PDA

View Full Version : An Opinion Needed

ChrisNorris
03-25-2011, 07:47 AM
Hi guys, I was wondering if I could get an opinion on the following discus (the two at the front), and perhaps an idea on their sex if at all possible? They were imported by my lfs about a month ago and ever since their colour has been getting better and better. Please note wilds are very hard to come by in my area (from my experience).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj0JZWIXosg

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Pelle
03-25-2011, 09:19 AM
Hello Chris!
I think they look like a Brown/blue Discus (Symphysodon Aequifasciatus) from the Alenquer region.
Nice shape and color but their eyes look a little bit big for the size of their body so they might be older than they appear in size.
Are they imported as Wild caught or F1?
Pelle

ChrisNorris
03-25-2011, 10:23 AM
Hi Pelle,

Thanks alot for the reply. They were importer from Aquarium Glasser as wild caught blues (no reference to their location however). Do you think that they are perhaps stunted? / Any idea on the sex?

Much appreciated

Chris

damian_ireland
03-25-2011, 10:52 AM
Maybe just me, but there is something very non-wild about them

Eddie
03-26-2011, 12:37 AM
I wouldn't take them, thats just me though. The one fish in the front with the red eyes is the best of the group. The one with the dark eye is ill, internally. The fish at the back is also. JMO

ChrisNorris
03-27-2011, 12:36 PM
Hi guys, thanks for the quick replies, much appreciated. I think I will leave them for the time being. Does anyone have any idea on where i can get my hands on some good quality wilds in Australia?

Thanks alot,

Chris

Northstr31
03-27-2011, 01:11 PM
Wild discus after they are bred tend to get that highbody fin that those fish are showing. They are most likely F1's and not wild...

Jhhnn
03-27-2011, 01:49 PM
I have the impression that Glaser is a reputable outfit, so if they say those discus are wild, then they probably are. In any case, they're not far from wild at all.

Might contact our Australian sponsors to see if they can provide what you want, or steer you to somebody who can... None of those discus look to be in bad shape to me- if they were, they'd at least be showing their bars a lot more prominently, be dark and skinny. Eye size seems a little large, but I'm a lot more accustomed to well raised & highly bred Malaysian specimens than wilds or near wilds...

ChrisNorris
03-28-2011, 11:40 PM
Thanks for the help guys, hopefully I will be able to track down some quality wilds soon!

Cheers,

Chris

MiketL
03-29-2011, 05:31 AM
Chris,
I have just joined Simply Discus and I am currently searching for juvenile (6-10cm) Heckels in Australia. After contacting breeders and importers in Cairns, Townsville, Brisbane and Sydney it appears that these are also hard to obtain in OZ. Let me know if you have any luck. Originally from Germany I am now located in Townsville and I am amazed about the ease to raise juvenile discus fish in the tropics. Our water quality here is great and I would like to raise some juvenile Heckels to breeding age.

One last request.............is there a a forum group where I can chat to Australian discus keepers/breeders?????

Cheers

Mike

ChrisNorris
03-30-2011, 10:25 AM
Hi Mike,

Unfortunately I'm having similar problems, so I cant be of any help. I am about to go through the process of trying to track them down / follow up some importer friends and see if they can help me out at all.

Again unfortunately there is no designated Australian Discus forum, which is a shame for us Aussies. However, the information on simplydiscus is simply unrivalled and there has literally not been a question left unanswered on here.

Good luck in your search and let me know if you have any luck!

Kind regards,

Chris

damian_ireland
03-30-2011, 03:07 PM
hope some more of the wild gurus post on this. Just looked at that vid again and would bet they are not wilds, also as for Glacers they are supposed to be very good but having seen some of their wilds in a shop only the other day I have to disagree

runner
03-30-2011, 03:41 PM
Am not at all familiar with wilds, but, one tank observation. That filter seems to me to be running way too strong. If the current running through that is too fast the filter is ineffectual plus the turbulence and noise would seem to me to be somewhat stressful to the fish. Just my humble opinion.
Jay Walsh

Rex82
03-30-2011, 05:43 PM
http://www.discusforums.com/forum/login.php?redirect=
this is the aus discus forum guys. doesn't get much use anymore though. I know that wilds can be brought from Bayfish in oz but the import processes they use leave a little to be desired.