PDA

View Full Version : White worms question

Lenin
04-11-2011, 10:16 AM
So I got a white worms culture about 5 months ago didn't pay much attention at first, so two months ago I placed them in a shoe box plastic container about 12x18 in, used coconut fiber as bedding and plain yogurth to feed them, well in the last couple of weeks the culture has exploded and today I'm buying another shoe container to have at least two cultures as recommended, question is before I go any further do these carry parasites or something that I should be aware of?, just making sure after all the work of getting rid or nematodes and parasite worms I do not want to start with that again

Eddie
04-11-2011, 09:06 PM
They should be quite clean, they are cultured in your own place and away from outside possibilities of contamination/infestation.

Lenin
04-11-2011, 10:16 PM
Yes, today I had to start feeding the fish, they are just too many and if I leave them the culture will crash, and tomorrow I'm making that second culture, thank you.

discuz
04-11-2011, 11:48 PM

jimg
04-12-2011, 09:02 AM
white worms carry nothing that can harm discus, they are not aquatic

gills
04-12-2011, 02:21 PM
great source of live food. Fish will go nuts over them once they start eating them. they are clean source of food.

Lenin
04-12-2011, 02:45 PM
Yes, I fed them this morning to them, since they're just coming out of a levamisole treatment they usually don't have an apetite till after a couple of days, these jumped in front of them yelling at them to eat them, they just couldn't resist.

CliffsDiscus
04-13-2011, 01:23 PM
Try using a larger box like a sweater box and add some peat moss with water and bread.

Cliff

White Worm
04-13-2011, 04:00 PM
You could probably start a few more cultures and try some cooked rice.

Lenin
04-13-2011, 04:05 PM
I actually broke the culture into 4, I'm just trying the best method to keep them at a cool temperature, I placed them in a styrofoam cooler in the fridge and was keeping 60 but in the morning they were at 40 so I have to use ice packs and see if that works, any suggestions?

mmorris
04-14-2011, 12:31 PM
Can't help you there. I store mine in the basement. I have tried a variety of foods in the past and the best that I have found is wheat bread dampened with water. Cliff - why peat moss? Do they like a low ph? I've always used potting soil.

acroken
04-14-2011, 12:53 PM
I actually broke the culture into 4, I'm just trying the best method to keep them at a cool temperature, I placed them in a styrofoam cooler in the fridge and was keeping 60 but in the morning they were at 40 so I have to use ice packs and see if that works, any suggestions?

you can try setting your fridge on a timer if it is only for the white worms. Set the timers to only have the fridge run 15 minutes every 4 hours and adjust as needed. You can use one of these http://www.amazon.com/Refrigerator-Freezer-Thermostat-Temperature-Controller/dp/B000EXROSE. Or you can move the temp probe from your fridge into your freezer and that would cool the fridge compartment. If you have a dial to set your fridge temp pull it off and look for a small set screw. This is usually right next to the base of the temp control. This is the calibration setting for the temp. counter clockwise is to raise the temp. All depends on how involved you want to get.I raise a lot of white worms and find them one of the best natural foods you can feed.

Kenny

Lenin
04-14-2011, 03:54 PM
actually I have a home made kegerator with that controller that I don't use anymore, so I think I can use it for this just need to change a few things on it again, it's big too, so let's see what happens.

Elite Aquaria
04-14-2011, 04:09 PM
lenver,

I would love to get a starter culture of White Worms. Any chance of shipping any to Florida???

acroken
04-14-2011, 04:25 PM
lenver,

I would love to get a starter culture of White Worms. Any chance of shipping any to Florida???

i have you covered Dan. Pm me your address and i send them to you.

Kenny

Lenin
04-14-2011, 04:28 PM
Well I just broke down the culture I'll let them marinate a bit so they can grow and I'll let you know, as it is I'll give the first batch to Skip since he's definetly been helping me and he's in the same town as me.

Elite Aquaria
04-14-2011, 04:37 PM
i have you covered Dan. Pm me your address and i send them to you.

Kenny

Thanks bro...you got a PM...

Skip
04-14-2011, 05:13 PM
What... ?! More worms?!... Idk... lol

Lenin
04-14-2011, 06:55 PM
These are the ones you actually want, lol, I know I'm fighting worms also

gills
04-14-2011, 08:22 PM
you can also buy a wine cooler.

White Worm
04-15-2011, 12:42 AM
I used a mini fridge at the lowest setting and it was fine.

Vee
04-15-2011, 04:53 PM
My order of white worms from AngelsPlus arrived DOA and he won't resend since they will probably arrive dead again. GRRR. Anyone with white worms in the midwest willing to send me some? Apparently, they will only survive if they can arrive within 2 days.

White Worm
04-15-2011, 04:55 PM
yep, if it gets warm, they will turn in to a pile of mush.

JL15219
04-15-2011, 05:07 PM
yep, if it gets warm, they will turn in to a pile of mush.

Yeah thats why I was kind of hesitant about ordering them.........

gills
04-16-2011, 11:58 AM
If you can get some they are a great food. They do almost melt and are gushy when they get to warm. I like the suggestion of putting a fridge on timer might try that. Fridge on warmest setting keeps defrost going on me. Once you can get the temp. right they will take off. I think 55 to 60 degrees is a great temp. range.

CliffsDiscus
04-16-2011, 12:56 PM
Can't help you there. I store mine in the basement. I have tried a variety of foods in the past and the best that I have found is wheat bread dampened with water. Cliff - why peat moss? Do they like a low ph? I've always used potting soil.

Hi Martha,
I use the peat because potting soil becomes too dense after awhile, had 20 fish boxes on the garages floor but the rats got to it.

CliffsDiscus
04-16-2011, 12:59 PM
Anyone in the San Francisco Bay Area that wants to purchase some Whiteworms, Fairly Lake Discus has or had them for sale at dirt cheap price.

Cliff

m.ingram
04-17-2011, 06:32 AM
Quick question what is the best thing to feed white worms .I got told bread soaked in water is all they need is this true?

mmorris
04-17-2011, 07:32 AM
Hi Martha,
I use the peat because potting soil becomes too dense after awhile, had 20 fish boxes on the garages floor but the rats got to it.

Thanks Cliff. Yes, the potting soil does get dense. I have some peat so I'll give it a go.

gills
04-17-2011, 08:23 AM
Bread, Bread with plain yogurt, Baby oatmeal. There is a guy on youtube that has some good videos. Just type in white worms or white worm cultures and should pop up. I think his last name is Ramsey.

m.ingram
04-17-2011, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the addvice i will look it up .

White Worm
04-20-2011, 12:23 PM
Bread with water or yogurt. I like quaker oats or cooked rice for feed.

skie
03-07-2014, 05:46 AM
hey acroken any way of getting my hands on Jack Wattley turquoise ...sorry for the random post but i coulnt message you direct. send me a private message with your answer if you wouldnt mind. any information would be so helpful. ive been searching for a good US source for quite sometime

Skip
03-07-2014, 09:01 AM
hey acroken any way of getting my hands on Jack Wattley turquoise ...sorry for the random post but i coulnt message you direct. send me a private message with your answer if you wouldnt mind. any information would be so helpful. ive been searching for a good US source for quite sometime

Click his name.. u will see he aint logged in 3 years...

skie
03-07-2014, 09:32 AM
Sorry I'm still working out the kinks. I'm realitivly new

Skip
03-07-2014, 10:43 AM
Sorry I'm still working out the kinks. I'm realitivly new

Click name.. >> view profile>>>
There u will see join date.. current activity ... last activity. .

U have been here 3 months.. this is good info.. when looking up older threads on ur quest for original wattley strain

donnacona
03-09-2014, 10:07 PM
I like things simple so when I got a culture I started like the guy on U tube but they would not multiply very fast, found out that using well watered oatmeal they multiply like wildfire and I keep them in a wall unit no fridge. I use 3 large plastic containers (with miracle grow potting soil, oatmeal and small holes in the cover for air) from the dollar store. To get a culture see if you have an aquarium club in your area there will most likely be someone there that has a culture to give or sell you.

Bjanzen
04-29-2014, 07:40 PM
I have had a white worm culture for about a year. I got a wine cooler back in December and I have been trying to get the right combination of temp, water, food, collection method. I have found that 55 works better than 60 in terms of growth rate and bread is more consistent than oatmeal. Lately I've been riddled with copious amounts of micro size worms. I assume that these are babies and not another variety. Anyways I am having a tough time harvesting mature worms without getting a bunch of tiny worms. I have tried glass plates, screen.. Wiping my fingers around the edges gets a few but not the amount I want and consistent quantities. I currently have 6 cultures going and have split them twice to keep them in check. Suggestions?? http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/30/byte3epa.jpg

Bjanzen
04-29-2014, 09:08 PM
I thought I posted here earlier..... Anyway... Can't see it.

Here is a picture of one of 6 cultures. I seem to have tons of baby worms and trouble harvesting the adults.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/30/mymy3aha.jpg

Bjanzen
04-29-2014, 09:10 PM
I have tried to lay glass over the worms, screen over the food, wiping the sides. I have no trouble when the population explodes but if I just pick up a clump I gets tons of tiny tiny ones and not the mature worms

Bjanzen
04-29-2014, 09:12 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/30/u5ymepyq.jpg

Bjanzen
04-29-2014, 09:13 PM
Why are my posts with pictures disappearing?? Can anyone else see them?

Second Hand Pat
04-29-2014, 09:38 PM
Why are my posts with pictures disappearing?? Can anyone else see them?

They are being placed in a moderated state and have to be approved. This is happening because you are a new member posting pictures.

Bjanzen
04-29-2014, 10:04 PM
Okay.... Thanks.

Bjanzen
04-30-2014, 04:10 PM
I have had a white worm culture for about a year. I got a wine cooler back in December and I have been trying to get the right combination of temp, water, food, collection method. I have found that 55 works better than 60 in terms of growth rate and bread is more consistent than oatmeal. Lately I've been riddled with copious amounts of micro size worms. I assume that these are babies and not another variety. Anyways I am having a tough time harvesting mature worms without getting a bunch of tiny worms. I have tried glass plates, screen.. Wiping my fingers around the edges gets a few but not the amount I want and consistent quantities. I currently have 6 cultures going and have split them twice to keep them in check. Suggestions?? http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/30/byte3epa.jpg

Now that the moderator has posted this..... Maybe someone has some ideas??

**** ClassiCutCustoms.com. ****