PDA

View Full Version : Heros sp. 'Atabapo' with fry

Ryan
03-19-2011, 02:18 AM
Severums are one of my favorite cichlids behind angels and discus. I keep and breed several of the species. Tonight my Heros sp. 'Atabapo' released their fry. They are a mouthbrooding severum -- they pick the wrigglers up after hatching and hold them until they're free-swimming. As you can see, the parents signal the fry when there's danger (in this case, me with a camera) and they herd back into their parents' mouths.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBLU6iSvxlI

These fish have managed to spawn and care for fry in a 210 gallon cichlid community full of big, mean fish like pikes and a true parrot cichlid. They're the best parents I've ever owned.

Most severums are not mouthbrooders, only this fish and the true Heros severus from the Orinoco. There's still discussion as to whether or not the Atabapo fish is the same species or its own separate one.

Second Hand Pat
03-19-2011, 07:44 AM
Ryan, great clip. Mouth brooders are such cool fish.

Ed13
03-19-2011, 09:00 AM
Very cool Ryan!! I've never kept or seen the mouthbrooding or rare heros, but I remember some heros I had very fondly!!

s4surf
03-20-2011, 09:57 AM
Very nice ryan, very nice :)

I have bred many mouthbrooders over the years when keeping African's from the rift lakes, but I have not seen both parents take in their fry when alarmed. That what I think I see in the video can you clarify? I have bred bi-parental fish but they hold at their different times in the process. To hold off a pike from getting their fry they must be quite aggressive when breeding.

Thanks for sharing,
Steve

Ryan
03-20-2011, 11:41 AM
Steve,

Yes, both parents take in fry. After the initial egg-hatching, the female picked them up and held them. Once the fry were free-swimming, the parents started switching off at night. They share the job pretty equally now.

They've been an incredible pair. They have claimed half of my 210 gallon community, leaving a bunch of big fish cowering on one end of the tank. They're not just fending off one pike, but three. :shocked: My other fish include:

2 Crenicichla lenticulata (lent pike)
1 Crenicichla saxatilis (sax pike)
1 Hoplarchus psittacus (true parrot)
4 severums

I tried to take video last night of my two lents facing off with the pair but I couldn't get my camera out in time. It was quite an interesting sight.

s4surf
03-20-2011, 02:09 PM
I did not think that Sev's were that aggressive but breeding dress is always different then normal temperment. I've always enjoyed watching fish breed in a community tank, you really get to see what they are like as parents as long as there is space for the other fish to get away :)

I hope to have some pictures myself in a short while, I recently picked up a couple Super Red's Sev's, and from their actions I 've got to believe they are a pair. I've read that most of these SR males are not fertile but I will hope for the best. I know they said the same about Gold's, but I've seen people online breed them successfully.

Steve