PDA

View Full Version : Blue Ram Pouting Period??

m1nh0h
03-16-2011, 02:22 PM
Hello,

I am starting up a discus tank so I added a Blue ram to my tank yesterday. So far it just hides and doesnt want to come out. I know most fish do this when they are introduced to a new tank, how long do Rams usually do this for?

vera
03-16-2011, 02:31 PM
Yr lights might be too bright , usually it takes abt 3-7 days for rams to adapt , 2-3 rams in the tank would feel more confident
did u quarantine it b4 placing it with discus ?also they are a bit sensitive to water parameters

strawberryblonde
03-16-2011, 02:42 PM
What else do you have in your tank? Rams need a "braver" type fish and plenty of plants to hide in in order to feel safe and confident. Small caves will also work well for making them feel safe.

A small school of good dither fish will help, as will Vera's mention of keeping lighting low till the Ram adjusts.

Definitely consider adding another ram to the tank. I purchased 2 rams last Sunday along with my dither fish and the rams were up and about within a few hours. I just kept the lights low and gave them some time to adjust before I fed them some tasty BW.

SB

Second Hand Pat
03-16-2011, 02:46 PM
SB, the Ram in your avatar is very nice.

strawberryblonde
03-16-2011, 02:49 PM
Thanks Pat, she's my new beauty in the tank.

Second Hand Pat
03-16-2011, 02:53 PM
Do rams require plants or only something for cover?

m1nh0h
03-16-2011, 02:55 PM
I dont have any discus in the tank yet, im planning on adding those after in about a week or so, I just have one ram and 5 rummy nose tetras in the tank right now, the rummy nose seems to be fine, and my water is clean, i just probably have to be patient

strawberryblonde
03-16-2011, 02:55 PM
They prefer plants since that's their natural environment, but they can make do with rock caves or driftwood caves. They actually aren't all that picky about it, they just want clean water, dither fish to make them feel bolder and plenty of time to scoop up food off the bottom of the tank.

m1nh0h
03-16-2011, 02:58 PM
forgot to mention, i have several live plants in the tank and two driftwood pieces, currently its just hiding under the wood. what does it mean to dither the fish?

vera
03-16-2011, 02:58 PM
They prefer plants since that's their natural environment, but they can make do with rock caves or driftwood caves. They actually aren't all that picky about it, they just want clean water, dither fish to make them feel bolder and plenty of time to scoop up food off the bottom of the tank.
+1 , as soon as they get used to tank they will b first at feeding time and staring at u to have more food lol

TURQ64
03-16-2011, 03:02 PM
Young or old, Ram's do best in groups, usually at least three..I took some out of my ram tank two days ago and put them in a community tank..They were shy for about an hour..I suggest you add a few more..

m1nh0h
03-16-2011, 03:08 PM
im going to get one more tomorrow thanks for the help!

vernon_24
03-17-2011, 03:47 AM
Hello,

I am starting up a discus tank so I added a Blue ram to my tank yesterday. So far it just hides and doesnt want to come out. I know most fish do this when they are introduced to a new tank, how long do Rams usually do this for?
are'nt rams agrresive against discus ??

vera
03-17-2011, 05:54 AM
are'nt rams agrresive against discus ??
not at all , good tank mates , only at breeding time they become ltl devils :)

mmorris
03-17-2011, 08:57 AM
I dont have any discus in the tank yet, im planning on adding those after in about a week or so, I just have one ram and 5 rummy nose tetras in the tank right now, the rummy nose seems to be fine, and my water is clean, i just probably have to be patient

How long have you had the rummy nose in the tank? How big is the tank and how many discus are you planning to add? If you are planning on adding them in a week or so, it appears your tank will not be cycled. Even if the rummy nose have been in the tank for some time, I would expect an ammonia spike. If you are buying the discus from a responsible source, you might want to ask to buy a cycled sponge at the same time.

gsteve
03-17-2011, 10:27 PM
I love rams ! I have 5 elec blues and am waiting for some golds. I think they go great with discus. You really need to get him some friends , you will love to watch they play.

strawberryblonde
03-17-2011, 11:09 PM
m1n, did you get your new ram today? And how's the current ram doing...perking up yet?