM
I had 55 gallon bow corner tank. the discus looked weird on their shape so I sold it and got the regular tank.i don't know about your tank. my wasn't good for discus at all.

flyman767
03-14-2011, 08:54 PM
Bob,

Is it like this one..72G from Oceanic? I've had mine for a few years and my guys love it..:)

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w109/flyman767/Lexus/IMG_0131.jpg

Keith Perkins
03-14-2011, 09:08 PM
Great tank IMO.

flyman767
03-14-2011, 09:29 PM
Bob,

How many Discus to you plan on having? I'm not sure about weekly water changes? My guys get 50% every 3 days religiously. I have a great filter (eheim wet/dry 2227); however, I still wouldn't push my w/c's to once a week. JMHO..

Second Hand Pat
03-14-2011, 09:32 PM
Bob, I have a 46 bowfront and I do not like the distortion with the curved glass. Also did not like the 12 inch width on the sides. 72 could be wider. Note that these are personal preferences.

wendy9722
03-14-2011, 09:37 PM
I like my 46 gal bowfront tank. The fish seem to like it too.

Wendy

Keith Perkins
03-15-2011, 01:12 AM
Bob, I have a 46 bowfront and I do not like the distortion with the curved glass. Also did not like the 12 inch width on the sides. 72 could be wider. Note that these are personal preferences.

Well Pat, I've got another take. I've got two of them, a 72 and a 26. The 72 is a great decorative display tank. It's got just the right curve to give the fish an artsy look at times, but you can still see them clearly if you want to. The fish seem to like the footprint. Now my 26 just cracks me up. I've got it and 3 29s on a 10 foot counter. The 26 is currently the third tank down. My Red Turqs when I come into the room will swim out to the front of the glass and watch me after the other fish can't see me anymore because they're not out as far. It's really funny how many times I've glanced down the front of the tanks and seen the two of them out front looking back at me. They spawned in that tank too, so they've got no problem with the tank footprint. Oh, the other thing I like is the deep lid. You can get a lot bigger items out of the tank than in a 29. Okay, I'm done. :)

Darrell Ward
03-15-2011, 02:31 AM
It's more of a personal thing I think. I've heard it said in the past that glass bow fronts are not as strong as a flat panel tank, and this is one of the reasons large bow fronts are usually made of acrylic. Personally, I just don't like the look of them. Maybe I'm just "stuck" in my ways, since I've been keeping fish a heck of a lot longer than these tanks have been available, and before silicone was used to hold them together for that matter. However, I must say, silicone seals much better than tar and a metal frame. :D

Crockett
03-15-2011, 03:44 AM
Here is a picture of my Oceanic 180 gallon Bow front, there are no Discus in it currently , but when I did, they looked great. I love Bowfronts tanks

http://img151.imageshack.us/i/img24562.jpg/

Jennie
03-15-2011, 05:37 AM
small bowfronts are seriously unimpressive and distort the appearance of the fish! the bigger the better..nothing under the 90.

Eddie
03-15-2011, 05:50 AM
small bowfronts are seriously unimpressive and distort the appearance of the fish! the bigger the better..nothing under the 90.

All bowfronts suck, really hate the look. :vomit:

Jennie
03-15-2011, 06:25 AM
Ok add tank to your new signature..sheesh

Eddie
03-15-2011, 06:35 AM
Ok add tank to your new signature..sheesh

LOL

Second Hand Pat
03-15-2011, 08:37 AM

LOL, I see you feel quite strongly about them.

flyman767
03-15-2011, 09:31 AM
Sorry..really don't get the knock on the bow fronts. Maybe the smaller bows may distort the view based on the tight curvature. However, I've compared non-bows adjacent to mine and did not see a bit of distortion...nor did the dozen people who witnessed the comparison. I guess we all have our opinions as some have CLEARLY expressed!

Crockett
03-15-2011, 10:21 AM

Man Eddie, you don't like bowfronts, your trippng man. I have a bowfront and a 90 gallon (regular tank ) in the same room and guest that came over never even mentioned the 90 gallon , but always complement the beauty of the bowfront and its curved glass ..... you must be joking , come on, one is flat and the other is curved. .. that's an easy choice, even the word "curved" sounds more exciting than the word "flat".....LOL

Crockett

Keith Perkins
03-15-2011, 10:30 AM

Wow, at this moment I'm actually glad there's an ocean between us, LOL.

Eddie
03-15-2011, 07:19 PM
Man Eddie, you don't like bowfronts, your trippng man. I have a bowfront and a 90 gallon (regular tank ) in the same room and guest that came over never even mentioned the 90 gallon , but always complement the beauty of the bowfront and its curved glass ..... you must be joking , come on, one is flat and the other is curved. .. that's an easy choice, even the word "curved" sounds more exciting than the word "flat".....LOL

Crockett

If I got a bowfront for free, I'd pay somebody to take it off my hands. LOL