PDA

View Full Version : canister filters vs sponge filters

twocat
03-16-2011, 07:22 PM
I was told and i learned Canister filters and Discus keeping really do not go hand in hand . Sponge filters and Aquaclears do just fine.

I have a 140 gal---Is this true?

PAR23
03-16-2011, 07:34 PM
I use sponge filters and AC but others have success using canisters.

Eddie
03-16-2011, 07:55 PM
I use sponge filters and AC but others have success using canisters.

I would run ACs with sponges also, just that I have tons of Penguin filters. I like the combo of HOB with sponges.

Jhhnn
03-16-2011, 08:27 PM
I use cascade canisters and sponge filters together, with fairly fine sponge prefilters on the canisters. I like redundancy. Part of what I like about canisters in BB tanks is that the return flow can be oriented to herd the poop into discreet areas, making siphoning easier... I just point the return straight down in the corner opposite the filter pickup, keeping turbulence low & creating a laminar flow across the bottom...

broncofan27
03-16-2011, 11:37 PM
So what is the reasoning for not wanting to go canister? I am setting up my new tank for my first discus soon and I was planning to use a filstar xp2 canister along with a sponge filter.

shawnhu
03-17-2011, 12:51 AM
Owning a canister with discus, I can tell you that it's hard to clean the filter, especially when you are feeding foods like beefheart and frozen bloodworms daily. You either have to shut off the flow, or use a prefilter to prevent food rotting in the canister.

Eddie
03-17-2011, 01:46 AM
Owning a canister with discus, I can tell you that it's hard to clean the filter, especially when you are feeding foods like beefheart and frozen bloodworms daily. You either have to shut off the flow, or use a prefilter to prevent food rotting in the canister.

Yup, those who switch to HOBs from canisters are always happy that they did. ;)

Jennie
03-17-2011, 07:08 AM
What Eddie said! HOB Ac's and sponges. easy easy easy

broncofan27
03-17-2011, 09:04 AM
Well I am going to start out with my canister because I have it and all my HOB were garbage so I tossed them. I did not know about prefilter sponges until a few days ago and already have one ready to throw on when I get my tank setup. I would have used these long long ago on my oscar tank if I had known about them.

Discus Origins
03-17-2011, 09:13 AM
for a tank that size I would go with a sump wet/dry filter and low flow pump. Not only does the media harbor more aerobic bacteria the process also oxygenates the water and the pre-filter (I use DLS pads) catch all the waste/food and I just toss it out and put a new one in every few days. HOBs and canisters usually put too much flow into the tank and if you turn down the flow doesn't clean like its suppose to. I've tried every combination and nothing runs as efficient and clean as wet/dry sump.

Mark

TURQ64
03-17-2011, 09:37 AM
for a tank that size I would go with a sump wet/dry filter and low flow pump. Not only does the media harbor more aerobic bacteria the process also oxygenates the water and the pre-filter (I use DLS pads) catch all the waste/food and I just toss it out and put a new one in every few days. HOBs and canisters usually put too much flow into the tank and if you turn down the flow doesn't clean like its suppose to. I've tried every combination and nothing runs as efficient and clean as wet/dry sump.

Mark
+1
I use 'em all, but my wet/ dry's are my backbone...And the sump's my sponge filter farm..never worry about cycling a new one...

JL15219
03-17-2011, 03:01 PM
I have used a canister filter with prefilter for over a year with my discus no problem.....although cleaning the canister filter can seem harder than clean a hob filter at times.....the only reason I am using a canister filter instead of a hob filter is just because I already had it before I got into discus. And the canister filter does help keep all the poop in one corner for easy siphoning.

broncofan27
03-17-2011, 03:05 PM
I have used a canister filter with prefilter for over a year with my discus no problem.....although cleaning the canister filter can seem harder than clean a hob filter at times.....the only reason I am using a canister filter instead of a hob filter is just because I already had it before I got into discus. And the canister filter does help keep all the poop in one corner for easy siphoning.

How often are you breaking down that canister for cleaning?

broncofan27
03-17-2011, 03:06 PM

JL15219
03-17-2011, 03:17 PM

At least once a month more or less....depends how often I been feeding and what I have fed because I have some foods that fall apart really easy and get sucked up into the filter even with a prefilter.

nc0gnet0
03-17-2011, 03:44 PM
I prefer the combination of a sponge filter and a magnum 350 or hot mag. When you start getting into tanks over 100 gallons, canisters start making more sense. Now of course as to clean-ability etc, it all depends on what canister your talking about.

I had an old Hydor prime 20 canister that I picked up when buying a craiglist tank. I had it kicking around a year or so, thinking it was pretty much useless. About as basic a canister filter as you can get, one basket filled with bio-balls, and a polishing pad on the bottom. Recently I incorporated it into my fry grow-out tank and I love the thing. I can clean it just as fast as I can a sponge, and the output is just right for the 36 watt UV sterilizer I coupled it to. IMHO, as great as sponges are, they can be a PITA in fry tanks.

Rick

pekored
03-17-2011, 04:26 PM
I use 2 canister filters. One is a Fluval 305 that came with my 55 gal tank "kit". The second canister is an Eheim 2213 that I bought used for $50.00 and its output flow goes through a UV Sterilizer. I had this setup running for several months before I decided to keep discus so I was not about to go through a wholesale change on filtration.

I clean my canisters every 2 months. I will do one, wait 1 week, then do the other.

I feed my discus raw beef heart that is not in any type of mix. Before I feed the beef heart, I do unplug both canister filters. This does two things. One, it does not suck food into the canisters. Two, there is no longer any turbulence so the food drops and stays in the front of the tank where I feed them. I come back in about 20 minutes and I cannot find any trace of beef heart on the tank bottom and then I power up the canisters without issue. With the raw beef heart, I watch it as it falls into the water. It is so lean that there is never any cloudiness that comes off. People who see my tank inevitably comment on how clear the water is. (sorry for bragging :)

Just my two cents. All filtration is good! No magic bullets ... just have lots of it!!

Best wishes to all,
Peter

alpine
03-17-2011, 09:15 PM
I was told and i learned Canister filters and Discus keeping really do not go hand in hand . Sponge filters and Aquaclears do just fine.

Thanks for quoting me .
I have three Eheim canister filters under my tanks in storage . With the water changes you do with discus it just does not make sense to have those perfectly great quality canister filters running . Aquaclears and sponges do a great job.

Roberto.

jimg
03-17-2011, 09:23 PM
+1
I use 'em all, but my wet/ dry's are my backbone...And the sump's my sponge filter farm..never worry about cycling a new one...

+1 me too!
All my bigger tanks always have trickle filters never do without one.
I also make up my own canister set-ups for them and use regular canisters on others. under 75gal gets sponge and hob.

strawberryblonde
03-17-2011, 09:39 PM
I'm using a very small sump and a Marineland canister as backup. The canister is so simple to clean that I really have no good reason not to use it as my "in case the sump goes kaput" fail-safe. Tossed purigen into the canister where carbon usually goes in order to handle the tannins from my driftwood and wallah, the tank is pristine to boot.

On the other hand, if I didn't already have the canister, I'd go with sponges for sure (and you'd hear me cussin' all the way to the east coast every time the debris on them floated off into the tank while I was doing a WC) :grin:

SB