PDA

View Full Version : bristlenose pleco with juvie discus???

andyl9063
04-17-2011, 08:55 PM
I have in my 30g tank and its a tall tank so its a pain to clean.........................

would the bristlenose do fine? I know they do fine in regular setup tanks with discus, but not juvies........

any problems?

Altum Nut
04-17-2011, 10:30 PM
Hey Andy,

What do you mean by cleaning????
Is your tank bare-bottom or planted with gravel or sand or other???
I would lean towards 2" Albino BN with Juvie Discus

...Ralph

PAR23
04-17-2011, 10:46 PM
Hey Ralph,

Just curious, why Albino vs the brown strain?

andyl9063
04-17-2011, 11:00 PM
It is bare bottom. Im talking about the slime and some brown algae. I got 1 albino in there right now.

Eddie
04-17-2011, 11:20 PM
Seen full grown plecos with fry/juvies but that doesn't mean anybody can do it. ;)

Altum Nut
04-17-2011, 11:40 PM
Hey Ralph,

Just curious, why Albino vs the brown strain?

Hey Peter,

Just from my experience, my ABN do a much better job once lights are out and never had a issue with them attacking Discus slime-coat.
I've had regular gold spotted and Gibbicep plecos which are more laid back with cleaning glass and at times found them going after my Discus.

It is bare bottom. Im talking about the slime and some brown algae. I got 1 albino in there right now.

Hey Andy,

For starters, a 30g BB tank should be a breeze to wipe down once a week.
You would be fine with 2 or 3 more ABN, as they are better adapted in groups anyway.
Brown algae is normally caused during during a new tank cycling stage but not for all.
If planning on keeping Discus, I would not depend on plecos but regular maintenance from the keeper.

...Ralph

Eddie
04-18-2011, 12:22 AM
Hey Andy,

For starters, a 30g BB tank should be a breeze to wipe down once a week.
You would be fine with 2 or 3 more ABN, as they are better adapted in groups anyway.
Brown algae is normally caused during during a new tank cycling stage but not for all.
If planning on keeping Discus, I would not depend on plecos but regular maintenance from the keeper.

...Ralph

I agree

vera
04-18-2011, 05:04 AM
u'll get different opinions from experiences , mine were doing fine and with BN and with common plecos

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o192/vera80/bush086.jpg

andyl9063
04-18-2011, 08:25 AM
i know i know.

i have been cleaning the tank, but the wipe down is ridiculous. It is mostly the slime coating stuff. I change the water every other day. I have the albino in there right now, i check this morning and all of them are fine.

ericatdallas
04-18-2011, 08:57 AM
I threw two plecos in for the slime on the sides too... juvies with Hypostomus plecostomus. It actually wasn't a problem until the Discus got bigger and had more surface area... even then it wasn't really a problem as the pleco never latched on but I removed him anyway since you could tell he was thinking about it. I still keep one in there, I figured it was a lack of food (when I had two, there wasn't enough).

I did that two days ago... we'll see if it lasts... I'll remove the other one if I see problems.

andyl9063
04-18-2011, 09:23 AM
my albino is about 2.5 in. They were picking on him first when i put in there. They thought he was food hahahaha.

Eddie
04-18-2011, 09:27 AM
my albino is about 2.5 in. They were picking on him first when i put in there. They thought he was food hahahaha.

It happens, they can kill them if the Abn are very small.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

andyl9063
04-18-2011, 09:33 AM
it was only a couple of pecs, after that, they left him alone. Hopefully, all is fine when i get home from work today.

andyl9063
04-19-2011, 07:50 PM
no luck,

check today and the abn was laying on the floor, stiff as ice..... thought he was eating, but it turns out he's dead...... i saw his tail was a little torn. My discus is just prejudice.......

ericatdallas
04-19-2011, 08:04 PM
Wow, I've managed to keep juvies with small corys, small neons, and even otocinclus with no issues...

Tough group of Discus you have there.

Eddie
04-19-2011, 11:12 PM
no luck,

check today and the abn was laying on the floor, stiff as ice..... thought he was eating, but it turns out he's dead...... i saw his tail was a little torn. My discus is just prejudice.......

Sorry to hear, its been known to happen.

andyl9063
04-20-2011, 09:46 AM
Wow, I've managed to keep juvies with small corys, small neons, and even otocinclus with no issues...

Tough group of Discus you have there.

yea, they're a pretty tight group. They attack anything that comes in the tank. I once put a pair of german blue rams, but of course, it was a mating pair. The male was ferocious..........no one came near his lady.

Chinacoat
04-22-2011, 02:47 AM
Never had issues. just keep an eye and be attentive to everything

zinfin
04-22-2011, 06:46 AM
Is there a place for a BN to hide, like a slate cave or something?