PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Discus Keeper

farebox
03-23-2011, 12:46 AM
First would like to say "thanks" for all the info I've acquired from this forum since I started my 55GA planted discus tank last June 2010. Being new at this purchased 6 discus from LFS (San Antonio, TX.), mistake one. Four of six didn't live to long, to this day the other two did grow no more than about 3'... Next went online and purchased six more over a period of three months from somethingsphishy.com,mistake #2...With all the info from SimplyDiscus I have managed to grow all 2" fish to now approx. 4-5". It hasn't been easy, all fish have been treated with epsom salt to prazipro during the time purchased to now. I have seven discus now in my 55GA planted tank, I read that that's too many, but I've been thru alot with these guys. All are eating like pigs, it's just the constant "pecking order" thing that never stops. Two get along real good, but it's always "on" for the others. Maybe some peace sometime, no damage to fish or anything. I'm lost for an solution other than thinning out the group. Also have rescaped the tank twice seem Dec. 2010, calm for about 4 hrs., then all back to behaving as before. It's a trip to see all these very healthy discus act like this. I feed 4xdaily, 50% W/C twice wkly, using 70% RO/DI, 30% tap water since last month, ph 6.8, water temp 82F. Tank is crystal clear, plant excellent growth, and all other fish in tank just great. Well all in all just want to thank you guys for assistance in getting this far with my discus, enjoy them alot. Happy discus keeper in San Antonio, TX.
farebox

Eddie
03-23-2011, 01:17 AM
Good to hear you've learned from the site. As far as the pecking order, its how they roll. The temperaments of each individual fish can be very different but usually there will be a fight for the leader position. As long as there isn't any physical damage to the fish, I'd say you are fine. The stocking level issue is merely a baseline for new discus keepers, its not mandatory. You can tell if your current regimen is enough by the health of your fish. If your fish are happy (healthy), then thats what matters. ;)

All the best,

Eddie

Elite Aquaria
03-23-2011, 07:39 AM
farebox,

Welcome to Simply Discus, I see you joined a long time ago but finally decided to post. I am one of Moderators here on Simply, please feel free to PM or call me if you have any questions.

As Eddie pointed out once fish start to reach maturity they begin to possible for a mate to breed with. This may be what is happening in your tank. Nothing you can really do except wait for them to pair up then separate the pair into a breeding tank.

Skip
03-23-2011, 07:46 AM
welcome fellow texan! if you need any help or just want to bs about discus.. drop me a PM! :)

russren
03-25-2011, 11:07 PM
It's good to see others from the central texas area on here. I also got one fish from a LFS here in San Antonio. The stock is certainly limited in our area. Good luck with figuring out the group dynamics.