PDA

View Full Version : My 15 year old Bosemani Rainbow fish

Disgirl
04-05-2011, 10:34 PM
He had a very long life. I got him about 15 years ago as a 1" little fellow, soooo cute. He spent most of his life in a big tank of many different Australian Rainbows. They all lived long lives but this was my last one. When he was the last one left I moved him into my angelfish tank where he has lived happily for a couple years as the only rainbow in there. Last week he quit eating and today he died. I buried him under a bush in our yard. Here is a picture of him in with my angels. He is the blue and yellow fish off to the right of center, top of tank. I will miss his beauty in the angel tank.
Barb

Northwoods Discus
04-05-2011, 10:41 PM
Sorry for your loss Barb. They must be a long lived type. I had one for around 15 years as well. His back was crooked and stiff from arthritis but was always the most voracious eater.

Vee
04-05-2011, 10:48 PM
RIP little rainbow.

daverich
04-05-2011, 11:27 PM
You did great with him. He was a lucky fish.

April
04-05-2011, 11:39 PM
Wow I'm impressed. Sorry for your loss but heh what a lucky fish to have had a long stable home

Second Hand Pat
04-05-2011, 11:41 PM
Barb, sounds like he lived a good, long life. So sorry, Pat

Larry Bugg
04-06-2011, 12:10 AM
Sorry for your loss Barb. Rainbows are great fish. I kept them with angels also. My Bosemani were my favorites but Turqs came in a close second.

jball1125
04-06-2011, 12:24 AM
sorry for your loss. Beautiful fish and I am impressed at how long he lived.

Disgirl
04-06-2011, 07:56 AM
Thank you for all your sentiments, I appreciate them! This morning, with the sun shining into that tank for a few minutes, I miss his bright colors flashing around in the sunlight. Isn't it something how attached we can become to a mere fish?
Barb

saltydog
04-06-2011, 09:52 AM
sorry for the loss of such a a beautiful fish and yes it always amazies me how attached we become to such critters! :)

AngryBird
04-06-2011, 11:21 AM
Beautiful fish. I have had Bosemani and they are hyper active all the time. Sorry for your loss.

Disgirl
04-06-2011, 10:11 PM
Thanks Cammie and Prabhu. I used to have a 45 gal tank of about 6 types of rainbows, a pair of each, the turqs and reds and Bosemani were my favorites. Such beauties. I want another tank of them someday. Very hardy fish, wonderful colors, peaceful, just all round good fish to keep. Do many of you keep them?
Barb

scottishbloke
05-16-2011, 06:25 PM
Wow that was an old Boesemani! I'm sorry for your loss. You must have looked after him very well to get him to that amazing age. I have three 2 1/2" juvies in my 55g mixed 'Bows community tank right now, only about a year old. My oldest ever Boesemani was 8 years old, which is still not bad for a rainbowfish, since many species usually only live 4-6 years. I thought the normal maximum lifespan for a Boesemani was supposed to be around 12 years, but there you go!

Take Care,

Colin

Disgirl
05-16-2011, 10:18 PM
Thanks Colin, I was surprised how long he lived, but all his tankmates (different kinds of rainbows) also lived long. They all made it to about 13 and this one was the last at 15. Maybe it was our water, very soft but high ph.
Barb

strawberryblonde
05-18-2011, 08:43 PM
Awwww, so sorry for your loss Barb. It's awesome that he lived for so very long. He had a very good Mom!

I have 10 Praecox rainbows in their very own tank. Three females were living with my discus for a short while just to give them a break from all the male attention, but they're back in their own tank now and making babies for me again.

My original plan was to buy just one pair of Bosemani's and I'd already picked them out at my LFS, but wouldn't you know it, that tank was hit with some kind of horrid creeping crud the day before I went to pick them up. They didn't die, but the LFS owner refuses to sell them since they weathered a disease. They are now happily living in one of his tanks at home. And I still want Bosemani's! They are just so gorgeous and colorful!

Disgirl
05-18-2011, 09:21 PM
Thanks Toni, you know, all this talk about Rainbows makes me really miss all mine. A large tank full of different colors of them is just as beautiful as any discus tank. And they sure are long lived fish, and quite hardy too. They just loved playing in the water stream during a wc. I had very old Clown loaches in with them too, a good combo.
Barb

Pguntersmith
11-21-2012, 08:22 PM
I've had my rainbow fish for over 10 years. I noticed he wasn't well on Sunday. I've been treating him; thought he was better, but he's taken a turn for the worst tonight. Don't think he will make it. Most people don't understand how attached you can get to a fish.

Trier20
11-21-2012, 08:25 PM
Sorry to hear Barb! That was one beautiful fish! After 15yrs there should be something wrong with you if you didn't have some attachment to it. I'm sure you gave him a very nice and happy life!

shoveltrash
11-22-2012, 06:20 AM
15 years - amazing! a true testament to your good care :)

Isn't it something how attached we can become to a mere fish?+1, except I don't classify them as "mere" ;)
(((hugs))) Barb

Disgirl
11-22-2012, 08:15 AM
Thanks Brandon and Trish, I am over it now, this thread is from May 2011. To pguntersmith who brought it back, sorry about your fish. I still have a Festivum who is about 15-16 years old. He lives in the angel tank and loves to steal as many FDBW as he can possibly fit into his stomach, will pull them right out of the angels mouths to eat. He recently ate almost a whole cube at once, I thought it would kill him. Didn't!
Barb

shoveltrash
11-22-2012, 08:45 AM
[ I am over it now, this thread is from May 2011. To pguntersmith who brought it back, sorry about your LOL Barb!
My *early am SD reading* strikes again :laugh:

vicdiscus
11-22-2012, 10:34 AM
I am sorry , you are great take care of your pride lovely fish. Wow That was longest live ever I heard.

The Bosemani Rainbow are amazing.