PDA

View Full Version : Its only one

Northwoods Discus
03-23-2011, 03:26 PM
Yea a wiggler. I was ready to clean the cone on my Penang eruption pair but noticed mom was very protective and dark in color. I've been working with this new pair for a few spawns and lowering the hardness to try to get a hatch. I was starting to think that the male was not fertile or I had fungus or something.
I had the siphon in and mom was pushing it away. I noticed a little spec on the white patch of eggs. Ahh it has a little tail.
So that confirms the pair anyway. Now hopefully not one and done. Hopefully this next batch will be a sizable one.
Should I stop the air on the sponge filter when I see them getting ready for the next spawn? Otherwise it is just a bare 29 gallon setup with a heater and one of Barbs cones which they are using. I'm waiting for a TDS meter to come and have been using strips to test hardness. I use pure R/O with Replenish added. Usually change 50% water 3-4 times weekly, daily cleanup of about 5 gal and occasional large change of 80%.:)

wendy9722
03-26-2011, 02:31 AM
I stop all filtration when they are getting ready to spawn and I get a much better hatch rate. After they are done I use either meth blue or quick cure once I see them fanning. Then I turn on the filtration again. I let it off for about 3 hrs.

Wendy

nc0gnet0
03-26-2011, 04:08 AM
I would skip the replenish, just go with a 70% RO to 30% tap mix. When you get your meter shoot for a TDS in the 50 range. On my breeding tanks it is 60% water change everyday and I clean the sponge twice a week.

Northwoods Discus
03-26-2011, 01:27 PM
If I use 30% tap, which for me is well water, my TDS would be way higher than 50. I am expecting a meter soon and now am using strips which probably are not very accurate. Is there a reason for using the tap over the Replenish. I could use a real small amount of well/tap. It is just easier to use the Replenish. There at it again today and I have the water much softer. I will be able to document things better when the meter arrives. I may get out my API kit today but I hate doing the drop and mix stuff.

Northwoods Discus
03-26-2011, 01:41 PM
I pulled out my API test kit. The Gh is 53 (3 drops) and the Kh is 0-1 (first drop) The Kh of my water is very very high so I can experiment with adding some tap to a 5 gal pail of R/O. to get a ratio.
Am I in danger of getting a Ph crash with so low a Kh? The Ph again on the strips is 6.7. I will have more accurate values when I get the meter.