PDA

View Full Version : whole house uv

jimg
03-24-2011, 11:30 AM
Anyone ever use whole house uv ?

Northwoods Discus
03-24-2011, 01:44 PM
Why would you need to use a whole house UV. Are you on well or municipal water. Do you have a bacterial problem with your water. I know some wells can have a problem with a bacteria called Iron bacteria. They usually flush or sterilize the well for that. Not a continuous treatment. If city water that is why chlorine or chloramine is added.

jimg
03-24-2011, 02:14 PM
I have town water which is from an open water coarse, yes they do add chloramines but that doesn't get everything consistently. I can open my ro filters and scope and see nematodes,which may never bother discus, but if they get in what else can get in.
Many times too even with the way my tanks are kept I get ostrocod explosions. I have occasionally got odd bacterial/pathogens wipe out fry. So It's just something I'm thinking about. Many discus seem to live in our tanks on a very fine line of health and sickness. I've also been trying to see how many who post with problems seem to all have municiple/city water.

Northwoods Discus
03-24-2011, 02:26 PM
I would want to kill those if they were in my water also. I don't think I would enjoy knowing I was drinking the dead microbes either. I would add a whole house filter, possibly 2 or 3 in decreasing micron size and filter out the nasties after you kill them. It is easy to add the filters to the incoming line with some basic plumbing ability. For me that means 2-3 trips to the hardware store, one leak and then walllahh.

jimg
03-24-2011, 02:38 PM
I would want to kill those if they were in my water also. I don't think I would enjoy knowing I was drinking the dead microbes either. I would add a whole house filter, possibly 2 or 3 in decreasing micron size and filter out the nasties after you kill them. It is easy to add the filters to the incoming line with some basic plumbing ability. For me that means 2-3 trips to the hardware store, one leak and then walllahh.

Ha! I have a 1.5cf carbon filter and a 25 to 1 micron filter already filtering the whole house and they get past that too!

Northwoods Discus
03-24-2011, 02:54 PM
Yuck. Can you check the water before the R/O unit. It would be nice to know if it is coming in with the supply but somehow you would have to check before it enters the house. Otherwise drill a well.

Northwoods Discus
03-24-2011, 02:58 PM
The other thing I just thought of is contamination inside. A line siphoning off of a dirty line. I put an antisiphon valve in the line going from my house supply to the aging barrel to prevent back contamination. We have inspectors check for that at our business in town.

jimg
03-24-2011, 03:05 PM
The water comes into the house then to the 1.5 cf carbon then through the 25 to 1 micron. I get the nematodes in the that filter too. Drilling a well 5-7k, whole house uv $600.00+.
We install water mains and my friend works in the water dept. he says there are many things like giardia and cryptosporidium in the water but only effect people with immune deficiencies.

Northwoods Discus
03-24-2011, 03:10 PM
Well if it only kills the people with immune deficiencies than OK then LOL. It seems you need better standards for your water supplies. I feel for you. I wouldn't drink it. I would be afraid for my fish also.

jimg
03-24-2011, 04:08 PM
from what I gather most all open water/watershed water has the same problems. believe it or not nyc has the best water around, all their reservoirs are near me!

discussmith
03-24-2011, 06:28 PM
A UV will do what you know about but with all that and what you might not know about I think you might be a candidate for ozone.

jimg
03-24-2011, 07:02 PM
A UV will do what you know about but with all that and what you might not know about I think you might be a candidate for ozone.

I have been thinking that too but my tanks are all separate systems and all water would have to be treated in a holding tank. so my thoughts were uv should damage whatever goes past it, (except larger cysts but the filter should trap those),just won't eliminate the organics that ozone will.
I haven't checked into ozone enough so correct anything you think i may be wrong about.