PDA

View Full Version : Picking up 5 in an hour!

konceppt
03-19-2011, 02:24 PM
Hi all,

I am finally getting my discus tonight,After much deliberation i have decided to buy some from a private seller local to me.He has a situation and needs 5 Adult Discus rehoming quickly.He has changed all his tanks over to Marine setup and has one last tropical tank that he has had to put all his trops in until he sells them.Unfortunately that has meant his discus are in with an arowana (That he has now sold) so he was desperate for me to rehome the discus.He has offered them to me for a much better price than i can get from anyone else locally £50 for all 5!!!!!

I am going to look at them in an hour and if they look ok and disease free i think i will have them.The one advantage is that i wont have to grow out juvies now.All 5 are adults 4-5 inches.Hoping they will pair up fairly soon

He says they are;
1 melon
1 royal turquoise
1 leopard pigeon
1 orange
1 blue snakeskin

TURQ64
03-19-2011, 02:38 PM
Great news..If you already have fish,however, you should still quarantine them...

konceppt
03-19-2011, 02:50 PM
I have 9 glowlight tetras that i put in the tank while i was waiting for the discus, just to keep the filter cycling.

TURQ64
03-19-2011, 02:55 PM
You should be good to go then..

konceppt
03-19-2011, 03:04 PM
I cant wait.I am just worried that i will wake up in the morning to dead fish.I have heard so many horror stories (Admittedly in the LFS) about how temperamental discus are.I tested the water today and my water is fine (Ph is higher than i would like 8.0) But the fish have been kept in a home with the same water supply as mine so it should be ok.

Oddly i tested the water from my tap today and it was 7.6,I have left a glass of water in the kitchen that i will test again tomorrow to see if its changed (Which i am expecting to be 8.0)

Darrell Ward
03-19-2011, 04:21 PM
If the fish are healthy, they should be fine.

konceppt
03-19-2011, 05:40 PM
Just got home,They are now floating in bags in my tank.He told me his ph was 8.0 so thats handy.I have just added some of my tank water to the bags and i am going to continue to float them for a while

Darrell Ward
03-19-2011, 06:01 PM
Just open the bags, pour the fish thru a net with a bucket underneath to catch the water, and plop em in the tank. They'll be fine.

konceppt
03-19-2011, 06:14 PM
They are now in the tank.They all seem ok so far,Fingers crossed

PAR23
03-19-2011, 06:26 PM
Good luck. Pics once they settle in.

discuspaul
03-19-2011, 09:17 PM
Great ! Let us have a look at them, once they get accustomed to their new surroundings.

konceppt
03-20-2011, 06:23 AM
I came down this morning and they are still alive so that's a positive,Two of the blue types are quite dark but they seem to colour up and then get dark again,How long do they usually take to settle in and become active?

TonyAPBTx
03-20-2011, 11:45 AM
It depends, it can take several days. Some have had discus nervous for a week or more. They will settle in, try to keep it dark int here so that they can explore their new surroundings without being under the bright lights.

Have you tried to feed yet? If you do I would suggest bloodworms or Al's blackworms, those tend to be two of the favorites and will bring them out faster than a flake food or something else along those lines.

konceppt
03-20-2011, 02:33 PM
I fed them tetra prima about an hour ago.They were reluctant at first but they are now eating.Mostly picking it off the floor but i have seen them eating it from mid tank too