PDA

View Full Version : amount of waterchange

Bud
04-03-2011, 10:53 AM
Just wondering the amount of water most members change on a daily basis.I do about 40% daily and I want their conditions optimal.Should I increase(water perams are good),because I know some people are doing like 80%daily.I have 2 white plastic 55 gal barrels that had degreaser in them and Ive been cleaning them for like 6months and theyve sat for 6 months,no trace smell or anything but I plan on getting barrel liners for them anyways,IF I should increase my volume of w/c.Oh and 6, 3-3.5" juvies in a 75gal with 5 feedings per day.What you pros think for grow out?(I think Im answering my own question) lol:confused:

TURQ64
04-03-2011, 12:22 PM
I think you DID answer most of your own q's!...more is better, but not if it outstretches your resources...

Skip
04-03-2011, 12:30 PM
why would you use barrel that had chemicals in them!?!!?!?!

look thru craigslist.. they have FOOD GRADE BARRELS for about $25 each.. ALL the time!! IHMO, don't use them...

broncofan27
04-03-2011, 12:49 PM
I can attest to what warlock said. Keep it simple. I have done the simple route and still I am having some issues. The less variables in the equation the easier it is to manage.

Bud
04-03-2011, 05:43 PM
mmm hmm thanx guys.@ warlock searched CL and there they were 20 barrels ,20$ apiece (liners are 14$ apiece..easy math.eh).never found em on there before,must of searched wrong.thanx again SD

Eddie
04-04-2011, 07:59 AM
100% every day, every tank. I'd do more depending on my stocking levels. That's just me though.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

kent1963
04-04-2011, 10:24 AM
[QUOTE=Eddie;748985]100% every day, every tank. I'd do more depending on my stocking levels. That's just me though.

How do you get them to tolerate this? My fish get extremely agitated if I lower their water to less then 4".

Lenin
04-04-2011, 11:58 AM
80% in the morning 80% at night on my growout tanks, the display tanks 40% every two days.

Eddie
04-04-2011, 07:31 PM
[QUOTE=Eddie;748985]100% every day, every tank. I'd do more depending on my stocking levels. That's just me though.

How do you get them to tolerate this? My fish get extremely agitated if I lower their water to less then 4".

Then don't lower it past 4", start filling on the opposite side of the tank that you are draining and let it run for a few minutes. Then stop draining.....et viola.

Although I don't do it that way, its just a method to keep your fish from being agitated. Knowing your fish is important. Mine don't mind to lay on their sides. When I start filling, I can feed them while they are on their sides and they'll eat like sharks in a pool. LOL

Jhhnn
04-04-2011, 09:12 PM
I have a batch feed water changing system where each tank is drained to a predetermined level & then refilled with denver tap water that's been treated, heated and aerated for 24hrs. Each tank fills from it's own 55gal plastic barrel. Basically, my two 75gal setups get 2/3 of their water changed almost daily, and the 120 gets nearly half. Each tank has 8 discus. Two tanks are now adults, and the third 75gal has Vietnam Flora from Kenny that I'm growing out. With that stocking and water changing regimen, I can basically feed with impunity and still maintain excellent water quality. I like big discus, and my adults definitely are big. I bought the VF's because I like 'em, anyway, and also because they're supposed to have the genetics to be quite large. So far, I've had excellent results, and I'm hoping that holds...

Bud
04-05-2011, 09:25 AM
Now correct me if Im wrong but these 55gal drums hold 60 gals a few inches from the top.Fishtank manufactures consider the volume of their tanks to the "lip" on the rim so my 75s really maybe a 70.So by those calculations Im hoping to change about 86% a day,but Id like to shoot for a hundy.I dont want to plumb in another barrel,maybe cut 8" off another barrel and find a plastic welder to add on an existing top????????

Jason K.
04-05-2011, 09:35 AM
86% is still a good amount of water, especially if your doing them daily. I have 2 55gal drum's plumbed together with a piece of 3inch pvc, just as easy to do that then weld a new to on another. which mean's another heater, air, etc.