PDA

View Full Version : Cloudiness, a stumper

MSD
03-29-2011, 12:41 PM
For some unknown reason one of my tanks with discus has a cloudy appearance to the water. Same food, same water change method, BB tank with a sump and bio-balls, used it for years now. But no matter how much water I change, use chemipure, polt filter, etal, I can not get it to stay clear overnight. I have other tanks and there are no problems, any thought??

Skip
03-29-2011, 12:56 PM
algae bloom?

MSD
03-29-2011, 01:22 PM
I had some green algae in the cloud, but cut the light in half and now its just white. I am going to try and change the return pump and hose to see if they are in some way responsible. Fist are all fine by the way, a little nervous because they can not see through the tank as usual.

Skip
03-29-2011, 01:32 PM
sorry.. i meant.. BACTERIAL BLOOM>. i had one of those one time.. does the water smell weird?

Vee
03-29-2011, 02:08 PM
UV sterilizer keeps my water very clear.

Second Hand Pat
03-29-2011, 02:38 PM
Is your sump clean? I have pulled my out a couple of times to hose it out as it collected a layer of yuck on the bottom.

Northwoods Discus
03-29-2011, 02:45 PM
I have one tank like that also. It is one of my breeder tanks. It gets several cleanups daily, 50% every day and once a week 90% if no eggs on the cone. It has one of barbs cones, a sponge filter and an air stone and heater. The tank next to it same setup minus the air stone. Same food. Has a pair of breeders like the other tank. They get the same food. R/O water with Replenish from same tank.
One is crystal clear the other a slight haze to the water after about 12 hours or so. HMMMM?
Ill take out the air stone and see if that makes any difference. Both tanks also have one BNP.

roclement
03-29-2011, 02:54 PM
Hi! If you had green algae and killed it by lowering the light, the excess bio die-off may be what you see but it should go away after a water change unless you had a mass die-off of bacteria in the filter as well.

Rodrigo

MSD
03-29-2011, 05:46 PM
I believe thats what happened Rodrigo, this tank was last used to treat some fish with meds, then I PP'd it to reuse again. I'm surprised its still cloudy and hasn't dispersed yet after a bunch of water changes.

Jennie
03-29-2011, 09:46 PM
any new driftwood?

MSD
03-30-2011, 10:06 AM
Nope Jennie, I had driftwood in the tank but removed it before I cleaned and refilled it.

William Palumbo
03-30-2011, 10:20 AM
Hey Mark...I used some Acriflavin for a batch of eggs in my breeding tank well over a month ago, and despite massive wc's, it's still has a tint of green in it. May never go away. I have had tanks that are all the same, and then one gets the cloudy thing going with it. Not sure why myself, but it's never a problem because I am changing water a lot. I have noticed before if treating with Formalin, this can happen...Bill

MSD
03-30-2011, 03:46 PM
I did use those meds Bill before the cleaning, what fooled me is how long the coloring can last! I got a HOT magnum and will see if that can help. I also put some clarity in there to aid the filter. This should be a good warning for us all of the consequences of using meds. an be very long lasting.

William Palumbo
03-30-2011, 04:29 PM
True Mark...When I used the Acriflavin, it was only half-strength thank goodness. It had a strange radioactive green glow to it. Like someone bled out a Predator in my tank! Not sure how it can linger around so long...Bill

MSD
03-30-2011, 05:38 PM
I hear ya, the stuff has a longer half-life then plutonium!

MSD
04-04-2011, 09:21 PM
Just to follow-up, I got the HOT filter and used the fine mesh filter and added a filter pad and charcoal with it and after a few more water changes my tank is crystal clear. Must have been the new cycle that led to a bacterial bloom. Thanks for all the help guys,it all worked!