PDA

View Full Version : Few Discus fun facts i discovered as a noob. Please correct me if i am wrong...

Sameen
03-31-2011, 11:42 PM
1. Discus are very friendly to other smaller fishes even though they fight with each other. I have seen discus stepping back and allowing other smaller tetras to eat first, and they are very cautious about them getting hurt.

2. Discus fights with each other but never mortally wound them.

3. Discus never attack another leaning down weak or sick discus.

4. Discus recognizes their master and they come and greet you even when they are not hungry.

5. After they know you, they will never hide during the water change.

6. They are really hardier than we think. I have seen other fishes dieing but discus still alive but sick tho, when i was a kid.

7. They heal like wolverine from wounds, cuts and sores if correct condition is provided.

8. One of the fishes that are not mammal but still feed its child.

9. They are more active during afternoon.

10. They respect the way you arrange stuff inside the tank and decorate them. They will never knock anything and make it fall.

11. They are sexy and metro-sexual. They breed very frequently and breed with any partner after some time.

12. They dont like guest staring at them. Because they can tell when ppl are looking at them. I know it coz i have noticed them looking at me but whenever i look back at them while being in the same spot in my room, they start dancing. And when strangers look at them, they just freeze.

13. They are lazy.

14. They eat more than any other fishes of their size.

15. They love to have friend to fight with. Whenever i bring new discus and float it on the surface before releasing it, all the other discus rush towards him and stare at him and greet him and try to get him out of the bag.

16. They can predict when food is coming and water changing is going to happen coz i have seen them getting excited.

And one last fun fact, They speak Spanish!! :p....

Vee
03-31-2011, 11:56 PM
Very cool facts. :)

Second Hand Pat
04-01-2011, 01:03 AM
I like that last fun fact...darn fish are smarter then me. :shocked:

John_Nicholson
04-01-2011, 08:51 AM
LOL...Since it is Friday and I am in a good mood I will just let this one go for now......

-john

Eddie
04-01-2011, 08:56 AM
LOL...Since it is Friday and I am in a good mood I will just let this one go for now......

-john

Lol

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Bud
04-01-2011, 09:50 AM
And they kind of remind me of my local sunfish species,which leads me to wonder how they taste.hmmmmmmm ;)~

White Worm
04-01-2011, 10:07 AM
# 10 - Ive had some that will knock things over like breeding surfaces and tank seperators.

Second Hand Pat
04-01-2011, 11:23 AM
And they kind of remind me of my local sunfish species,which leads me to wonder how they taste.hmmmmmmm ;)~

Expensive dinner...stick to the local sunfish.

Skip
04-01-2011, 11:38 AM
I like that last fun fact...darn fish are smarter then me. :shocked:

are you smarter, then a JUVIE DISCUS?
http://images.tvrage.com/shows/16/15228.jpg

RubyRed
04-01-2011, 11:53 AM
April Fools right?

Dudley Eirich
04-01-2011, 11:55 AM
Discus definitely have personalities. I guess that is why all us fan-atics spend so much time and money on them. I can't imagine doing that for a guppy or a goldfish. I have, however, built 4 outdoor water gardens (too many moves) for Koi over the past 20 years or so, but it isn't just for the fish. I like the whole ambience of a small garden pond.

Second Hand Pat
04-01-2011, 11:55 AM
are you smarter, then a JUVIE DISCUS?
http://images.tvrage.com/shows/16/15228.jpg

Ask yourself who's doing the WCs.

dadecountyalan
04-01-2011, 12:02 PM
i disagree a lot of facts you posted but number one has to be the one that i disagree with the most. my fish chase around and bully corey cats. also bite them if they eat there food. and they ate almost half of the tetras in the tank leaving only the ones that where to big for there mouth

MGKelly
04-01-2011, 12:31 PM
Fact #17 - Discus Fart, really they do!

Second Hand Pat
04-01-2011, 12:34 PM
Fact #17 - Discus Fart, really they do!

April's fools.

Sameen
04-01-2011, 01:52 PM
lol some people got mad or something? These are fun facts for a little comic relief among all the hard work we do behind it :P ...

zimmjeff
04-01-2011, 01:57 PM
that's funny stuff

ganesan
04-09-2011, 09:48 AM
hello sameen,
very true your observations about the discus,they are smart,hardy and just basics like regularW.C,maintaining good aeration,healthy food,BB tank with some driftwood,real plants either potted or attached with rubber bands with the wood and couple of large sponge filters,about 28 to30 degree celsius water temp is enough for any discus tank.KEEP IT SIMPLE AND STICK TO BASICS IS WHAT I RECOMMEND TO ANY DISCUS FISH KEEPERS FIRST,REST ALL IS NEXT.
ganesan

Sameen
04-10-2011, 12:45 AM
hello sameen,
very true your observations about the discus,they are smart,hardy and just basics like regularW.C,maintaining good aeration,healthy food,BB tank with some driftwood,real plants either potted or attached with rubber bands with the wood and couple of large sponge filters,about 28 to30 degree celsius water temp is enough for any discus tank.KEEP IT SIMPLE AND STICK TO BASICS IS WHAT I RECOMMEND TO ANY DISCUS FISH KEEPERS FIRST,REST ALL IS NEXT.

ganesan

Exactly man!

wendy9722
04-10-2011, 03:06 AM
lols