PDA

View Full Version : Which TDS meter? HM Digital or Hanna?

jcardona1
04-21-2011, 12:10 PM
Hey folks,

Looking to purchase a low-cost TDS meter now that I'm running RO/DI water. I hear a lot about these two brands, so which would be a better purchase in terms of accuracy and durability? They're both priced similarly. Thanks for the help!

Hanna Primo (http://www.amazon.com/Hanna-Instruments-Primo-TDS-Tester/dp/B00286OKOQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1303402129&sr=8-1)

HM Digital TDS-3 (http://www.amazon.com/HM-Digital-Handheld-Tester-TDS-3/dp/B000VTQM70/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303402191&sr=8-1)

pcsb23
04-21-2011, 12:27 PM
I have owned meters by both companies. The HM ones have always failed sooner rather than later, ultimately not calibrating properly or at all. I have a Hanna meter which is around 7 years old (it is a combo meter HI-98129) and other than replacing ph probes I have had no real issues. Even when one of my friends managed to get water inside it, all I did was let it dry and re-calibrate it. As I need two meters I have bought another Hanna!!

jcardona1
04-21-2011, 12:30 PM
I have owned meters by both companies. The HM ones have always failed sooner rather than later, ultimately not calibrating properly or at all. I have a Hanna meter which is around 7 years old (it is a combo meter HI-98129) and other than replacing ph probes I have had no real issues. Even when one of my friends managed to get water inside it, all I did was let it dry and re-calibrate it. As I need two meters I have bought another Hanna!!

Thanks! Do you think the cheaper Hanna Primo would be just as good as your combo meter? I really don't need one that measures all that other stuff, just TDS...

pcsb23
04-21-2011, 12:55 PM
Thanks! Do you think the cheaper Hanna Primo would be just as good as your combo meter? I really don't need one that measures all that other stuff, just TDS...I do, yes :)

Northwoods Discus
04-21-2011, 12:57 PM
Funny a thread discussing this comes up just as I am opening the box on a Hanna combo meter. I just received it this morning and tried it out on my office tank and R/O water barrel. It seems simple to use. I ordered mine from Kens Fish a sponsor and the meters were held back for a while for quality control. Ken sent me some complimentary test solutions for the long wait. Plan on running around testing all my tanks tonight. I feel like Indiana Jones when faced with the decision to pick the Holy Grail cup. I guess I choose wisely.
I was a little surprised about the Ph reading on my clinic tank at 5.5 Ph. Tap was 7.6 and R/O was 6.04 I have been using R/O with Replenish added here at the clinic. I think I can start adding some tap with prime. Or maybe I should go wilds. My juvies are doing great here even with the low Ph. I probably need more Kh here. At home my Kh is sky high so I use a lot of R/O there but do mix in quite a bit of tap.

fishorama
04-22-2011, 07:42 PM
I have a Hanna TDS3, the only 1 I have used. I like it for ease of use, but use it mostly for the temp each water change & acclimation. I've had it ~3 years now, no problems & at less than $20 shipped, I like it more.

roundfishross
04-22-2011, 08:09 PM
hello J,

I have been using this one for over a year with no issues, On severak occasions when I tried to calibrate it. it was always dead on and needed no calibration
http://cgi.ebay.com/TDS4TM-3000-Salt-Salinity-Tester-Meter-Koi-Pond-/230525520611?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35ac644ae3