PDA

View Full Version : need advice for picky juvies

Fishwhispererpam
03-22-2011, 09:07 PM
Hey Y'all,

I am new to SD but loving it. I've kept fish (mostly other cichlids) for a couple of years now. But have recently decided to keep these gorgeous round fish! So,,, am now on tank 3. I've silently learned so much from reading the old sticky's and threads. But have a couple of questions I can't find answers to...

1. I have 5 juvies, bought a month ago 2 1/3 to 3 inches. So how old does that make them about? How much on average should they grow in say... a month? And what age/size is considered adult?

2. I've tried feeding them a varied diet but they seem to only like the Freeze dried black worms from my lfs. Is this okay for these babies? I've read enough to know that they will grow out best with more options but I feel all the rest is just making my tank dirty.

Thanks for any help!

Pam

Eddie
03-22-2011, 11:16 PM
Hello and WELCOME!

1. I have 5 juvies, bought a month ago 2 1/3 to 3 inches. So how old does that make them about? Size generally isn't a good gauge on age since stunted fish can be 3 inches and be adults. How much on average should they grow in say... a month? This depends entirely on their age, juvies tend to grow faster and slow down as they reach adulthood. Typical or ideal growth rates should be around, 0-4 months (1 inch a month) and the growth will slow down with each preceeding month. And what age/size is considered adult? Discus begin to reach adulthood around 12 months, some faster, some slower.

2. I've tried feeding them a varied diet but they seem to only like the Freeze dried black worms from my lfs. Is this okay for these babies? Fish will tend to have a favorite food if fed constantly. The nutrients from FDBW are not bad but its important to give your fish a more rounded diet to increase their immunity/overall health. I've read enough to know that they will grow out best with more options but I feel all the rest is just making my tank dirty. If the fish are not eating the foods you are trying, you should siphon the food out after a few hours. You have to keep trying or they will never take other foods.

All the best Pam,

Eddie

broncofan27
03-23-2011, 10:13 AM
My juvies have also been pretty picky in the first 4 days of having them. They love the frozen blood worms. They will eat some of the bits and crumbles I am using. I would just stick with it like others have said. I would think eventually they will tear up what ever you give them.

broncofan27
03-23-2011, 10:13 AM
Oh and I did get some of al's fdbw because of how much good things I read on here about them.

Fishwhispererpam
03-23-2011, 10:20 PM
Thanks guys for your thoughts!
Ugh! Perseverance paid off and they are now eating Frozen beef heart, and Brine Shrimp. I will check out fdbw from Al. (and yep, doing wc after feedings)

So, 3 are growing well but 2 have definitely not grown an inch in the month that I have had them. They are the 2 at the bottom of the pecking order. They get a little harassed during feedings but otherwise not a lot of drama go on in the tank. :) Just wanting to help them out. All seem very healthy, have colored up and have lost the dark tones and bars that they started with so just not sure if there's anything else I can do for growth?

Eddie
03-24-2011, 09:21 PM
just not sure if there's anything else I can do for growth?

Big water changes daily.

broncofan27
03-25-2011, 11:30 AM
Eddie you seem pretty knowledgable and I am sort of having the same issue with my little guys. I have had them since last sunday and the only thing they really get excited over is the blood worms...do u have any other suggestions i should try?

Skip
03-25-2011, 02:14 PM
Feed them a quality food... Bloodworms are like candy for discus .. Sure they like it have no nutrtional value.. A good flake or pellet or get a small pack of frozen beef heart .. If they like it then try making ur own later..

broncofan27
03-25-2011, 03:21 PM
I have tried the beef heart. I break off a piece and drop it in the tank. They barely even look at it. Should I break this up more when I put it in or just leave it in the tank for a little and remove whats not eaten? They just don't seem interested. This stuff is the same beef mixture from Hans.

Eddie
03-25-2011, 08:59 PM
Eddie you seem pretty knowledgable and I am sort of having the same issue with my little guys. I have had them since last sunday and the only thing they really get excited over is the blood worms...do u have any other suggestions i should try?

They are still new, give them time. How big are they or do you know what age the fish are? Some people on here have success with mixing the new foods with very little FBW. Another option is to thaw your mix out NOT all the way but so that it can be mixed around and add some FBW to it, then refreeze. They will be tasting the mix by default and then you should be golden. ;)

broncofan27
03-25-2011, 11:14 PM
Ah thats a pretty good idea. They are between an 1.5" and 2" right now.

Eddie
03-26-2011, 12:17 AM
Ah thats a pretty good idea. They are between an 1.5" and 2" right now.

Yeah, generally I starve the fish but those are small so its up to you. The beefheart/bloodworm mix should do them in. ;)

broncofan27
03-27-2011, 02:17 PM
Eddie for these young guys is it advisable to have a water temp around 86-88?

Eddie
03-27-2011, 07:49 PM
Eddie for these young guys is it advisable to have a water temp around 86-88?

The higher temp, the faster their metabolism AND the more energy they burn. 86 is not a bad range, everyone keeps juvies at different temps. Personally, I keep mine at 86F.

broncofan27
03-28-2011, 09:21 AM
Well I cranked my one heater up to it's max but I believe this one heater is not capable of maintaining 86. I have already ordered a second because I wanted a backup but with the two I shouldn't have a problem maintaining that temp. Gonna give that a go and see if they begin to be a little more social with the higher metabolism.

Eddie
03-28-2011, 07:21 PM
Well I cranked my one heater up to it's max but I believe this one heater is not capable of maintaining 86. I have already ordered a second because I wanted a backup but with the two I shouldn't have a problem maintaining that temp. Gonna give that a go and see if they begin to be a little more social with the higher metabolism.

I'd watch out for that. Any heater that is running on max to keep a steady temp is liable to stick on and cook your fish. Make sure you have a decent brand and the right wattage for your tank.

broncofan27
03-28-2011, 08:41 PM
I'd watch out for that. Any heater that is running on max to keep a steady temp is liable to stick on and cook your fish. Make sure you have a decent brand and the right wattage for your tank.

When I purchased this heater it said it was for a 90g and I am running a 75g. I know that often times they aren't exactly rated right. I do have another being shipped to me so I can have one on each side which should allow me to turn them down to the proper setting while maintaining a warmer temp. Thanks Eddie for all your help.

Eddie
03-28-2011, 08:45 PM
When I purchased this heater it said it was for a 90g and I am running a 75g. I know that often times they aren't exactly rated right. I do have another being shipped to me so I can have one on each side which should allow me to turn them down to the proper setting while maintaining a warmer temp. Thanks Eddie for all your help.

Sounds good. A lot heater manufacturers don't have their heaters rated for the higher temp in which discus are kept. I prefer to go one step up from what the heater is rated for as a good rule of thumb.

broncofan27
03-28-2011, 08:50 PM
I should be good with two rated for 90g right?

Eddie
03-28-2011, 09:02 PM
I should be good with two rated for 90g right?

Should be, also depends on the brand.