PDA

View Full Version : New Discus!!

strawberryblonde
04-05-2011, 08:02 PM
My new Hans discus got here late this afternoon and I'm busy acting like a mother hen, but oh my goodness is this exciting!

I can't take any pics of them yet since they've only been in the tank for about an hour, the lights are all off and they've made me sign a contract promising not to photograph them till they've had:
1) a nap
2) a hearty meal
3) gotten a mani/pedi

They are just so gorgeous though...whee! The flachen is the biggest and he's busy herding all the others around in the dark. Guess he's just letting them know right off the bat who's gonna be boss. LOL

Since I can't take pics of them yet, I at least thought I'd post a couple pics of the "unpacking process". Around here all boxes must be properly inspected and approved prior to opening them.

SB

Eddie Wells
04-05-2011, 08:09 PM
Can't wait to see pics, but the cats look like they are hungry !!!! :)

Feed them please !!

Eddie Wells

strawberryblonde
04-05-2011, 08:14 PM
I tried to feed them their normal kibble, but they meowed loudly and told me they want sushi tonight. LOL

jarret8x
04-05-2011, 08:19 PM
Just curious what did you end up getting from hans size and strain? Can't wait to see the pics.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Eddie Wells
04-05-2011, 08:21 PM
I tried to feed them their normal kibble, but they meowed loudly and told me they want sushi tonight. LOL

LOL NO SUSHI Tonight !!!!!
Can't wait to see the fish though !!

Eddie Wells

strawberryblonde
04-05-2011, 09:03 PM
Hi Jarret,

I have 2 brilliant turks, 1 red scrib, 1 flachen, 1 marlboro and a gift from Hans of a red turk. =) They're all about 4", though the flachen is slightly bigger (by a hair) and has already informed the others that he is going to be boss. LOL

I am shocked and thrilled at how fat and gorgeous they are after having to travel from MD to Idaho. I even managed to turn on some super low level lighting so that I could take a couple of pics. Darned fish kept heading for hiding spots whenever they saw the camera, but there are still one or two nice shots of some of them.

SB

moon_knight1971
04-05-2011, 09:10 PM
Sweet! Congrats SB!

jarret8x
04-05-2011, 09:12 PM
Very nice choices can't wait to see the pics. I'm also getting an order from hans mine will be coming saturday its gonna be a long week

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Second Hand Pat
04-05-2011, 09:12 PM
SB, just not fair having pictures of only the box. :mad: The cats are gorgeous. :grin: My cat, big boy Blaze likes to help with the WDs.

strawberryblonde
04-05-2011, 09:18 PM
Very nice choices can't wait to see the pics. I'm also getting an order from hans mine will be coming saturday its gonna be a long week

Awww, I hear ya! I was bouncing all around the house all weekend and then spent yesterday going over the tank one more time just to be sure that everything was ready for today. Couldn't sleep last night either. LOL

What strains and size are you getting?

strawberryblonde
04-05-2011, 09:21 PM
SB, just not fair having pictures of only the box. :mad: The cats are gorgeous. :grin: My cat, big boy Blaze likes to help with the WDs.

Hehehe, I know, I'm such a tease, huh? =)

I swear I'll get some pics just as soon as they stop hiding in the sword plants and start posing for me. Hopefully a big meal of FDBW will get them out into the open. I'm currently babysitting one of the brilliants that decided to dash himself against the glass when I put him in the tank. He gave me a huge scare, but it's been 2 hours now and he seems to be back up and swimming through the plants with the rest of the crew...so fingers crossed and knocking on driftwood.

SB

Second Hand Pat
04-05-2011, 09:36 PM
SB, I like to take pictures while my crew are eating FDBW. They move alot but pay me and the flash no mind so all good.

Second Hand Pat
04-05-2011, 09:38 PM
SB, you may know this and suspect you do but tank may mini-cycle with the new bio-load. WCs are your friend for this.

strawberryblonde
04-05-2011, 10:00 PM
Thanks Pat, I anticipate a mini-cycle and have my aqueon siphon hooked up and ready to go.

I actually didn't think about just HOW big the new bio-load is till I was putting the new fish in the tank. Suddenly it hit me that adding 6 fish to a tank that's been housing 2 rams and 2 cory's just might have some adverse affects. LOL

Then again, thanks to my sick Platy tank, I've had tons of practice doing those 80% changes every day for a month. (darned platies anyways!)

Thanks for the reminder though, it's good to know that you're looking out for me. =)

SB

Second Hand Pat
04-05-2011, 10:12 PM
Only reason I mentioned it was when I added 7 discus on my QT which also had an established bio bed had a nice mini-cycle.

Disgirl
04-05-2011, 10:43 PM
Your cats are beautiful and I wish you well with your new discus from Hans. Looking forward to pics when you they let you do it. What's in that little tank on your counter? BTW, I lived in Boise a long time ago, beautiful place!
Barb

strawberryblonde
04-05-2011, 10:49 PM
LOL, don't you just love mini-cycles?

I had a school of rainbowfish in the tank so the bio load was way up for awhile, but they've been in their own tank for several weeks now. I'm sure the bacteria has all readjusted itself by now. <sigh>

So is there anything else you've learned about the first few days that I should be aware of? They refused the FDBWs tonight, but gobbled up some pellets that I tossed in for the rams. LOL

Hubby is trying hard to act excited about all this...and he did actually stop to stare at the tank tonight and said "Boy, those sure are some graceful fish, huh?", so who knows, maybe one day he'll catch the bug.

Ok, I've typed long enough. Time to go stare at my babies again. They actually came right up to inspect my hand at the side of the tank a little while ago!

SB

jeepdad
04-06-2011, 10:47 AM
Congrats on the new additions!

Second Hand Pat
04-06-2011, 11:19 AM
Dim lights might help.

strawberryblonde
04-06-2011, 08:06 PM
Hi Barb,

That messy looking tank has 3 baby Sunburst Wag Platies in it. It includes a few dwarf sag and one butt ugly fake driftwood piece with java moss growing all over it. The top is usually flipped up on it because my kitten (the orange cat is only 6 months old) likes to peer in at the bio-wheel as it turns. I close the lid, he opens it.

Isn't Idaho awesome? There's a serious lack of LFS here though!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I solved the hiding problem! I was doing a WC and took out the driftwood piece with the big cave inside it. I was only going to give it a good scrubbing and then return it to the tank, but lo and behold, without the dw, they all came out to play today. =)

I told them they can have the dw back again when they earn it by being friendly. LOL

Ok, pics as promised. Not good ones since the sun was streaming in through the sunlights in the middle of the afternoon, and there were bits of food all over the place, but oh well, I can't be too choosy right now and hafta just click away when they "allow" it.

Hmmm, I can't upload any more pics. Well darn it, I'll go find a place to upload them to the web and then add them that way I guess.

SB