PDA

View Full Version : this is a bit insane!

boog3ee
03-30-2011, 10:46 PM
Greetings everyone!

So, its been a week since I got my first discus and I can officially say that they have more or less taken over my life!
And while usually at this stage people would still be worrying about their fish's eating habits, possible disease and weakness due to adapting to a new environment, possibilities of unstable water conditions and so on and so forth - and I do worry about all these things - things are getting a bit too intense and a bit too fast!
Bottom line, i can officially say that two out of three of my discus pairs have paired up and one pair has already laid a batch of eggs and the second will probably start any day now!
And while this should be great news, im not sure i can handle all of it at the moment; i dont have extra tanks for breeding and i cant afford to buy them right now, and the two breeding pairs are becoming very territorial in the 82G planted tank and making life a living hell for the remaining unaffiliated pair!
Is there a way to stop them from spawning, somehow postpone it for a few months until i get the hang of things and maybe i can get some extra tanks and cycle them properly? I mean chances are the spawning is not going to be successful in a planted community tank anyway even though it only has discus at the moment, and im planning to add some rummies, corries and maybe a couple of Siamese algae eaters.
Thank you!
Boog3ee

RWD HERO
03-30-2011, 10:48 PM
If they are laying eggs, you're doing something right.

Eddie
03-30-2011, 10:49 PM
Yeah, split them up but they'll pair with another fish. Breeding is what they do.

April
03-30-2011, 11:15 PM
Well you cam crAnk heat or alter the water to slow em down but not with plants.
Sell pairs if the eggs are fertile . Unproven pairs and then get a group of 4 inch discus. Get 6 . Or let them play house till they carry and sell as proven pairs.
Or sell the one that hasn't paired.
Or let them Judy keep trying but the one pushed could get stressed.

boog3ee
03-30-2011, 11:15 PM
I might be doing something right in giving them a decent environment, at least im doing the best that i know how to, but now im thinking that a 82G tank, despite the agreed upon ratio of 1 fish for each 10G, is actually too small for 6 adult discus, because as soon as they start pairing up and breeding they need more space. I guess that is what i didnt take into account...

boog3ee
03-31-2011, 06:37 AM
Well you cam crAnk heat or alter the water to slow em down but not with plants.
Sell pairs if the eggs are fertile . Unproven pairs and then get a group of 4 inch discus. Get 6 . Or let them play house till they carry and sell as proven pairs.
Or sell the one that hasn't paired.
Or let them Judy keep trying but the one pushed could get stressed.

I am now thinking seriously of selling either one of the breeding pairs or the pair that is not breeding, theoratically that would leave enough space for everybody, but wouldnt that leave me with 4 discus in a tank, which i have read many times can be even more volatile since it can cause even more aggression?!
Would the addition of smallish schooling fish to the tank, especially rummies, create a calming effect for the discus?
Or maybe i can spike their food with weed or xanax!! (joking)

andyl9063
03-31-2011, 10:12 AM
why don't you buy a splitter or those egg crates at home depot and split the tank in half.......

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202653781/h_d2/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&keyword=egg+crates&jspStoreDir=hdus&Nu=P_PARENT_ID&navFlow=3&catalogId=10053&langId=-1&ddkey=Search

April
03-31-2011, 10:34 AM
If you have two pairs they will choose their ends and be fine. If eventually they
Both
Laid they may
Even share fry

boog3ee
03-31-2011, 02:03 PM
i am watching the female of one of the pairs laying eggs as we speak, and the male is eating them immediately after... Not very surprising considering the hostile environment and the 7.8 high ph... Bit sad though...

White Worm
03-31-2011, 02:28 PM
why don't you buy a splitter or those egg crates at home depot and split the tank in half.......

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202653781/h_d2/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&keyword=egg+crates&jspStoreDir=hdus&Nu=P_PARENT_ID&navFlow=3&catalogId=10053&langId=-1&ddkey=Search

+1

boog3ee
03-31-2011, 07:32 PM
If you have two pairs they will choose their ends and be fine. If eventually they
Both
Laid they may
Even share fry

Egg crates in jordan are made out of card board... I'll ask my LFS for the splitter, i have a feeling he'll give me one of those "what planet are you from?" looks... I need to think outside the box...

boog3ee
03-31-2011, 09:55 PM
ok, just checked the egg crates you're talking about and... they are not actually "egg crates"... feeling a bit stupid...

gerrard00
04-01-2011, 09:54 AM
Don't worry about not knowing something! The folks on this board are eager to help and not judgmental or elitist towards newer folks.

boog3ee
04-01-2011, 11:55 AM
after a few weird, extremely violent acrobatic stunts by one of the non-affiliated fish during one of which she managed to give herself a nasty gash in the forehead i decided that i had enough, so i took back the unmarried pair to the LFS and he agreed to take them back and give me my money back! Its sad to see them go since one of them was my favorite fish, but i have no intention of ending up with a dead favorite fish in my tank!
Now the tank is so calm and serene!
And thank you all for the support, you are wonderfull!