PDA

View Full Version : Flake turns water red/pink?

ericatdallas
03-29-2011, 12:33 AM
http://www.kensfish.com/kensflake/kenssuperbrineflake0001.JPG

http://www.kensfish.com/kensflake1.html

So I've been super-busy and after my fish starved for 3 days I finally got them to eat these flakes (they normally don't). Anyway, I fed them 3 times in the course of a day and the water became reddish/pink. I can even see it when I put it in the bucket.

Is this pretty normal? I don't think there's anything wrong with the flake food, just curious.

William Palumbo
03-29-2011, 12:41 AM
I have noticed that recently as well. The formula must have changed. I normally fed the Premium Super Brineshrimp flake with no problem, up until now...Bill

ericatdallas
03-29-2011, 12:52 AM
I do know there's food coloring but is it really that much?

William Palumbo
03-29-2011, 12:57 AM
I just noticed when I got my last batch, it was more of a pink/red color, as opposed to the orange color that it was. It must be a lot, because that water does turn pink, and I change mine everyday...Bill

ericatdallas
03-29-2011, 09:33 AM
I just noticed when I got my last batch, it was more of a pink/red color, as opposed to the orange color that it was. It must be a lot, because that water does turn pink, and I change mine everyday...Bill

Ditto, this my BB tank and I change my water at least once a day. The reason I switched to feeding flakes only for the day is because I wasn't sure I would be able to change the water this week. Anyway, I switched to earthworm flakes.

ericatdallas
03-30-2011, 02:35 AM
Hmm, the poop is now red... Bill, you have that problem? That might a little too much food coloring for my comfort.

William Palumbo
03-30-2011, 10:25 AM
Hi Eric...I have not noticed that. Tho they gobble it up, I feed it a couple of times a day between regular feedings. But it does not surprise me if fed as a majority of a diet, the poop can be red. I'm out now, and am considering continuing this flake or not. Glad I was not the only one who noticed it...Bill

ericatdallas
03-30-2011, 11:33 AM
Hi Eric...I have not noticed that. Tho they gobble it up, I feed it a couple of times a day between regular feedings. But it does not surprise me if fed as a majority of a diet, the poop can be red. I'm out now, and am considering continuing this flake or not. Glad I was not the only one who noticed it...Bill

Yeah, I doubt the coloring will impact them, but to be on the safe side, after I finish I'm going to discontinue using it. Although to be on the safe side, I'll probably buy something else. I have a ton of dry foods now anyway because both times I order from him I order some food on the side.

I e-mailed Ken yesterday to let him know just in case it's something he didn't know about or wasn't expecting - maybe he could dial back the coloring. I seriously doubt that any hobbyist that buys from him (probably more experienced hobbyists) would care what color the flake is.

ericatdallas
03-31-2011, 09:43 PM
Ken responded... I guess his supplier used a liquid dye instead of a dry one and he's asking them to dial it back some.

William Palumbo
03-31-2011, 09:47 PM
Good to hear Eric...Bill