PDA

View Full Version : Stocking order/qty questions

CajunAg
03-29-2011, 04:49 PM
I'm currently fishless cycling a drilled 65 gal tank w/ a 20gal sump, just starting to get Nitrites. It's just got sand substrate, manzanita, some round rocks, and fake plants. I plan to stock it with 6 adult discus, some Sterbai Corys (x6), Rummynose Tetras(x10-15), and a bushynose pleco. The discus will be from Kenny's, and everything else will be from the same source, liveaquaria.com.

My questions:
1) Once I am sure the tank is cycled (No ammonia or nitrites 12 hours after dosing with NH3), what is recommended to add first: the discus or the other fish?
2) How much time should I wait between adding the two sets of fish? I was thinking at least a month. With another 5-6 weeks quarantine, the first fish to go in the tank would have at least 2 months with the tank to themselves
3) Do my expected quantities of Corys and Rummynose sound good?

I know I will probably get a variety of answers, just looking for a consensus. Thanks!

moon_knight1971
03-29-2011, 05:08 PM
Sounds good. 4 - 6 weeks I think is the norm for qt. You ever think of feeding them medicated flakes? Think I'm going to give that a try when I get my next batch of fish and likely implement it with everyday feeding afterwards as a preventive option.

Eddie Wells
03-29-2011, 05:14 PM
CajunAg

Question 1 Once tank is cycled do 90 to 100 % water change then add discus. That's the way I would go on this one.
Question 2 Your plan sounds fine to me.
Question 3 Go for it !

Get ready to be addicted for sure !!!!
Good Luck ! And yell if you need anything.

Eddie Wells

CajunAg
03-29-2011, 05:19 PM
Thanks Eddie. Forgot to mention large water change will be done at the end of the cycling and before the fish come, while continually adding some ammonia in between to keep the bacteria happy :)