PDA

View Full Version : Nitrite in discus tank...any short term suggestions?

JPA
04-02-2011, 01:03 AM
My 40 gallon tank, which has been housing discus for a year and a half, is testing positive for nitrites. I switched Bio wheels so I think that is the cause. I've replaced the original wheel, but I was wondering if there is anything I can do to combat it in the short term so I don't lose my discus. I've done two water changes in two days.

I dont suppose prime will cause false readings for nitrite on an API test will it?

Knircky
04-02-2011, 03:19 AM
Stop feeding and by bacteria. Add bacteria every day don't change too much water so the bacteria can develope. If u don't feed u should be fine in a few days.

Eddie
04-02-2011, 04:53 AM
If you are not changing water with nitrites, you should add some salt to help keep the fish from dying.

flyman767
04-02-2011, 08:25 PM
Sounds like you may be going through a mini cycle? Unless the bio wheels physically break, they never need replaced. Also, how old is your test kit? Could be a false positive? Personally, I prefer the use of a quality bacteria additive to speed up the process.

Elite Aquaria
04-02-2011, 09:00 PM
I agree with Eddie add some salt.

Jhhnn
04-04-2011, 09:32 PM
Seems like you're having a mini-cycle. Salt helps fish cope with nitrites, but I wouldn't use a lot unless the fish seem stressed. Not feeding for a few days won't hurt, and changing water is rarely a bad idea.

What sort of nitrite level are you reading? If it's very low, it's not really a big deal, provided it passes. Paying attention and changing as much water as required, whatever that might be, should solve the issue. When nitrate levels start to rise, you'll be arriving at a complete cycle.

I don't think prime affects nitrite readings, but it gives false high ammonia readings with any test kit other than the Seachem ammonia test kit. If you use prime, you want that test kit. I like and use their nitrite/nitrate test kit as well.