PDA

View Full Version : help with new fish

zchauvin
04-22-2011, 12:31 PM
I have a 29g planted tank. Parameters are ph6.8 nitrate,nitrite,ammonia 0. I'm doing 30% wc three times a week and temp is 84. Also have 5 cory cats and 8 neons. I just purchased a 2" red leopard skin and 2.5" imperial blue discus two days ago. Both fish look healthy but hide constantly and won't eat. Any thoughts?? I am feeding bh in morning, bw in afternoon and flakes at nite.

hedut
04-22-2011, 12:34 PM
it take time for them to adaption :)

zchauvin
04-22-2011, 12:41 PM
So they should be fine?? I'm just worried with them not eating

jimg
04-22-2011, 12:49 PM
it take time for them to adaption :)

+1 just double check all water parameters too

Lenin
04-22-2011, 12:52 PM
OK, the first thing is that they do not know you, what I have done with new fish is keep them in a bare bottom tank feed them and have them get use to you, I had 5 new guys that I placed in my planted tank since my other fish were in a hospital tank, the new ones would hide, once I place my other fish that knew me they follow them they saw them feeding from my hand now all are out swimming and begging for food.

zchauvin
04-22-2011, 12:53 PM
+1 just double check all water parameters too

Yeah I know what you mean I've been testing everyday so worried about the fish lol, my first time with discus. The red leopard was in bad shape at lfs but is doing 150% better and the imperial blue never even got in there water( just came in off of truck when I was driving up) needless to say he was much healthier to start with and is fine. The smaller red leopard has ick for sure and I'm treating now but seems to be getting better. His eyes are bright red and his fins open up now as opposed to closed and dark eyes at lfs.

zchauvin
04-22-2011, 12:55 PM
OK, the first thing is that they do not know you, what I have done with new fish is keep them in a bare bottom tank feed them and have them get use to you, I had 5 new guys that I placed in my planted tank since my other fish were in a hospital tank, the new ones would hide, once I place my other fish that knew me they follow them they saw them feeding from my hand now all are out swimming and begging for food.

These are my first two and the 29g biocube I plan on using as qt/ growout is cycling :/ I'm setting up a 75 in few weeks to come and will then get more and move these two juvies to it.

jimg
04-22-2011, 12:56 PM
good luck with them hope they adjust quick.

zchauvin
04-22-2011, 01:02 PM
Thanks so do I

discuspaul
04-22-2011, 01:19 PM
Agree with the comments above. I have found that it sometimes takes up to 2 weeks for newly-introduced discus to settle in & begin eating. Be patient, do your wc's & keep an eye on them - they usually come around in time.

zchauvin
04-22-2011, 01:24 PM
Agree with the comments above. I have found that it sometimes takes up to 2 weeks for newly-introduced discus to settle in & begin eating. Be patient, do your wc's & keep an eye on them - they usually come around in time.

good deal so no harm will be done if they dont eat for another week?!?!? and i just put the pics up of them, not the best but...

discuspaul
04-22-2011, 01:36 PM
good deal so no harm will be done if they dont eat for another week?!?!? and i just put the pics up of them, not the best but...

No harm will will be done, so long as they are otherwise healthy. Discus can and do occasionally go on hunger strikes, for weeks at a time, without a problem if they're not sick. Any number of factors can cause them to stop eating until they reach a 'comfort' zone.

zchauvin
04-22-2011, 01:39 PM
alrighty good