PDA

View Full Version : FX5 or a sump system for a 125 gallon tank?

pennex1
04-19-2011, 05:22 PM
Which system will be better? Doing some homework before i dig into the project.

CajunAg
04-19-2011, 05:29 PM
After debating the pros and cons of each when I was dreaming up my tank, I went with a sump. Why? Simple; easy to build myself and maintain; greater water capacity; can hide heaters, probes, etc; and the coolest part: the water level in the tank is always the same, only the water level in the sump drops! My setup is really quiet, all I hear is the hum of the pump. Google Herbie and BeanAnimal standpipe designs, I went with the Herbie and it is awesome! Jcardona1 just setup a tank with a BeanAnimal design, go check out his build thread in the planted/show tanks section.

andyl9063
04-19-2011, 05:37 PM
i'm going to be redoing my tank. I'll be setting up a sump as well.....

With discus, it gets reallllll dirty. It's better to get easy access to the filter media and floss to rinse it out. I have 2 canister filter for my 90g and its not even running discus. It does get dirty and its tough to clean.

i'm trying to follow this guy setup:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?84357-lets-see-your-diy-sump-setups&p=706375&viewfull=1#post706375

ericatdallas
04-19-2011, 06:45 PM
Yup, I have canister, pain to clean (IMHO). I actually prefer the HOB for mechanical filtration since i can just pull the media right out. I pre-filter my canister to make it last. I cleaned it out after a month and it still looks "clean" but I know it was doing it's job b/c when the impeller broke (part of the reason why I cleaned it - to take it apart) the tank got really cloudy.

I would love to do a sump, I'm just not sure where I will put it. Not a lot of room under the cabinet.

Melissa
04-19-2011, 07:40 PM
I have an FX5 and I'm setting up a 125 gallon display tank myself right now. I'm just filling the whole darn thing with bio-media (sintered glass) and keeping it simple. I don't foresee it being a pain in the butt to clean. With my WC regimen- it really wont have a chance to get too yucky I figure. Maybe I'm wrong! We'll see!

DerekFF
04-22-2011, 12:28 AM
Both work great, sumps are easier to clean period. Sumps take a little ingenuity to make yourself, jcardona did make a nice one id advise to read it also. Sumps can be made any way/flow direction/filter media you want and as big as you can fit it under the stand/tank. Canisters will come with a warranty....sumps dont lol. Personally i use a home made 20g sump for my 110 tall and it works freakin awesome. Takes about 5 minutes to clean the media and put it back without any priming pumps or stopping water flow. And really a home made sump+the pump will cost A LOT less than a FX5