PDA

View Full Version : New Heckel's enroute; the challenge...

TURQ64
03-23-2011, 08:25 AM
Avast!..I have a shipping notice from FedEx stating that a package is enroute for delivery late today from Baltimore...Two Mar-Mari Heckel's, long awaited, will now take on Mother Nature in North America..Yesterday was great; warm, raining, which was melting down our record setting snowpack..then, it turned to snow, and now we're in the middle of an unexpected winter storm.. I-29 is a 'no travel advisory' from the town where the FedEx truck leaves from for the entire 60 miles to my house...many inches of new snow, and it's still falling..My last shipment from Kenny was in the same weather; the fish were doomed to sit in an unheated wharehouse until the next day, but I fired up the Hemi, locked her in, and went for it.They're doing fine swimming in their own QT tank...As for the Heckel's. will they make it?? Can FedEx pull it off?..I've my doubts, but I'll keep you posted......

jimg
03-23-2011, 08:30 AM
Good luck!

Disgirl
03-23-2011, 08:44 AM
Sure hope they make it Gary. Let us know later today if you get them. Fingers crossed for you and the fish!
Barb

TURQ64
03-23-2011, 08:49 AM
Thanks, folks..I also have CRS shrimp and some plants due today from USPS, and Altums tomorrow..Whatta way to call 'spring'!..Looks like a new Christmas outside...they just cancelled school for the youngin's..a rareity around these parts...

Second Hand Pat
03-23-2011, 08:57 AM
Oh boy Gary, cancelled school is not a good sign. :sad: Hope you get these guys home safe and sound.

Disgirl
03-23-2011, 09:10 AM
Thanks, folks..I also have CRS shrimp and some plants due today from USPS, and Altums tomorrow..Whatta way to call 'spring'!..Looks like a new Christmas outside...they just cancelled school for the youngin's..a rareity around these parts...

Today is to be 85 here and it is way too hot for me. Should be in the 60's. this time of year. That snow actually sounds good to me. We have yellow pine pollen all over everything here, no rain to wash it away either. Good luck with all your shipments!
Barb

TURQ64
03-23-2011, 10:36 AM
Ugh!...FedEx ain't movin', so the Rumble Bee's warmin' up, locked in..and I'll hopefully be back in a half dozen hours.....

Second Hand Pat
03-23-2011, 10:38 AM
4 wheel driving for you with chains...ugh Take care

Disgirl
03-23-2011, 10:59 AM
Be careful out there Gary and best wishes for your safe return with discus in good shape!
Barb

TURQ64
03-23-2011, 11:22 AM
I'm bummed, couldn't make it; total whiteout, no track in the snow..Got stuck a half a dozen times, and fedex had a two hour time constraint on picking them up..looks like they're in a cold wharehouse until tomorrow.....

jimg
03-23-2011, 11:59 AM
That's too bad.... can you call them to see if they could at least put them in a heated office? I thought this stuff only happens to me!

Discus-Hans
03-23-2011, 12:22 PM
Gary, be careful please, it's only fish!!!!!!! 2 more on my conto doesn't make a difference anymore. Now tell me again, why am I in this business?????

Hans

Discus-Hans
03-23-2011, 12:41 PM
Gary, do you know anybody in Watertown SD with Discus, let them pick them up, they can have them for free. I ship you new ones later. This way they at least have a change in that weather,

Hans

Second Hand Pat
03-23-2011, 12:42 PM
Gary and Hans, hope they make it but doesn't seem likely. :(

TURQ64
03-23-2011, 01:26 PM
Hans, Nope, It's hardly even 'guppy-land' around there..I just checked, the roads still not plowed, but I'll keep checking every hour or so..I hate to see it end like this....

William Palumbo
03-23-2011, 03:04 PM
Man that sucks Gary!...Hans, you just can't get a break brother. I hope it has a happy ending Gary. If not, you're in the right hands with Hans...Bill

TURQ64
03-23-2011, 08:19 PM
Well, I made it, and so did they (at least it looks like they're alive in the bag)...Really cold , so I'm floatin' 'em whilst I de-program from the blizzard/pack...I see that the History Channel is runnin' 'True Carribean Pirates', a film we enjoyed doing with our ship, yours truely, and my crew right now,...so, It's a shot 'o rum, and watch my ship while I'm stuck in the snow..and then spring the Heckel's from their bags..Aye!

William Palumbo
03-23-2011, 08:33 PM
Glad to hear Gary!...The things we do for these fish. Have a shot of rum for me as well...you deserve it...Bill

jimg
03-23-2011, 08:51 PM
Glad to hear Gary!...The things we do for these fish. Have a shot of rum for me as well...you deserve it...Bill

+2!

Discus-Hans
03-23-2011, 09:35 PM
Holy crap, this guy is more crazy as me!!!!! I always forget to leave feedback for customers, most of the time only time I think about it is when a customer thinks about it and leaves me feedback.

Gary, I left you feed back ............ dude you're crazy, love you,

Hans

scottthomas
03-23-2011, 09:40 PM
Discus people are nuts. Thats why I like them:)

Darrell Ward
03-24-2011, 04:30 PM
Funny stuff! Great job dude!:thumbsup:

TURQ64
03-24-2011, 05:59 PM
Grrr! we're still not what you'd call 'plowed out', and I was going to Minneapolis today for a 180g..Now looks like Sat..The Heckel's are settling in well; eating good, putting up with a fair amount of traffic..they weren't fond of the camera, so I'll try for a short video clip...

Discus Origins
03-24-2011, 06:03 PM
Great job Gary getting to those Heckels! You're a trooper!

Mark

TURQ64
03-24-2011, 07:29 PM
Thanks, folks..Here's a crappy video of them eating Al's FDBW's tonight...
http://s695.photobucket.com/albums/vv319/Royaliste/Fish/?action=view&current=SDC15724.mp4

Disgirl
03-24-2011, 08:01 PM
Look good Gary, especially considering their harrowing ordeal yesterday. How did you actually go get them, if you care to tell?
Barb

Second Hand Pat
03-24-2011, 09:36 PM
Gary, they look great. I would have retrieved them too. Was there a bow in the middle of that video?

Darrell Ward
03-24-2011, 10:50 PM
Good looking fish.

TURQ64
03-25-2011, 07:20 AM
Gary, they look great. I would have retrieved them too. Was there a bow in the middle of that video?
Kinda looks like it; and it happens on occaision a lot...interesting fish....
Barb..the short version..We live inside a state park, so the route to the highway at the top of our hill is hit by the park's tractor mounted snow blower. I kept slogging up the hill until I could head west...17 miles to the interestate ramp...Those 17 at the beginning and end were treacherous, no plows, deep drifts, total snow pack..once on the freeway, I hung behind a plow (really nasty,but) both ways....My truck is so ice and snow-packed that you can't drive over 40 without it shaking your teeth out..I'll put it in a car wash tomorrow since I have to drive 400 miles round trip for Altums and a 180g...

Fishwhispererpam
03-26-2011, 07:48 PM
This thread was better than a suspense movie.

TURQ64
03-26-2011, 08:20 PM
Well, it was one 'o them 'ya hadta be there' kinda stretches..Here on the Northern Prairie, during a storm like that, the snow just drifts back in behind the plow, so even running there is sorta life threatening...all in the recent past now, except for my truck shaking all 450 miles today..it'll be a week or two before we're forecasted to thaw much..some spring!..The Heckel's are doing better every day..nice color, bars doing nicely..I'll get another clip posted in a day or two when I slow down a little..Now trying to figure the angle of the dangle to move this 180 past two racks of tanks in the fishroom, and where to find enough muscle to get it movin'..On a down note, four of the six Altums didn't make it; the two remaining are iffy, but morning will tell....

Second Hand Pat
03-26-2011, 08:31 PM
That's a shame Gary about the Altums :sad:

BobB
03-27-2011, 12:20 AM
Turq you must live in North Dakota!

TURQ64
03-27-2011, 08:05 AM
Pat, yep, a bummer for sure..Five one-inchers bit the dust, and two half-incher's are still alive...400 miles rt. to get others for replacement..maybe next month, but running out of 'spare' days....
Bob, 'Sort of'...Big Stone Lake, straight west of Minneapolis on the N.Dakota, S.Dakota/Minnesota border..A glacial lake area with a high land mass known as 'Buffalo Ridge' for the weather forecasters..really a drifty kind of place ....

Disgirl
03-27-2011, 09:12 AM
Sorry to hear you lost the angels Turq. All that driving in snow... Just shows how fish can be so important in our lives eh? But it sounds like a beautiful place you live, other than winter!
Barb

Second Hand Pat
03-27-2011, 10:38 AM
Gary, like your description for a "drifty kind of place". Sounds like you are aboard a ship. Of course that is NOT what you mean.

TURQ64
03-27-2011, 10:57 PM
well, only if it's a Prairie Schooner!....The Mari-Mari's are settling in rapidly...not fond of my arm yet when vaccuming, but other than that, they're good...F1 Tefe's are doing great, but I can't seem to get a good pic of them yet....Here's a snpshot of the Heckel's today
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv319/Royaliste/Fish/SDC15769.jpg

Second Hand Pat
03-27-2011, 11:37 PM
Gary, they look great. Really nice color on the foreground one.

TURQ64
03-27-2011, 11:42 PM
You're spot on, Pat!..The other is coloring up just as nice; just the effect of a cheap camera while I'm waiting on a new card for the better of the two..I really enjoy their facial markings for wild fish...

Second Hand Pat
03-27-2011, 11:50 PM
Gray, do they both have a red base body color? Love that but then I'm a red freak.

Eddie
03-28-2011, 05:48 AM
Gorgeous! All the best with them.

Eddie

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

TURQ64
03-29-2011, 07:15 AM
Gray, do they both have a red base body color? Love that but then I'm a red freak.

Pat, yep, the base color striations are red, and fairly typical betwixt the two...

Eddie, Thanks, mate..I wish now I'd sold my car or something and gotten four!...

DiscusOnly
03-29-2011, 09:03 AM
Do you have any tetra colorbits? Feed them that and watch the red "pop" out. I know they will eat colorbits cause they are from Hudson.

TURQ64
03-29-2011, 09:56 AM
Van, I've given them TetraBits every day, but they haven't touched them so far....Their colors are actually coming out nicely; that's just a crappy camera I've been using..New data card enroute for my better cam....Thanks for the tip,BTW..Gary

DiscusOnly
03-29-2011, 10:25 AM
Van, I've given them TetraBits every day, but they haven't touched them so far....Their colors are actually coming out nicely; that's just a crappy camera I've been using..New data card enroute for my better cam....Thanks for the tip,BTW..Gary

Do what Hans suggested to me.

Add a thin layer of pool filter sand to the bottom of the tank. I didn't get the Heckel but I feed the wild I got with the colorbits. Dropped to the bottom.. walk out of the room.. 20 minutes later.. I come back and to see that they are picking up the last few from the sand.

Van

TURQ64
03-29-2011, 01:51 PM
That's pretty much how I do most of my feedings. The tank is a QT tank, however, so for now I'm a bit sketchy on adding sand...BTW, a 'little bird' told me you're big in shrimps (CRS, not tiny fish,gang!)...I'm transfering a lot of fish at the moment, but I'll PM you later, as I started up a tankful a while back, and am always looking for advice and tips...Gary

TURQ64
04-12-2011, 09:50 AM
An update on the Mari-Mari's....They are doing just swell!...I went against my 'better judgement' and added some sand to their QT tank, and like magic, they colored up even more!..They seem 'happier' (I hate to step close to my pet peeve of Anthromorphism), but I can't say as fish have such emotion...They're going to have to inhabit the 29 tall a little longer, as due to late spring/flooding issues, I can't add another large tank. Perhaps next month. I'd stick them in with the F1 Tefe's, but the fear of them intimidating the juvies prohibits that avenue...On another tack, I'm going to start selling F1's soon..If you aren't a beginner, and want some beautiful tank raised 'wild's', PM me....I'll try to get a new photo of the Heckel's sometime today...

TURQ64
04-29-2011, 08:42 AM
another update: I went to the 'cities (Mn,StP) yesterday and picked up a new 90g that I ordered for the Heckel's...I buy so many used tanks anymore that it was strange to have a 'new' one with the box and everything....The newly arrived Heckel's are doing swell, but I made the mistake of putting them with their former tankmates, namely the first two Mari-Mari's..Bad move on my part, so now they have their own QT tank. The fist two valiantly defended their QT tank, solidly thrashing the new arrival's...Saw some of the littermates to my F1 Tefe's, and their parents at JamesP's..many wild F!'s and crosses in growout tanks that were doing fine....more news on the fry at a later date..Now to add water and fish to this new tank...a little short on driftwood, so a trip around the shoreline is probably in order....

BobB
04-29-2011, 12:21 PM
Where did you buy the tank? $

zchauvin
04-29-2011, 01:21 PM
An update on the Mari-Mari's....They are doing just swell!...I went against my 'better judgement' and added some sand to their QT tank, and like magic, they colored up even more!..They seem 'happier' (I hate to step close to my pet peeve of Anthromorphism), but I can't say as fish have such emotion...They're going to have to inhabit the 29 tall a little longer, as due to late spring/flooding issues, I can't add another large tank. Perhaps next month. I'd stick them in with the F1 Tefe's, but the fear of them intimidating the juvies prohibits that avenue...On another tack, I'm going to start selling F1's soon..If you aren't a beginner, and want some beautiful tank raised 'wild's', PM me....I'll try to get a new photo of the Heckel's sometime today...
Are you willing to ship? I wouldn't be able to take until month or so from now but id be interested in 6-8

TURQ64
04-29-2011, 01:47 PM
Where did you buy the tank? $
Wet World in Eagan...best price I could find...

TURQ64
06-30-2011, 07:39 AM
Well, it's been a while, so maybe an update of sorts....The Mari Mari Heckel's have settled in well, and today, new tankmates are arriving (well, future tankmates after QT)..I have aquaired the group of Jatapu Heckel's from m3h3c3 (Mark) and they should arrive this afternoon, barring any new 'adventures' from FedEx......Also a group of his Cuipeau juvies to keep the Tefe's company next winter...Pictures will follow eventually!.....Gary

ZX10R
06-30-2011, 07:48 AM
It is always exciting to get new fish good luck with them looking forward to the pics

TURQ64
06-30-2011, 08:00 AM
Thanks..I doubt if I'll get photo's up before my next trip down your way (Kentucky Lake)..by then, the Heckel's shoould be out of QT and in to something I can get a photo of...Pictures are a tough sell around my place..Ambient lighting is highly reflective, and I use hanging fixtures, not tank hoods...lastly, I'm a poor cameraman!

TURQ64
06-30-2011, 05:11 PM
The shipment arrived, but good old 'DreadEx' did it again; they basically crushed one box containing seven Heckel's and a few juvie Cuipeau's....The Heckel's definitely got beat up in the poor box handling, but the scrapes and scratches will heal...The juvies, well...they will be a continuing story, as they were the bottom of the broken box, and their bags were barely wet......time will tell, and salt does heal....photo's will definitely be delayed,amigo's......Gary

Disgirl
06-30-2011, 05:38 PM
What a sad thing to read, Gary. I wish you the best in caring for the injured fish, hope you can save them all. Is there Anything at all that can be done about FE?
Barb

damian_ireland
06-30-2011, 05:46 PM
Gary ,
I think you should think about keeping stones rather than fish. Maybe Fedex would be able to deliver them for you.....

TURQ64
06-30-2011, 06:24 PM
That's funny, as I have way too many rocks around here from rockhounding(ask my wife) Now all we find rockhounding is leaverites...as in 'leave 'er right where you found it!...But if I was shipping stones, they'd screw it up somehow...The Heckel's are settling right in; eating a few worms, and looking like war vets.....

Discus-Hans
06-30-2011, 06:34 PM
Sorry to hear guys, if there is anything I can do to help, let me know. Do you've pictures of the box???

Hans

Discus Origins
06-30-2011, 06:37 PM
Glad to hear the Heckels are settling in....didn't like to find out what happened with FedEx. How are the juvies doing? Most were starting to get some nice red in their fins and they should group up for you and may take a few worms if enticed. Looking forward to pix once settled in.

TURQ64
06-30-2011, 06:37 PM
Hans, yep, I took photo's of the broken styrofoam box along side the cardboard box obviously stating 'Live Fish'..not sure what to do about it, as the juvies involved aren't doing well. Lost one already, didn't like getting crushed without water in the bag....

TURQ64
06-30-2011, 06:49 PM
dammit!..Make that two..what a dang shame..you can raise them up nicely, then some clown at the warehouse tosses a box, knowing there's critter's inside!...That was the second that had little water left in the bag....Hopefully, that's it, as the rest are starting to eat......

Second Hand Pat
06-30-2011, 07:04 PM
So sorry Gary, bet you and Mark both are really mad. Hope the rest will be ok.

Discus Origins
06-30-2011, 07:16 PM
I'm starting to get a little peaved seeing the updates from Gary....I have painstakingly raised those guys from tiny fry to nice 2 1/2 - 3 in guys with a lot of love, work and literally hundreds of WCs only to lose my kids due to poor handling. I mean you have to throw that box multiple times and crush it underneath other boxes in order to do that kind of damage. I guess the words 'live fish, fragile, handle carefully' doesn't really mean anything to some people...jeez

TURQ64
06-30-2011, 07:24 PM
Yeah, I hear you loud and clear..It really takes mishandling to get this broken up..Don't really know what recourse there is. Here at my end, they are just a warehouse where drivers meet..No office, nada....there's still a weak one, the rest are fine..Hopefully, it will recouperate..The Heckel's really took a thrashing, showng lots of scuffs, as they had to shift a lot with the box broken internally....Jeesh!......Still have the box, and photo's....but never the less bummed....

TURQ64
08-05-2011, 09:07 PM
Well, since I was camera happy today, here's a few updated shots from the Heckel end of things..pardon the crappy shots, but as mentioned, all of the ambient lighting makes for lotsa reflections..... My favorite Mari Mari, who is a strong alpha type

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv319/Royaliste/Fish/IMG_0725.jpg

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv319/Royaliste/Fish/IMG_0709.jpg

Both of these tanks are trying to figure out where the worms come out of that lense
Here's the Jatapu Heckels I aquired from from Mark..

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv319/Royaliste/Fish/IMG_0722.jpg

Perhaps next week things will slow down enough to block out the light, and get some entire tank photo's, so you can see where they live...(big chunks of driftwood!)..Gary

Second Hand Pat
08-05-2011, 11:39 PM
Gary, love the Mari Mari and the Jatapu from Mark look mighty nice too. 6 Jatapus?

Darrell Ward
08-06-2011, 12:33 AM
Nice Heckels Gary!

damian_ireland
08-06-2011, 04:08 AM
Looking good Gary

TURQ64
08-06-2011, 08:25 AM
Thanks gang..Pat, funny you should ask...I aquired seven, but at dawn this a.m., one of the Jatapu's smacked hard into the end of the tank adjacent the Mari Mari's....he's still breathing, but seriously cold-cocked..hope he recovers so the number isn't six (he's isolated in a HP tank with salt and some anti-bio)....I've debated combining the two groups of Heckels...any opinions out there?

Second Hand Pat
08-06-2011, 08:33 AM
Dang Gary...that sucks. Hope he recovers :( Combining the groups may give you more possible spawning possibilities if that is a goal.

TURQ64
08-06-2011, 08:37 AM
Although I have some spawning ideas down the road, since the are Heckel's and nearly impossible to breed, that's what made me consider combining them..like a roomful of neutered cats...

Darrell Ward
08-06-2011, 01:14 PM
I got tired of having 2 and 3 tanks for different kinds of wilds, so I just put them all in a 240 gal., Heckels and all. The fish don't mind it, and 99% of people don't know a Heckel from a Tefe, so it's all good. The fish are a lot more active in one big group.

damian_ireland
08-06-2011, 06:59 PM
"like a roomful of neutered cats" .......brilliant

Second Hand Pat
08-06-2011, 07:02 PM
Although I have some spawning ideas down the road, since the are Heckel's and nearly impossible to breed, that's what made me consider combining them..like a roomful of neutered cats...

Who knows Gary, they might surprise you one day.

TURQ64
08-06-2011, 09:52 PM
Who knows Gary, they might surprise you one day.
You mean like hookin' up with your second cousin from down low country that you haven't seen since the last family reunion?...that'd be a good suprise, alright..I'm still weighing it out, but I picked up two more bags of PFS in case in decide to change the 180 over...

Second Hand Pat
08-06-2011, 09:57 PM
You mean like hookin' up with your second cousin from down low country that you haven't seen since the last family reunion?...that'd be a good suprise, alright..I'm still weighing it out, but I picked up two more bags of PFS in case in decide to change the 180 over...

Well not quite with the second cousin and all but you are on the right track...

Discus Origins
08-07-2011, 01:17 AM
Gary, good to see the Jatapus settling down and looking forward to pix of more of the group. Hope the glass smacker recovers for you. As for combining them I think that's actually a good idea. If you have the tank space they def like to be in larger groups where more natural behaviors come out instead of just establishing a pecking order.

I say go for it!

damian_ireland
08-07-2011, 02:55 AM
Gary, good to see the Jatapus settling down and looking forward to pix of more of the group. Hope the glass smacker recovers for you. As for combining them I think that's actually a good idea. If you have the tank space they def like to be in larger groups where more natural behaviors come out instead of just establishing a pecking order.

I say go for it!

Ditto

TURQ64
08-07-2011, 08:19 AM
I'm fairly sure that the 180 will be better for both groups, so I'm spending this upcoming week balancing the parameters between the three tanks...Bringing two tanks up a point, and the 180 down a point..they're not that far apart in ph and TDS...The Mari Mari tank has spawn wars going on due to the Rams..I'll try for a photo of the pair of Rams holding off the shoal of Heckels....definitely amusing....Gary

hekdiscus
08-07-2011, 09:08 AM
I'm fairly sure that the 180 will be better for both groups, so I'm spending this upcoming week balancing the parameters between the three tanks...Bringing two tanks up a point, and the 180 down a point..they're not that far apart in ph and TDS...The Mari Mari tank has spawn wars going on due to the Rams..I'll try for a photo of the pair of Rams holding off the shoal of Heckels....definitely amusing....Gary

Congratulation Gary.....

Hudson

TURQ64
08-11-2011, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the input, everyone...I'm going to mix the two groups of Heckels today...However, I'm not moving them to the 180, instead favoring a 120 fatboy for now.Since we are building a new fishroom in Sept., There will be a crapload of tank and fish shuffling, so anything we do now affects the move..adding the sand and wood to the 180 would greatly increase it's dead weight regarding moving it, and with no young beefy types around anymore, the bigger tanks are logistically tough for my wife and I to move...If by a miracle they settle right down, I'll snap a few photo's, otherwise, it'll be soon....since I'm shuffling them, I'm going to move a few of the larger F1 wilds into the soon vacant Heckel tank....Gary

Second Hand Pat
08-11-2011, 08:30 AM
Hey Gary, looking forward to some pictures of these beautiful heckels. Take some of these F1 tefes while you are at it. Moving large tanks requires Tom and I to recruit some of the younger set. The kid has a beefy BF who is willing to help. :)

BobB
08-11-2011, 11:02 AM
How about a help wanted sign. Will feed if you help.

BigPoecilia
08-16-2011, 08:00 PM
I'm sort of new here and don't post much but your story on getting your discus through the snow was very entertaining. Good luck with your fish. One more thing. Where did you find Altum Angels during the winter months? Were they F1's?

Lionel

TURQ64
08-16-2011, 08:12 PM
The Altums are really doing great; I should snap a photo soon...They are F1's that were a split order between some folks in Minneapolis, and Kingdom Come in KY...most I paid on perished, but these are the 'survivors' also..about the body size of an adult commercial strain, and they are like 6 mos. or so old....The Heckel's are doing great as a combined shoal (with a little of the usual new pecking order crud)....Gary

TURQ64
08-17-2011, 07:21 PM
Here's a few of my famous crappy photo's...updates

First, the Altums that were pea sized at the end of winter...

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv319/Royaliste/Fish/IMG_0769.jpg

Now, the newest little buggar's in fish alley...These are the Heckel/PE crosses...

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv319/Royaliste/Fish/IMG_0772.jpg
The nine bars are in front and left, and a few 14 bars are to the right of the filter...

Closer shots of the Heckel shaped nine bar's starting to color up...

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv319/Royaliste/Fish/IMG_0773.jpg

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv319/Royaliste/Fish/IMG_0774.jpg

I think I'm really going to enjoy growing these little pig's out and seeing what they become phenotype-wise...Gary

illumnae
08-17-2011, 10:39 PM
Are those "tankbred altums"? I can't put my finger on why I feel this way, but they look like hybrids to me :( I've been keeping wc altums for a few years now and these just don't seem to "look" like pure altums, if you get what I mean.

Second Hand Pat
08-18-2011, 12:38 AM
Gary, are there some 14 bar in your Heckel crosses? Never mind, I see you mentioned them. Any pictures of your combined heckel group and the F1 tefes?

TURQ64
08-18-2011, 07:48 AM
Are those "tankbred altums"? I can't put my finger on why I feel this way, but they look like hybrids to me :( I've been keeping wc altums for a few years now and these just don't seem to "look" like pure altums, if you get what I mean.
They are tank raised F1's from Tony Tan...WC parents, nothing hybrid about them to my knowledge, and his reputation is what sold them.
Pat, I have to jury rig a backdrop behind the tanks with the F1 Tefe's and the Heckels...My wife hung a huge red blanket in the parrot room behind the tanks, so..red crud in any photo's right now.....

TURQ64
08-18-2011, 05:10 PM
Here's the combined group of Heckels'.....
Heckel-ville
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv319/Royaliste/Fish/IMG_0780.jpg

and the Heckel's...

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv319/Royaliste/Fish/IMG_0795.jpg

damian_ireland
08-18-2011, 05:26 PM
Looking good. Have you no lights on your tank ?

TURQ64
08-18-2011, 05:31 PM
Nope, none..two in the room, but the ambient lighting being attached to a greenhouse lights everywhere in the house (practically)....What nature puts out, they receive..With the number of tanks I have running on a disability check, individual lighting is out of the question..Perhaps when LED's come down in price...

BigPoecilia
08-18-2011, 05:41 PM
Beautiful fish your Heckels. I have wild caught Altums. I'll try and post some pictures. Let me know where I can get some Heckels.

Lionel

Second Hand Pat
08-19-2011, 12:17 AM
Gary, love the heckel tank and that is freaking big wood. :)

TURQ64
08-19-2011, 08:21 AM
Thanks Pat..yep, big wood; 40 lbs. and 35 lbs. respectively....Another 60 lbs. in the Tefe 90 (they killed me on the shipping!)...someday I'll get some kind of light for pictures,but..the natural light in those two rooms is very condusive to spawning, be it the fish or the parrots....Just as in structure fishing, the fish suspend along the wood shadow line during the sunny parts of late afternoon..it's interesting to watch...

rsawest@yahoo.com
08-20-2011, 04:26 PM
Very nice fish and set up!

TURQ64
08-20-2011, 08:52 PM
Thanks...The Heckel's are from two sources; Han's, and another member here.The tanks are all from around your neighborhood, as the 'cities are the closest craigslist,etc...My greens are from Jim in stillwater..Willie keeps trying to get me to hook up with the Frostbite Falls routine, but with the price of gas, and the mileage of my truck, I just can't see it....Gary

TURQ64
10-04-2011, 09:20 AM
I thought it about time for an update on the Heckel's, who are well settled in as you can see by the territorial action....

http://s695.photobucket.com/albums/vv319/Royaliste/Fish/VIDEO0018.mp4

Second Hand Pat
10-04-2011, 09:53 AM
Gary, love this tank and those heckels are pure magic.

Discus Origins
10-04-2011, 10:34 AM
Awesome video...I recognize a few of those Jatapus, they are nicely colored and settled in. That one with extra wide center bar was the boss in my tank too lol!

TURQ64
10-04-2011, 04:18 PM
Thanks, folks..This was actually at bedtime, and they were scrounging the last of some earthworm pellets, otherwise..
Mark, yep, I figure you might know one or two in the photo..but the ruler is still the Mari Mari that came out to let him know where he was headed..Had it been worms instead of sticks, it would have been a different video altogether!.

Darrell Ward
10-04-2011, 04:33 PM
Looks good.

Coffee1stLife2nd
10-04-2011, 04:46 PM
Very Nice...there are so many options..love going through all the threads and seeing great tanks and fish...Nice Job...

richgrenfell
10-04-2011, 04:49 PM
Lovely, Lovely LOVELY!

bonsai dave
10-04-2011, 05:39 PM
They are amazing Good Job Keep up the good work. I was wondering what type of wood is that you have in there and where did you get them from.

TURQ64
10-04-2011, 05:51 PM
That particular tank has a little over 90 lbs. of Malaysian driftwood,(two pieces) purchased from a seller on ebay. Wood was reasonable, shipping is outrageous, but so are the fish, I figure...

TURQ64
10-20-2011, 09:13 PM
A few dark photo's from today in Heckelville....
The Alpha fish of the tank, a Mari Mari male, daring the number two, a Jatapu, to try and get that flake that just hit the surface...

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv319/Royaliste/Fish/IMG_0959.jpg

His partner, left, and a Jatapu behind...

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv319/Royaliste/Fish/IMG_0964.jpg

And finally, after the male Mari Mari went back under his root, the Jatapu's feel it safe to come out and feed...

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv319/Royaliste/Fish/IMG_0965.jpg

The dynamics of the relationship between every fish in this tank never ceases to amaze me....

Darrell Ward
10-20-2011, 09:33 PM
They look good.

TURQ64
10-20-2011, 09:43 PM
Thanks..They are some healthy fishes...And aggressive; I still am hesitant to put a ray in their tank for fear of them pecking it's eyes!...

Second Hand Pat
10-20-2011, 10:34 PM
Gary, would love to see these guys in person.

TURQ64
10-20-2011, 10:52 PM
You'd truely love them..Of the hundred or so in the house, it still comes back to this tank...If I have a glitch somewhere, these guys are my reinforcement...That acidic environment sure favors them...

Second Hand Pat
10-20-2011, 10:55 PM
Gary...100 tanks or fish lol. Either one you still need that fish room.

TURQ64
10-21-2011, 07:21 AM
Whoops, my bad!,,That'd be a hundred fish at the moment, but there are a hundred tanks on the premises...thirty in storage,tho'...twenty online...I need to get that room finished; there's a pile of Heckel crosses that need room, but absolutely not a spare inch left in the house for one...Here's a few quick shots of the Heckel crosses, growing like proverbial weeds..

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv319/Royaliste/Fish/IMG_0949.jpg
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv319/Royaliste/Fish/IMG_0950.jpg
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv319/Royaliste/Fish/IMG_0951.jpg

More when I have a free minute..I believe Jim's going to sell some of these puppies soon; best put in a request,as there anren't many (hell, I might even buy up the rest!)

JamesP
10-21-2011, 10:35 AM
Gary,

I like the crosses they are looking very nice.

Jim

TURQ64
10-21-2011, 10:41 AM
Jim, Their health and growth are outstanding. There are still two little Tefe's that are razor heads, but I just don't have the time right now to pull them for treatment, unfortunately..All else are doing great...

TURQ64
11-10-2011, 02:57 PM
Well, amidst the fishroom construction, I received some new fish..A batch of Angels, and these Discus from John (Snookn21) to add to my projects...Three Tefe's to join my Tefe F1's from a different source, and three small Rio Negro Heckel's to join my Heckel projects..These three are destined to join my Heckel/PE crosses after some debugging and settling in....A pan shot (Gold pan, that is!)...

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv319/Royaliste/Fish/IMG_0997.jpg

Darrell Ward
11-10-2011, 07:02 PM
John has always done a good job in the past with "debugging", I wouldn't worry too much about it, unless they showed signs of needing it. They look good. Is that a container for panning gold? LOL!

TURQ64
11-10-2011, 07:27 PM
Thanks Darrell..They're still a bit skittish, as expected, but look pretty good overall..Yep, that'd be a gold pan, you mean Discus ain't 'good as gold'?..They call those Chinese riffles; originally hammered into metal pans back in '49 to trap more fine gold....

Darrell Ward
11-10-2011, 07:39 PM
Well, Discus are often sold at gold-like prices these days!:D

Eddie
11-11-2011, 04:40 AM
Woohoo, those heckel cross are amazing! Send some to me in Spain in a few months my friend! Damn.....looking good!

TURQ64
11-11-2011, 07:36 AM
Damn Eddie!..Good to hear from you!..I was actually thinking of you when eyeballing the 'crosses for future projects..anytime bud; I'll ship you a few whenever!

Eddie
11-12-2011, 03:27 AM
Damn Eddie!..Good to hear from you!..I was actually thinking of you when eyeballing the 'crosses for future projects..anytime bud; I'll ship you a few whenever!

Sounds good! Imd digging them dogs! Keep us updated on their development!

TURQ64
11-12-2011, 08:09 AM
I'll try for an updated photo sometime today..They're growing large, and staying fairly round...reddish brown base is interesting..

TURQ64
11-12-2011, 09:34 AM
Half-light isn't the greatest today, but here's some of the Heckel crosses hoping it's feeding time (again!)

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv319/Royaliste/Fish/IMG_1009.jpg

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv319/Royaliste/Fish/IMG_1010.jpg

TURQ64
11-22-2011, 09:17 AM
Meanwhile, in the adult Heckel tank, things are interesting again..here's the stand off...the alpha male on the left being kept away by several of the group...keep an eye on the smaller fish showing lots of bars...This is where eggs have been laid before

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv319/Royaliste/Fish/DSC_0028.jpg

The fish in the forefront is the partner of the alpha male in the previous photo, trying to get in the group..The smaller fish is still guarding the spot..

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv319/Royaliste/Fish/DSC_0026.jpg

I thought I was going to capture this on film, but maybe next time..

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv319/Royaliste/Fish/DSC_0029.jpg

One of those two smaller, heavily barred fish has put down a batch of eggs three times now, maybe I'll get it in the lense, maybe not..!

Second Hand Pat
11-22-2011, 09:28 AM
Gary, the two in the middle picture, left hand side are guarding a site? Very, very cool on the eggs. A rare heckel pairing...:grin:...the holy grail of discus keeping

TURQ64
11-22-2011, 09:46 AM
Yeah, they seem to be the two, but there's been no fertilization..????..males not interested; new twist!...Maybe one day..They'll probably all get different attitudes after moving again into the new fishroom...I'm giving them a 180 on the move...

Second Hand Pat
11-22-2011, 09:48 AM
How can you have an uninterested male. :confused:

TURQ64
11-22-2011, 10:01 AM
I'm scratching my head on this one, also..What seems to be the male (colored up, heavy halo, red trim) looks and acts the part..Maybe they do get wigglers, and all I'm seeing are the remaining fungused eggs, I just don't know yet. And the more I try to investigate, the more they cool down....cagey bunch..