PDA

View Full Version : Now here's a Jager!

TURQ64
03-30-2011, 11:15 AM
I stripped down a breeder tank yesterday, and thought I'd snap a photo since there's been so much heater controversy as of late....This Jager is probably older than half of my fellow forumites...so, if any of you old farts have some, send 'em to me, as I need some for parts to keep a few others up and running...when they fail, it's due to moisture which corrodes the tiny wire of the coil, usually right where it terminates,so..I take 'em apart, and simply re-solder!...(check the condenser size, same as many in my old Fender amps!)....Gary
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv319/Royaliste/Fish/SDC15779.jpg

kevin joseph
03-30-2011, 12:49 PM
lol that old thing probly works better then the new ones!

William Palumbo
03-30-2011, 01:19 PM
WOW!...I never saw one that was not submersible...Bill

TURQ64
03-30-2011, 01:44 PM
I never had one fail while operating, only gets corrosion when put away for storage..In that respect, they are quite dependable, I just guess they probably are big contributors to our ecectric bill...
Bill, yep, hang on the back, and work forever!..This one's a 150w, I have a 300w that's about as long as my legs!..well, a little shorter, but still.....they turn and lock into the mounting bracket, and when you need to fix one, just unlock, and pry a small tab, and lift the guts out...simple for even my old arthritic hands...

2wheelsx2
03-30-2011, 04:14 PM
IMO, that's why most heaters failed, is that they are fully submerged. I no longer do that with any of mine, but put the controls (and the seals) above the water. Nothing can stay waterproof forever with the kind of heat/cooling cycles that we put them under, especially for something as warm as discus tanks.

TURQ64
03-30-2011, 06:52 PM
IMO, that's why most heaters failed, is that they are fully submerged. I no longer do that with any of mine, but put the controls (and the seals) above the water. Nothing can stay waterproof forever with the kind of heat/cooling cycles that we put them under, especially for something as warm as discus tanks.

You're probably correct on that....It's the weak link in more modern heaters..I'm going to torpedo my own post a wee bit; I didn't have my spec's on (gettin' old's a b*tch!) when I put the photo in...That's one of my old Supreme's in the picture; the Ebo's (Jager) are still at work in my Altum tank....They look look much the same . Especially with impared vision!....Gary

roundfishross
04-08-2011, 07:53 PM
man that thing was made back when they had bellows that pumped up to provide the airation

alron2
04-08-2011, 08:10 PM
Gary I still have several old Supreme heaters, they still work fine. Do you have any old supreme filters? They were not very enconomical but they sure moved the water. All of mine are dead.
Ron

TURQ64
04-08-2011, 08:16 PM
Funny you should ask..nope mine died too!...But the heater's are still warmin' right up! call me 'old fashioned', but if I can solder it, I can keep it running...Thanks for the post, Ron...

Eddie
04-08-2011, 08:30 PM
Hey Gary, that was the prototype they made just after the Ford T. LOL

Darrell Ward
04-08-2011, 08:46 PM
Gary I still have several old Supreme heaters, they still work fine. Do you have any old supreme filters? They were not very enconomical but they sure moved the water. All of mine are dead.
Ron

I still had a few of those old Supreme filters until about 10 years ago. Those things were great! The wife threw them out when we moved. When I found out about it, I was mad as hell!

TURQ64
04-08-2011, 08:52 PM
Supreme made good stuff...Like they cared about a good product, with profit being secondary..Not like products today...I still have two Danner double piston pumps..look like little engines.....pockety-pockety-pockety!

runner
04-09-2011, 07:58 AM
To anyone interested, before I use my submersibles i.e. visitherms I set the the temp, test it and then before extended use I silicone all around the top and sides of the cap. Works great, no more condensation.
Jay

jimmyjoe
04-09-2011, 10:26 AM
Never thought about that, great tip thanks alot...............Jim

Darrell Ward
04-09-2011, 02:43 PM
Supreme made good stuff...Like they cared about a good product, with profit being secondary..Not like products today...I still have two Danner double piston pumps..look like little engines.....pockety-pockety-pockety!

I'll bet if Danner brought back the Supreme "Super King" filter, they could now sell a ton of them with a modern pump, and a little marketing. I think they stopped production in the nineties, when silly "cartridge" filters became the rage. The hobby has grown a lot the past few years. It was by far, the most powerful HOB ever made at 600 gph. Nothing made was faster at filtering a mid sized tank. One of these filters was better than 2 Aqua Clear 110's, or even most canisters.

Sean Buehrle
04-15-2011, 11:07 PM
LOL

I have a couple of those. MY mom got them for me when I was like 11 years old and they looked like junk then. yep they still work. ebos are the best.