PDA

View Full Version : They're all back and eating like nothing ever happened

atitagain
03-25-2011, 10:16 PM
Moved the Shakeskin out of the HT and back into the main. He looks a little rough still but overall is doing real well and claimed his dominant spot back in the tank.

http://www.chitown-angler.com/pichosting/albums/userpics/10006/recovered.png

Only thing that happened that has me a little confused is I had a small spike in my Nitrite's around .4 so it's pretty small. Daily water changes will continue until it's settles. Did a 40 5 yesterday and today and the level never moved.

If some could help educate me on how the the Ammonia and Nitrates never fluctuated off of zero that would be great. The tank has cycled and my understanding is that everything starts with an increase in ammonia and moves through each in kind of a small cycle itself.

I test the water every day right now and the ammonia never moved from 0, even had a LFS test some water with the same results.

Eddie
03-25-2011, 10:20 PM
Are you reading nitrites? What about nitrates? Sound like your filter is in the middle of cycle if you are showing nitrites. You want to keep those numbers low and add salt to help the fish during this stage. Your cycle will take longer but its safer for the fish.

atitagain
03-25-2011, 10:28 PM
Are you reading nitrites? What about nitrates? Sound like your filter is in the middle of cycle if you are showing nitrites. You want to keep those numbers low and add salt to help the fish during this stage. Your cycle will take longer but its safer for the fish.

nitrates - 0
ammonia - 0
nitrites -.4

I haven't touched any of the bio but did lightly wash the filter sponges in the water taken from the tank during the water change but that's it. There is a good amount of bio-max that hasn't been touched.

How long does a canister usally take to recover? It's an FX5?

And shouldn't I have seen a hit of ammonia first Eddie?

Jhhnn
03-25-2011, 11:43 PM
And shouldn't I have seen a hit of ammonia first Eddie?

I'm not Eddie, but I think he's right about your tank being partway thru a cycle. The bacteria that create nitrites from ammonia establish themselves quicker than those converting nitrite to nitrate, so the ammonia spike you anticipated isn't happening because the nitrite creating bacteria are present in sufficient numbers to convert ammonia quickly. Nitrites are poisonous, too, so lots of monitoring and water changing are in order to control that as the nitrite to nitrate converting bacteria establish themselves. As Eddie offers, use salt sparingly to help the fish with nitrites if necessary. When you start to see nitrates, it'll mean that the microfauna in the tank are reaching the desired healthy levels.

Capische?

Nice snakeskin, btw... I'm a sucker for snakeskins...

Eddie
03-26-2011, 12:26 AM
I'm not Eddie, but I think he's right about your tank being partway thru a cycle. The bacteria that create nitrites from ammonia establish themselves quicker than those converting nitrite to nitrate, so the ammonia spike you anticipated isn't happening because the nitrite creating bacteria are present in sufficient numbers to convert ammonia quickly. Nitrites are poisonous, too, so lots of monitoring and water changing are in order to control that as the nitrite to nitrate converting bacteria establish themselves. As Eddie offers, use salt sparingly to help the fish with nitrites if necessary. When you start to see nitrates, it'll mean that the microfauna in the tank are reaching the desired healthy levels.

Capische?

Nice snakeskin, btw... I'm a sucker for snakeskins...

What he said /\ /\ /\ :)

atitagain
03-26-2011, 08:53 AM
Capiche thanks Jhhnn. Didn't understand fully how it works until now. And thanks, the Snakeskin is my favorite. Glad he's back in the main.

Understanding that Nitrites are poisonous the levels are staying pretty low correct. At .4 it's a concern but not time to freak out. I'm going to do as you suggest and continue with the water changes and add some salt. I'm going to take a shot at the old 1 teaspoons per 10 gallons. They are in a 125, will it bother the loaches?

I understand that it's a guess but how long does it take for the microfauna to catch up?

Thanks again?

hillmar78
03-26-2011, 10:44 AM
With 0 nitrates it does sound like your filter lost all it's beneficial bacteria (unless it's heavily plated). So something must have gone wrong. Big daily water changes is the route to go because even a little nitrite is dangerous.

atitagain
03-26-2011, 12:46 PM
Will stay on top of the water changes.

Thanks.