PDA

View Full Version : Mixing RO and tap

atitagain
04-17-2011, 09:44 AM
I've got three different barrels set up in the basement for water. One is RO the other is tap and one for mixing.

I've been adding the tap to the empty barrel and hitting it with prime and then adding the RO before pushing it up to my second floor tank. Buddy of mine said that mixing it like that is wrong but really had no rational behind the statement. The mixing barrel is emptied and dried after every WC.

Is it a problem?

The fish don't seem to notice and are doing 100% better since I started the mix.

jimg
04-17-2011, 10:38 AM
does not matter how/when you mix it as long as when it gets to the tank it is the same as the tank and stable

atitagain
04-17-2011, 01:16 PM
That's what I thought Jim.

I asked him how it was any different than when it hit the tank and the conversation went to a different direction.

DiscusLoverJeff
04-19-2011, 02:34 PM
I personally have 2 34 gallon aging barrels. Both get a mix of 80% RO and 20% Tap at the same time, no need for a third barrel. The only reason I have two barrels is for two different temperatures (1 - 85 degrees for discus and 1 - 80 degrees for other tanks). Once I have my water mixed (24 hours) I test the TDS, ph and Kh and Gh. Since I have been doing this for a while now, I don't need to check as often I use to.

The reason I mix the water together in the same barrel is to save time during water changes and it avoids any spikes from emptying the RO barrel and then the Tap barrel into the tanks or different barrels.

atitagain
04-19-2011, 04:22 PM
Are you adding prime at the time you mix Jeff or to the tank when you do the WC?

And thanks for the response.

Jason K.
04-19-2011, 05:46 PM
I do like jeff, 80% r/o 20% tap. I simply add the 20% out of the tap, turn on the r/o unit, heater and airpump... good to go.