PDA

View Full Version : Converting a Terrarium to a Discus Tank

moon_knight1971
03-16-2011, 11:54 AM
Ok some of you might remember I scored a sweet 90 gallon 3/4 inch thick glass aquarium off craigslist a few weeks ago. I got it from a 3rd grade teacher who was remodeling her classroom. According to her it was initially used as a chiclid tank and was then converted to a terrarium. I've cleaned out the tank with water and a glass scrubber but I feel like I should do "more" to ensure there are no left over chemicals from the soil (looks like miracle grow). I'm thinking of possibly rinising it with some bleach but am worried the bleach residue might harm the fish even after I rinse it off with tap water. Any suggestions?

Bill63SG
03-16-2011, 06:48 PM
There are some threads on here,but those who use bleach,me included,seem to run it for 24hrs,drain,refill,and double amount of Prime or SAFE.Then I throw some neons in and let them swim around for a couple of days.I've done this so far with 8 tanks from a 125 down to a 20L.

moon_knight1971
03-16-2011, 07:11 PM
The problem I have with that solution is that I have no "test" fish to add to the tank so it opens a whole other problem of getting some cheap fish like neons who might be carrying some sort of disease. If I get a dozen neons from petco, as an example, and leave them in for 2 or 3 days and take them out and drain the tank is there the possiblilty that the discus could catch something?

saltydog
03-16-2011, 07:45 PM
I would use vinegar and water mixture. I have never used bleach in a tank but have used it on several things i use in a tank and did the same thing as stated above. Prime and freshwater 2 to 3 x to give it a good rinse and let it sit for a while in the mixture. I also know several people though that use it on tanks with no issues and then run freshwater + prime and have a few pumps running for a day or so. Then refill.

moon_knight1971
03-16-2011, 07:50 PM
k wish me luck!