PDA

View Full Version : How should I stock my tank?

BradC
04-14-2011, 01:05 PM
Hello everyone!

I have a 55 gallon with driftwood, pool fiilter sand, lightly planted and with 2 sterbai cory cats.

First I was going to get six 3-4" discus. Then I thought between the constant WC's, maintinence, etc.. it would get to much. Also feel like within time they will outgrow/be crowded in my tank.

The other idea I was having is I would get a proven pair and add a small school of rummynose tetras. My only concern is with aggression between the pair? Will they like each other for a little while then start fighting, etc?

Basically I want something that will look good and will last in the long run (not having to get rid of fish due to overcrowding, etc..)

Any help/opinions would be appreciated! Thanks!

Northwoods Discus
04-14-2011, 02:13 PM
A pair would be OK and sometimes they fight but other times....... Hans sometimes has confirmed and unconfirmed pairs. A pair will be higher priced. If you are concerned about lots of water changes don't get small or juveniles go for adults.
If you get a pair and they start breeding you won't be able to stop your self. Be prepared to get the bug. add on 10 more tanks just because well .... you can't not.
Good luck with whatever you choose to do. I just got fish from Kenny You would not regret an order from him! In a 55 you could have 5 or 6 with good filters and water changing regimen.

BradC
04-14-2011, 08:35 PM
Thanks

Price really doesnt matter. Six 4" discus is almost the same price as a proven pair. What size is considered adult? Also those of you who have proven pairs, how often do you see aggression between them?

Thanks again!

BradC
04-15-2011, 12:19 PM
Anyone else?

TURQ64
04-15-2011, 12:49 PM
They are all adult cichlids...They'll be aggressive when and where they choose. It's not abnormal....