PDA

View Full Version : newbie in discus eager to learn

champb21
04-06-2011, 02:21 AM
Hi My name is Brandon.... thank you for allowing me on this site. Past weeks I have been looking through so many threads while I get my tank ready for discus keeping. I have a 55 gallon with a sand bottom(nice couple inches probably of sand layered down).

Equipment so far
1 aqua clear 50 filter
1 tetra whisper 60 filter
1 digital thermometer
1 hang on glass thermometer
1 power outlet
gravel vac
couple gallon bucket as of now
test kit

Too much Filtration?

I have yet to pick up heaters. Any suggestions? Since I'm going to be needing to do water changes more often then usual any containers suggested for holding the water? Anything I missed that I have to pick up in order to house discus? Thank you for giving me your time.

broncofan27
04-06-2011, 10:30 AM
From what I have read here you need about a half inch of sand at most. Most will also say for most beginners it is highly recomended to go bare bottom for your first time. Just makes clean up much easier which I can attest to. You can see where all the poo is and easily suck it out. You definitely want to get a heater since discus need 84-86F. If you plan to store water you need a food grade safe storage container so that chemicals don't leach into the water. Also make sure to get some Safe or Prime to condition the water.

moon_knight1971
04-06-2011, 11:25 AM
I'd add a sponge filter and some airstones too. I thought "just 1 tank" myself but am now in the process of setting up 4!

PAR23
04-06-2011, 11:34 AM
Definitely agree with the sponge filter. How are you cycling your tank?

jaykne
04-06-2011, 12:17 PM
Hi Brandon welcome to SimplyDiscus!!! I'm Larry one of the Moderators here, if you ever have any questions, or concerns about the form please feel free to contact me or any of the other Team members here on SimplyDiscus!!!

If you plan to grow out some discus best to go bare bottom tank will make life much more easy!!!

TURQ64
04-06-2011, 04:23 PM
Heaters a re a big topic of discussion as of late, but I recommend a pair of Jagers...One leaves you vulnerable, two off er backup and less wear on a single unit...

champb21
04-06-2011, 08:25 PM
thank you guys for all the input.... I already have the sand down and I plan to keep an eye very close on the excess food and waste produced. Today I was at petsmart because I had to make a delivery for my dad and I just picked up a aqueon 200 watt heater.

I am cycling my tank by putting the tap water conditioner in, the tank has been running for a little over 5 weeks with the filter I had on my other tank so that filter already had bacteria. I do weekly water changes and I just been testing so far everything perfect knock on wood. Am I doing it right?

broncofan27
04-06-2011, 08:51 PM
Do you have any fish in the tank to keep the bio filter going?

wendy9722
04-06-2011, 09:00 PM
Hi My name is Brandon.... thank you for allowing me on this site. Past weeks I have been looking through so many threads while I get my tank ready for discus keeping. I have a 55 gallon with a sand bottom(nice couple inches probably of sand layered down).

Equipment so far
1 aqua clear 50 filter
1 tetra whisper 60 filter
1 digital thermometer
1 hang on glass thermometer
1 power outlet
gravel vac
couple gallon bucket as of now
test kit

Too much Filtration?

I have yet to pick up heaters. Any suggestions? Since I'm going to be needing to do water changes more often then usual any containers suggested for holding the water? Anything I missed that I have to pick up in order to house discus? Thank you for giving me your time.

Sounds like ya need some really good food. A couple different kinds is best. A couple basic meds on hand and some salt. Plus a lot of reading yet to go. Sounds like ur on the right path. Oh and a camera! LOLS!!!! We like pictures

Welcome to SD!!!!! :thumbsup:

champb21
04-06-2011, 09:44 PM
not at the moment. Should I?

QUOTE=broncofan27;749959]Do you have any fish in the tank to keep the bio filter going?[/QUOTE]

broncofan27
04-06-2011, 10:49 PM
Yea cause the bio filter works off the waste of fish and decaying food.

jeepdad
04-07-2011, 12:19 AM
Hey Brandon, welcome aboard! Don't forget to get a large net. Also I have the same heater that you bought in my 55 gallon tank and I like it. I have a Jager in my 90 gallon. Trust these guys on here when they tell you to go bare bottom! I've always used gravel in the past because I thought bare bottom was ugly. Finally this last time around I went bare bottom and added a couple artificial plants from the dollar store in some cheap terracotta pots and I think it looks nice, but the best benefit is how easy it is to keep clean, and I now don't have all the filth and debris building up. Plus I focus on the discus and not the landscaping.

I use airline tubing and rigid tubing to siphon out the junk off the bottom of the tank. The fish don't mind it. Good luck with however you go!

champb21
04-07-2011, 06:53 AM
any fish I should get right now to start?

Yea cause the bio filter works off the waste of fish and decaying food.

champb21
04-07-2011, 06:53 AM
thank you for advice

Hey Brandon, welcome aboard! Don't forget to get a large net. Also I have the same heater that you bought in my 55 gallon tank and I like it. I have a Jager in my 90 gallon. Trust these guys on here when they tell you to go bare bottom! I've always used gravel in the past because I thought bare bottom was ugly. Finally this last time around I went bare bottom and added a couple artificial plants from the dollar store in some cheap terracotta pots and I think it looks nice, but the best benefit is how easy it is to keep clean, and I now don't have all the filth and debris building up. Plus I focus on the discus and not the landscaping.

I use airline tubing and rigid tubing to siphon out the junk off the bottom of the tank. The fish don't mind it. Good luck with however you go!

CajunAg
04-07-2011, 08:18 AM
Brandon, a lot of people (myself included) use the fishless cycling method to cycle our tanks. Just google "fishless cycling method". With your already established bio filter, you could have the tank cycled quite quickly, but if you don't feed the bacteria with pure ammonia or fish waste (ie have fish in the tank), the bacteria will die off and you'll have to start all over again. I'd put your filter back on the other tank to re-establish the bacteria, do some google research, and go to ace for the ammonia. You'll be ready in no time.

To your list of things to get, I'd add a test kit (API Master Freshwater is popular), a notebook to write everything down, and some sort of cover & light system, or maybe you just forgot to mention that :) Good luck and keep us posted.

CajunAg
04-07-2011, 08:43 AM
I also wanted to mention that there is a very good discus beginner's guide stickied to this part of the forum, it's called Beginner's Guide to Getting Started with Discus (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?86009-Beginner-s-Guide-to-Getting-Started-with-Discus), by discus paul. Give that a read through as well, it will also explain fishless cycling

champb21
04-07-2011, 09:01 AM
thank you and I do have a light fixture and cover. I will be picking up the master test kit for a better reading. Ill go out and look for the ammonia thanks.

cajunag-thank you I have read that a couple times but never paid attention to the cycle because I thought I was good if my tank readings were good.