PDA

View Full Version : Starting to Begin

pattiesouls
03-28-2011, 11:00 AM
Hello Simply people, I am a newbie I guess you all would say to this wonderful world of discus fish. I only have a few tanks at the momemt a 55 gallon and a 29 gallon or 30 maybe it is. I don't have any discus yet and I say yet because I want to get on the right page as far as keeping these elegant fish, I'm starting to read everything I can on here so I won't say or ask anything stupid or dumb. One thing I'd start out by asking though is should I start with one strain or try a multiple of different kinds? I plan on putting them in my 55 to start and see if down the way I can get a bigger tank for them. Also how many should I start out with, the guy I know that breeds them has some around 3" but also has some smaller ones of different kinds. I've read on here that your always saying go with a person from here to buy fish but right now I can't afford discus and shippng. Sorry, for the long post but any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you all PattieS

Skip
03-28-2011, 11:11 AM
One thing I'd start out by asking though is should I start with one strain or try a multiple of different kinds?
based on what you said.. go with what the breeder has.. its up to you, whether you mix or one strain.. if you can get the 5-6 3" fish.. that would be a great way to start.. if you try to get smaller.. you tend to get larger numbers.. BUT THEY WILL GROW larger... and you end up like me.. with about 10 discus i need to get rid of..

pattie.. if you like the breeders fish... go for it... esp. if you can get a good price on them.. just read the STICKY on WHAT NOT TO BUY...

where do live.. there may be some members that are near you.. and will give you addtional options! :)

welcome to SD!

moon_knight1971
03-28-2011, 11:51 AM
+1. This will be a good learning experience for you especially if you are not planning on breeding them (but be prepeared just in case they do lol). When I look at discus I feel like a kid in a candy store because of all the varieties and color schemes. I happen to like mixtures of discus but there is something impressive about seeing a tank full of the same strains as well. Welcome to the forum!

jaykne
03-28-2011, 12:17 PM
Hi Pattie welcome to SimplyDiscus!!! I'm Larry one of the Moderators here, if you ever have any questions or concerns about the forum feel free to contact me or any of the SimplyDiscus Team, thats what we are here for!!!

As for your question, warlock4169 or Skip gave you some good info, and I am sure other members will chime in. Best info I can give you is read as much as you can on Simply, plenty of good info here, also make sure you read and look through pictures of quality fish. I know if you buy from a Sponsor hear it can seem expencive but you get what you pay for, good quality fish!!! Also Pattie there are no dumb questions, if you have a question you can't find an answer to, just ask there are allot of good people here willing to help!!!

pattiesouls
03-28-2011, 04:42 PM
Oh thank all of you very much, I live near Mansfield, Ohio a little town called Lodi. It's half way between Cleveland and Mansfield. I've heard of acouple of people with discus that live within driving distance to me don't really know what there names are yet, but I will certainly check them out if possible. I've seen afew people on aquabid that by their pictures of discus look to me like they're nice, I think I remember a person in Florida that has wilds I really like the looks of them, but I don't if I'm ready for them yet. The thing is I would really like to get something that I would be proud to say I've raise them up from small babies or you know what I'm trying to say. I just don't know yet, my husband is getting more excited about what I'll be getting then I am. I just don't want to get in over my head, my hubbie said he would help though so i won't be alone. The problem there though he's a saltwater man all the way. Do these people that may live close by do they have a web-site so I can see what they have and size comparison's, here I go again with a way to long of post . Thank you all for helping me this far I'm really ewxcited I just want to jump in with both feet and try my hand at itbut I'm going to take my time. PattieS

Skip
03-28-2011, 05:00 PM
Central Ohio Discus is located in Galena, Ohio just outside of Columbus... Mike Beals.. he has some great fish!!!! and won several awards at NADA 2010!

pattiesouls
03-28-2011, 05:52 PM
I'll keep him in mind, I've heard of some other's from Aquabid I think one other is a LarryP and one more I can't think of his name, he just sold some Blue Diamonds and a Snakeskin pair I think. I'll have to ask around on Aquabid, I've think I've seen Mike Beals fish on there also. PattieS

RubyRed
03-28-2011, 08:21 PM
Hi Pattie,

I'm about an hour north of you in Vermilion. I highly recommend Mike B. I've been to his place a few times and his stock is excellent! His fish are always larger than he lists, and he's very willing to talk and answer questions.

Trish

pattiesouls
03-29-2011, 06:00 PM
Thank you Trish, can I ask you what you got from your visit and how many and what are you going to place them in? Also do you know hhow many posts you need before you can post pictures? Not that I have any yet but as soon as I do I'll be posting like a film student. Thanks for your info i'll definitly look Mike up..................PattieS

RubyRed
03-30-2011, 05:47 PM
Pattie,

I have multiple tanks like most folks on this site (180,90, 56,30). I've bought snakeskins and leopards from Mike. I plan on making a trip when his next shipment comes in, in mid April.
I think you need 10 posts before you can add pics... I also have some juvies from Hans. He actually brought them to the last OCA extravaganza for me..Hopefully he'll be up and running soon.

Trish

Eddie
03-30-2011, 07:56 PM
Hello Pattie! Welcome to Simply! Sounds like you are off to a great start by getting as much information as possible before starting out. You'll find that its pretty common for some folks to jump the gun and make some pretty easy to avoid mistakes, had they researched a bit. You'll find everything you need to know right here on Simply, plus you'll probably get a lot of things....that you didn't need to know. LOL

My suggestion, get what you want and then over time you will decide on what you like best as far as strain/type. Some people like a cocktail of different types in a tank, with many colors and some like a single strain tank. I myself prefer a single strain tank as it looks clean.

As far as size, 3.5+ inches is highly recommended for people starting out. Anything smaller and it might be a little overwhelming. Additonally, go with someone who has a very good reputation. You can check on here or see feedback on different sites. The sponsors on this site are all top notch and provide excellent quality fish so you will have to decide for yourself.

Also, if you'd like, I can shoot you a little checklist for success that will help you to make your first experience with discus...a lasting one. ;)

All the best,

Eddie

Oh, and definitely read this thread!

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?46982-What-not-to-buy

Fishwhispererpam
03-30-2011, 08:52 PM
Eddie, can you just post the check list on here? I'd like to see it to! ( Or I can send you my email )

Pam

Bud
03-30-2011, 09:01 PM
Mike Beals all the way,awsome selection,great quality,very professional,and FREEBIES,(shhhh)!;)

Eddie
03-30-2011, 09:35 PM
Eddie, can you just post the check list on here? I'd like to see it to! ( Or I can send you my email )

Pam

I'll shoot you a PM. :)