PDA

View Full Version : Need feedback on breeder in my area

pattiesouls
04-05-2011, 06:20 PM
Hello everyone, well I think I found some discus from a breeder that lives in Lorain county. He says he's a member of Simply Discus his name is Jimmy, I've been over to his house to look at what he has available. He's got some really nice what he calls Red Tefe's, most where around 4.5" - 5" total length. He says he'll sell me the smaller ones about 4" for a good price I can live with that would be 4 fish of the kind. He also has some smaller grow-outs in a huge tank that there in, I was thinking I'd get the 4 Tefe's and some of the smaller ones for a total of 6 to throw in my 55 gallon that is cycling as I put down these words of wisdom. Want to know if anyone else has ever seen his fish he says he's post them on here awhile back, also putting the bigger fish in with the smaller ones would that create a problem. Thanks all. PattieS

Skip
04-05-2011, 06:48 PM
do you know the SD name?

Elite Aquaria
04-05-2011, 07:12 PM
pattiesouls,

I moved your thread to the General Discussion section. The Feedback section is only for people to leave either positive or negative feedback after you purchase a product from someone.

pattiesouls
04-05-2011, 09:39 PM
Has anyone seen or purchased discus from a breeder in my area named JimmyJoe? I've visited his place and saw some discus he's calling Red Tefe's, also some young juvies being grown out. The Tefe's are about 4" and really nice and round for the price, the grow-outs are small about 2 1/2" but still growing I think. He's said he's put pictures of them on here and the parents, I've seen them in person and I think they look nice. I just don't know anything about him, he seems like he knows alot about discus, we talked for quite a while. I'd like to get them along with some of his smaller ones if that seems like a good idea. I'm cycling my 55 gallon as I'm posting this, would like to put them altogether if that's okay. Thanks PattieS

Elite Aquaria
04-05-2011, 10:15 PM
Here is the thread I found that he posted ===> http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?81830-Thought-I-d-share-some-Pic-s&highlight=

pattiesouls
04-06-2011, 09:35 AM
Thank you Dan for putting me in the right place, I went to that link you gave me and seeing pictures I think has made up my mind. Since I don't know if I can post pictures yet I'm gonna ask Jim if he'll post an update. Thanks again, PattieS

flyman767
04-06-2011, 03:19 PM
PattieS,

I can't speak for the breeder you are referring too; however, I do live nearby your location. If you don't mind driving about 2 hours to Columbus, Michael Beals has some of the best quality Discus money can buy. He's a well known, reputable breeder here on SD and one of the nicest guys you will meet.

http://centralohiodiscus.com/

kevin joseph
04-06-2011, 03:33 PM
if i lived closer to jimmy i would have bought some fish from him by now for sure.im sure he sells quality fish for a decent price.i own fish from mike beals and bill deem and some of jimmys fish would look nice in my collection.

mmorris
04-06-2011, 04:07 PM
most where around 4.5" - 5" total length. He says he'll sell me the smaller ones about 4" for a good price PattieS

I wouldn't want to buy someone's 'smaller ones' even if the price is good unless they are from a younger batch.

pattiesouls
04-06-2011, 05:14 PM
Hello, I read and heard very nice things about Mike Beals, actually this breeder JimmyJoe referred me to him at first. I saw some fish of Jim's on Aquabid that he had up for auction an sent him an e-mail asking him about his discus the Red Tefe's he had up for bid. I'm not saying no to buying discus from Mike Beals it's just that after seeing Jim's an he is alot closer I think maybe his could be thew ones to start with. He is closer by about an hour and a half, also what I meant by the smaller ones is he has small discus from other pairs that he is growing out not from the Red Tefe's, I was thinking originally maybe buyiing small discus or grown-up discus. The point being maybe I would want to grow them out myself, but after talking with Jim and him explaining that I would half to feed alot more and do more water changes for young fish than older ones. I don't know if this makes any sense to you all but at the time I thought it did. PattieS

flyman767
04-06-2011, 05:35 PM
If he referred you to Mike initially..thats a good sign. Also, the advice given on purchasing adults over juvies is spot on with someone just getting into the discus hobby!

Skip
04-06-2011, 06:02 PM
yes... ALL NEWBIES think the same thing.. i am included.. that you buy small ones and save money.. but ADULTS are alot easier to care for AND less trouble... AND you know what you get..
you buy juvies..and out of 10.. maybe only 3 grow well! what do you do with the other 7 :(

anyways.. buy from beals.. its way to go.. :)