PDA

View Full Version : Losing Fish fast! Need your help

henpecked
04-09-2011, 11:57 AM
Problem: How do I treat this:confused:

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started:
In 75g show tank. First Discus died, then angel, one more discus, all within one week. First noticeable sign is loss of weight, even though they eat normally.
Tetra and Plecos not affected.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds):

Losing weight,hiding, a bit of cottony fungus between the eyes on one that died(none on fin/tail), eating normally, some gill irritation towards end.

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

Used Maracyn 2 and Quik Cure, but I think they were too far gone to do any good. Died in day or two.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish.
75g, 6 4"-6" discus, 2 angel, 20 cards, 5 small BN. Run 2 AC110 filters.

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

WC every 4th day, planted in gravel with tabs, add Prime and Excel according to directions every WC. running 3 years

6. Parameters and water source;

- temp 84
- ph 7.6 (limit on scale)
- ammonia reading 0
- nitrite reading 0
- nitrate reading 0
- well water- no
- municipal water- Chicago Tap water

7. Any new fish/plants added recently
Plants in the last 3 months. One new fish came in laying on bottom for 4 days. Thought he was goner, but one day he was swimming around normally and stayed that way til he died 2 weeks later.

TURQ64
04-09-2011, 12:34 PM
Sorry to hear of this. The tank sounds out of balance for growing Discus..I don't know if I trust the water parameters you listed...You need an accurate reading on the points listed..1) you need an accurate ph reading, not just 'limit on the scale'..A liquid reagent type test kit will allow aan accurate reading. 2) IMO, you can't read 0 ammonia, ) nitrates, 0 nitrites etc with a planted tank with recent deaths in it..3) It's also my opinion that you change too little water for these readings...I'm a BB tank guy, so perhaps Jeff or a planted tank person can answer more to help your diagnosis.. Best of luck, Gary

PAR23
04-09-2011, 12:45 PM
I am thinking internal worms. Have they been de wormed? Where did you get your fish? What do you feed them? If they are eating, I would give them fenbendazole medicated flake from Angel Plus

nc0gnet0
04-09-2011, 12:59 PM
I am always highly skeptical of anyone that posts nitrate readings of 0. Are they all still eating vigoursly? What do you feed them? Do you have a Qt tank? Can you post pictures? My first guess is internal parasites as well, but could be an internal bacterial infection. What color is their feces?

jpdevol
04-09-2011, 02:33 PM
When was the most recent fish added and did it come from a local store? What breed Discus; what breed Angel?

flyman767
04-09-2011, 03:01 PM
You definitely need to ascertain your Ph.. it could be 7.6 or 10.6+? Nitrates 0 ?

My experience has shown anytime a fish is eating normally(as you stated) but still losing weight, one should consider a deworming.