PDA

View Full Version : Discus PH buffer and cloudy water?

m1nh0h
03-19-2011, 08:00 PM
I've been using a ph buffer to bring the ph down to 6.8. I've been treating the water for two days now and the water got cloudy all of a sudden. Is this normal with ph buffers? will the cloudiness eventually go away? also the the discus buffer effect the water immediately? the water still hasnt gone down according to my ph strips.

daveo
03-19-2011, 08:18 PM
The water will cloud up if you use meds with it. I would sugg. that you use peat insted.

Daveo

m1nh0h
03-19-2011, 08:19 PM
I havent used meds or anything with it, it seems like the dust particles from the buffer is floating around

daveo
03-19-2011, 08:27 PM
Discus buffer right? It should sink to the bottom of the tank, then fan it in with your hand.
Seems the stuff traps minerals from the water then forms a crust on sponges or heaters.

Daveo

m1nh0h
03-19-2011, 08:33 PM
yeah, its actually all over the glass, glass driftwood, heater, filterintake, etc. how long does it take for the discus buffer to work?

TURQ64
03-19-2011, 08:50 PM
I don't want to come off as 'looking down my nose', but acid buffers can be rather risky to use off the cuff..If you need to use them (?), please mix in a separate container until dissolved, then add to your tank..Lowering the ph too quickly can be brutal on the fish...

discuspaul
03-19-2011, 09:05 PM
Agree with TURQ - I wouldn't use buffers either - problematic if it lowers the pH quickly.
But whatever you do, please stay away from pH test strips - they are notoriously unreliable/inaccurate.
Suggest you get a proper pH test kit.
Why are you trying to lower the pH anyway ? What is your pH ? Even if it's well above 7.0 - that's ok.
Why mess with it ?

jimg
03-19-2011, 09:12 PM
Agree with TURQ - I wouldn't use buffers either - problematic if it lowers the pH quickly.
But whatever you do, please stay away from pH test strips - they are notoriously unreliable/inaccurate.
Suggest you get a proper pH test kit.
Why are you trying to lower the pH anyway ? What is your pH ? Even if it's well above 7.0 - that's ok.
Why mess with it ?

+1

Hogman
03-20-2011, 08:39 AM
I still have about a kilo of discus buffer from the early 90's. The cloudiness comes from the chemical reaction with pretty hard water. The calcium and magnesium crystalizes (white powder) and has nowhere to go. It's like ph shocking a pool. I tried using it several times with the same results. A battle that cannot be won