PDA

View Full Version : Ready to go

chipster55
03-20-2011, 12:55 PM
OK I have been thinking about breeding Discus now for over a year. I've read many posts on subject and have a couple questions to get started. A little background: I started with planted tanks a year ago and seem to have mastered that. Got 75 Gal that has very healthy plants that I have to prune back quite a bit. They are your typical warm water discus plants so you can see where this is going..To a show tank eventually. I have available to start this project a 125 gal, 55 gal 25 or 40 gal (haven't looked to close at it and a ten gal. None are set up yet. I also have an R/O system available. I am going to dedicate a basement bedroom for this so here are the 1st questions.

1. I know I will be adding plumbing by tying into current pipes..What is recommended to have when bringing pipes to ground, ie wash sink, reg sink, some kind of water holding area(and what would you use for that).

2. I am going to run tanks separately or should all be connected somehow (with exception of Q Tank.

3. How would one set these size tanks up, ie Q-tank, Breeding Tank, Transfer Tank? IMy final tank of course will be the 125 with plants.

4. On the plants I used a fertilized type peat-moss. I would like to go with some sand or all sand but want to have cover plants (grass) over bottom.

There will probably be more questions coming in the future but I would appreciate anyone taking the time to answer one or all my questions. I also have another 75 gal community tank in my house with normal fake plants dec rocks, etc. My final goal is to breed Discus for sale to others or LFS in my area. None of them carry Discus on regular basis. Thanks in advance.

TURQ64
03-20-2011, 01:42 PM
Ahoy and welcome, All of your questions are good ones, but each is the type that books are written about. I suggest looking at the discus for beginners sticky, and use the search engine extensively, as there's already a ton of material regarding each question inside here...Gary

chipster55
03-20-2011, 02:08 PM
Thanks and I do realize the complexity of the questions. I would like to know about plumbing after bringing hot and cold water lines down wall. I'll post in the DYI section on this. If anyone has any ideas on other questions I definitely would appreciate the feedback

TURQ64
03-20-2011, 02:22 PM
KISS,' Keep it simple' applies..Each type of filtration and water supply has it's application or niche', but starting out as simply as possible with Discus yields the best results...One tank, proper filtration, air and care will take you a long way..Complex systems(central), and multiple plumbing apps are much easier to use when you have a good handle on the basics that Discus thrive on. Then you can apply them where you see a good app. Kinda like thinking you can operate a 1400 ton crane just 'cuz you have a drivers license....just my analogy....But do keep reading here, you can answer almost anything yourself, with the possible exception of disease prevention or more specifically, cure..

chipster55
03-20-2011, 03:40 PM
Thanks..So each tank by itself..That takes care of question 2..