PDA

View Full Version : feeding question

schnauzer
03-16-2011, 04:14 PM
I am new to raising discus, and was wondering why the bad rap on bloodworms. Are they too addictive? Also what are your thoughts on garlic extract on their food?

Eddie
03-16-2011, 08:06 PM
I am new to raising discus, and was wondering why the bad rap on bloodworms. Are they too addictive? Also what are your thoughts on garlic extract on their food?

The rap is just about people using them as a staple diet. Many on here use them sparingly and never run into issues. There is always the slight possibilty of internal parasites but thats very minute with the advance sterilization methods used by some companies. I would never use live bloodworms, frozen if any but stopped using them a while back. I prefer feeding Mal's Freeze Dried Blackworms over bloodworms.

PAR23
03-16-2011, 08:14 PM

I feed Frozen BloodWorms maybe once every 2 weeks and have not had any problems with them rejecting other foods. I ALWAYS have them feeding what I want them to eat before giving them FBW. I also like the FDBW from Al.

Bud
03-20-2011, 07:02 PM
Crap,Ive been feeding FBW twice a day since a got my discus about a month ago!theyve grown an inch easy!In fact they get two feedings of tetra bits,two cubes of FBW,and one feeding of BH flakes in one day!Huh,they look beefy NOT fat,and they seem pretty freakin happy(wonder why).But seriously does that seem to be too much,do they need more vegetable in their diet?Correct me if Im wrong but I thought juvies got alotta protein,then adults got some greens mixed in their diet.

jaykne
03-20-2011, 08:35 PM
Hey schnauzer Welcome to SimplyDiscu!!! I'm Larry one of the Moderators here, if you ever have any questions or concern here on the form, please feel free to contant me ore any of the other Moderators here.
As for you question, I think Eddie has given you the best advice. I use FBW's but not that often just don't think they provide a dicsus with everything they neen I like to use a good beef heart/seafood mix, flakes, and yes Freeze dried blackworms from Al!!!