PDA

View Full Version : Discus Set-Up will this work?

fishpedagogue
04-03-2011, 12:35 PM
Hello everyone. I was out of the hobby for the last few years and now I am slowly getting back in. Well, I have kept discus before and think they are one of the most interesting and stunning fresh water fish that you can keep. When I kept discus before my success was average not great. Here is my question, I plan to use a 112 gallon tank (5ft x 18") footprint for some medium to large size discus. I plan to use 1 Aqua Clear 110/500 and 3 sponge filters (#5). The tank will be bare bottom with some large pieces of driftwood. Do you think that this is enough filtration? Also, with this set up how many water changes do you think would be best. I was thinking 2 per week. My avatar, is a picture of discus that I had 3 years ago. Boy do I miss keeping discus. Please advise, thank you.

TURQ64
04-03-2011, 12:40 PM
More filtration and more water changes, my friend..

sourav.ghosal
04-03-2011, 12:51 PM
would advise you to keep a bare bottom tank...with more filtration and depending upon the feed you are planning to give water change matters.

Skip
04-03-2011, 12:54 PM
it wouldn't not hurt to get another 110.. that is rated for 110gallons.. so you are pushing its max load.. are those hydro 5 sponges?! 3 SHOULD be plenty..

roclement
04-03-2011, 01:14 PM
...how many fish in that tank? And what are you planning on feeding/how often?

Rodrigo

Jhhnn
04-03-2011, 02:51 PM
Two years ago, I started raising eight 4" discus into large specimens in a 120gal BB tank with a Cascade 1200 canister filter and 4 of the hydrosponge 3 filters from Ken. I also changed 50% of the water and siphoned off the poop on a daily basis. They were obtained from Kenny Cheung, heavily fed in Denver tap water, and still thrive in that same tank under the same regimen. Two of them may be an honest 8" long, and they're all over 6", easily. Ask the members who've seen my discus, Blkrob & Obsessed.

I now have other tanks of discus set up somewhat differently, but honestly believe that filtration can't be a substitute for water changes. I strongly urge anybody interested in discus to do whatever they can to make changing water quick & easy, to invest the time, effort, money and ingenuity in the means to accomplish that. All I know for sure is that it's paid off for me.

fishpedagogue
04-03-2011, 03:32 PM
it wouldn't not hurt to get another 110.. that is rated for 110gallons.. so you are pushing its max load.. are those hydro 5 sponges?! 3 SHOULD be plenty..

Yeah, maybe you are correct another AC 110 might be good. Yes, Hydro # 5 filters. I do know that adding a canister would be ideal but right now that's just not in the budget as good canisters are expensive. I was thinking of 3 - 5 medium to adult sized discus. As stated this would be a bare bottom tank. As for feeding I used to feed my discus blood worms and some NLS discus formula.

roclement
04-03-2011, 03:46 PM
3-5 adult discus in a 112gal being fed clean frozen foods and dry foods will be fine in the set-up you mentioned in your post, with the water change routine you mentioned.

Rodrigo

ericatdallas
04-03-2011, 04:04 PM
Yeah, maybe you are correct another AC 110 might be good. Yes, Hydro # 5 filters. I do know that adding a canister would be ideal but right now that's just not in the budget as good canisters are expensive. I was think of 3 - 5 medium to adult sized discus. As stated this would be a bare bottom tank. As for feeding I used to feed my discus blood worms and some NLS discus formula.

See if you can buy one on craigslist or buy a sunsun?

Altum Nut
04-03-2011, 07:34 PM
Yeah, maybe you are correct another AC 110 might be good. Yes, Hydro # 5 filters. I do know that adding a canister would be ideal but right now that's just not in the budget as good canisters are expensive. I was thinking of 3 - 5 medium to adult sized discus. As stated this would be a bare bottom tank. As for feeding I used to feed my discus blood worms and some NLS discus formula.

Welcome back once again Patrick,

I knew you could not stay away for much longer.
I think you are fine with your current set-up. When your budget allows, another AC110 or Canister will be plenty.
Try and not use FBW as their staple diet as they may ignore other more nutritious foods.
Give me a PM sometime if you’re planning on buying and looking for a good Discus source.
Best of luck buddy.

...Ralph

discuspaul
04-03-2011, 07:44 PM
Agree with Rodrigo and Ralph. Go for it !

Eddie
04-03-2011, 09:07 PM
I now have other tanks of discus set up somewhat differently, but honestly believe that filtration can't be a substitute for water changes. I strongly urge anybody interested in discus to do whatever they can to make changing water quick & easy, to invest the time, effort, money and ingenuity in the means to accomplish that. All I know for sure is that it's paid off for me.

Ditto!