PDA

View Full Version : How to deal with brown algae?

DiscusBR
04-18-2011, 11:59 PM
Hi all,

I have a 80g tank that has been cycling for the last 6 weeks. Today I came back from a 9-day trip and found brown algae in a big piece of driftwood and in several of my annubias. I have one 54w T5 lamp, which was on for 6 horas per day when I was away. What can I do to get rid or diminish the algae problem? I assume that one solution is to diminish lighting. Should I live the lights on for less time? How many hours/day, five? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Mauro

plecocicho
04-19-2011, 08:20 AM
Brown algae are a sign of newly cycled aquarium. They dissapear for themselves rather quickly.

DiscusBR
04-19-2011, 08:56 AM
Brown algae are a sign of newly cycled aquarium. They dissapear for themselves rather quickly.

Thank you, nice to know it is normal. So I donīt need to reduce lighting form 6 to 5 hours, right?

plecocicho
04-19-2011, 04:40 PM
no.

Darrell Ward
04-19-2011, 05:11 PM

Not always. It can also be caused by silicates, and or phosphates in source water. In such cases, some people just live with it, others switch to RO.

CajunAg
04-19-2011, 05:22 PM
Meant to put this in my reply to your other thread, but anyway: that brown algae is normal and very common with newly-cycled tanks, especially those with newer driftwood. I had/have the same thing, and some water changes and BN plecos took care of it for me :)

flyman767
04-19-2011, 07:58 PM
High nitrates can lead to diatoms. Also, if you using any type of buffer (which most are loaded with phosphates) can cause a tank to explode with brown algae!

discuspaul
04-19-2011, 09:51 PM
Good replies - It's a relatively normal occuring situation in a newly-cycled tank. Just ride it out, it'll eventually disappear.

Darrell Ward
04-19-2011, 11:37 PM
While it's true diatoms are common in newly set up systems, without testing source water for diatom feeding elements, there is no way anyone will know for sure that they will eventually "go away on their own".