PDA

View Full Version : New tank setup and need advise.

elaw
04-18-2011, 10:48 PM
Hey All,

So i'm working on a new tank here is what I have so far and want to know what i'm missing or if something could be improved on, i'm about to finish this tank this week as well.

55 gallon tall (36 1/2 x 15 1/2 x 25 3/8) glass tank
Fluval 305
Aquaticlife 2x39 watt (thinking about getting two and linking them together)
200 watt Eheim Heater

Pigeon Blood 4.5in
Cobalt Blue 4 in

Rumy Nose and Neons

Bushy nosed pleco

I really need help on what to do about CO2 and especially if i add the second lighting fixture going up to 4x39watts.

I lost 1 discus but will be adding 2-3 more once the tank is established, looking for a red melon, king cobra and/or snakeskin or white diamond.

Thanks!

Apistomaster
04-20-2011, 07:58 PM
Common Neon Tetras are not happy at Discus temps but Green Neons and Cardinals are better suited for warm water.
I recommend choosing only one color variety of Discus instead of collecting one of this and that type. You end up with a more compelling look when you keep a group of just one type of Discus.
If the tank is 25 inches tall then your idea of doubling the lights is a good plan if you keep any high light demanding plants.

elaw
04-21-2011, 01:53 PM
Thanks Apistomaster, i would have gone with standard neon's. I actually do like the look of Cardinal Tetras much more. On the discus side, i'm not sure now what i'll do since I already have 1 blue and 1 pigon, the pigon is a stunnner in the tank with clean lines down his body.

hawaiidiscus
04-22-2011, 04:35 AM
2 lights would be a good idea but I think you would benefit then by going with a CO2 tank