PDA

View Full Version : Finally! My Tank is finished and new Discus have arrived

aquatic3
04-23-2011, 01:19 PM
So after a year of planning, setting up aquarium, aqua scaping, planting, and acclimating. I finally got my new discus. I have to say, the East Coast has another great breeder and source for Grade A+ Discus of all types. Discus Madness and Mathias have opened their new facilities and show room in Union New Jersey. He is only selling direct to customers, no wholesale or to LPS , and is appointment only. I was customer #1 yesterday. The operation opened today. Nice facilities, first class all the way. These guys also have a breeding farm in upstate New York and currently have over 4,000 fish in Union Show Room.
I designed my planted aquarium to be ascetically pleasing, adopting Amano style concepts along the way. However, everything was taken into consideration around the Discus. I wanted a fully automated tank, with frequent water changes, and to be easy to maintain. Many of you will say that keeping Discus in a planted tank has been proven. This may be true. But the right choice of systems, plants, and design will go a long way in providing a system that can be enjoyed as a hobby, not a chore.
I got my hands on six (6) great adult discus: x2 Blue Pearl Diamonds, x2 Super Eruption Snakeskin, and x2 Penang Super Eruptions. Let me know what you think of the Discus and Tank (Aquatic3 Project).
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-fBaAu-0qlFo/TbMDBWil_0I/AAAAAAAAARk/yFmdAqJxvsY/s640/P1020233.JPG
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-C8v1LfyVNhE/TbMEJtedozI/AAAAAAAAARw/9Bb98jInDxk/s640/P1020245.JPG
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-0aRenM6sQ6M/TbMEWVO7D6I/AAAAAAAAAR0/j9ps3BESeig/s1600/P1020246.JPG

kaceyo
04-23-2011, 01:44 PM
Nice tank. What kind of plants are those (the tallest) in the back sides with the thick dark branches? Are they anubias on driftwood or actual plants?
Would also like to see more pics of the spotteds.

aquatic3
04-23-2011, 01:56 PM
The branches are Manzanita Wood. I attached Java Fern and Xmas Moss for tree effect. I have several verity of Anubias and Swords and Tiget Lotus in center. The Anubias to very well with low light at 34" depth. THe fish are 5"-6", so they look small in my 140 Gallon tank. More photos comming soon.

kaceyo
04-23-2011, 01:59 PM
The branches are Manzanita Wood. I attached Java Fern and Xmas Moss for tree effect. I have several verity of Anubias and Swords and Tiget Lotus in center. The Anubias to very well with low light at 34" depth. THe fish are 5"-6", so they look small in my 140 Gallon tank. More photos comming soon.

I thought it was probably plants tied to branches. It looks great.

roclement
04-23-2011, 02:25 PM
...upstate New York discus farm... :) Plants look great!

Rodrigo

jimg
04-23-2011, 02:37 PM
He told me his "hatchery" is in California ......Agree plants are nice!

roclement
04-23-2011, 02:45 PM
...I thik some of those penangs came from me! :)

Rodrigo

kaceyo
04-23-2011, 04:32 PM
I think it is someone elses hatchery in Calif.

Eddie Wells
04-23-2011, 04:33 PM
Really good looking tank !!!

Eddie Wells

aquatic3
04-23-2011, 06:03 PM
I've purchased Discus from Mathias before...from his home basement opperation. Over the past year he has taken on a partner...an experianced Discus breeder with private breeding loction Up State New York. Does not take visitors. Together they taken ownership of a nice industrial building tin Union, NJ hat can exapand quickly if needed. Now they have 4,000 fish. I've seen the opperation. They have all ages of Discus. Some they have grown out, but for their grand opening they have several stocks from various breeders in Malaysia. All high grade stock. His partner takes stock from all over, including over $40k per year from Malaysia. These fish all came from Malaysia last month. I was part of their larger stock order they placed and shippment arived last month. 6 Weeks in QT and I've just taken them home. THere new site will be going up soon. You guys can read about it. For those of you who like Wilds. They have some partners in Brazil and will be shippping those in next month. Hands down they will be largest opperation on East Coast.

roclement
04-23-2011, 06:11 PM
From your mouth to God's ears!

Rodrigo

jball1125
04-23-2011, 07:35 PM
I really like the aquascape. Very nice!

aquatic3
04-26-2011, 06:48 PM
More pics of my PE and Spoted Face Super Eurption

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-bn8Br8C709g/TbdKPRuCHnI/AAAAAAAAAR8/Ar7L17_Pk6Q/s1600/P1020253.JPG

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-_0OD-zNq_NY/TbMEkqq7ArI/AAAAAAAAAR4/HVSqw0dmqmU/s640/P1020248.JPG

discuspaul
04-26-2011, 08:21 PM
You've done a real nice job - and the discus look great!

moon_knight1971
04-26-2011, 09:00 PM
Agree! You done good and the fish look nice!

kaceyo
04-26-2011, 09:03 PM
Lookin good!!!

cjr8420
04-28-2011, 09:56 PM
Lookin good!!!

+1

orlando
04-28-2011, 10:34 PM
aquarium and fish look great! one question though. what is your aquarium cleaning regimen like. the sand on the front and the back portions on both corners. the reason i ask is i've also got a planted discus tank, but i am getting discouraged and am thinking of converting to bb really soon. i can't seem to get on top of cleaning the substrate well enough. if mine is bare bottom, then the water will probably keep cleaner.

love your website with all its information... cheers

aquatic3
04-29-2011, 09:30 AM
aquarium and fish look great! one question though. what is your aquarium cleaning regimen like. the sand on the front and the back portions on both corners. the reason i ask is i've also got a planted discus tank, but i am getting discouraged and am thinking of converting to bb really soon. i can't seem to get on top of cleaning the substrate well enough. if mine is bare bottom, then the water will probably keep cleaner.

Don’t be discouraged! Planted Discus aquariums are fantastic and the most rewarding and when set up properly can be the perfect man made ecosystem for Discus. Many Discus hobbyist default to a BB because they get too frustrated that proper conditions for the Discus can’t be met. Or that the hobby of maintaining a planted + Discus set up becomes too much of a chore as opposed to joy!

When I started the Aquatic3 Project over a year ago and began publishing my findings for setting up and establishing a stabilized planted Discus aquarium, many hobbyist were confused. Many felt that it has been proven and widely excepted that Discus can be kept in a plated set up.

As my friends at Aquarium Design Group (ADG) and I will tell you, most of the pretty set ups you see posted on the web or in magazines are only a snap shot in time (1 day or 2). Most planted aquariums are not properly set up and deteriorate after the photo is taken. There is a science to setting up a tank so that both a visual appearance and healthy environment for Discus is achieved and easily maintained.

I will continue to post here or on my blog “Aquatic3 Project” best practices and tips for establishing the ultimate planted Discus set up.

aquatic3
04-29-2011, 10:03 AM

To answer your question about cleaning regiment. It’s easy! Every Saturday or Sunday morning I do the following in less than 1 hour.
• Wipe sides of tank of any excess algae Plecos or Snails have not removed. Since my tank is 6ft tall and aquarium 34” deep this is the hardest part. I use a small step ladder, open lid (automatic Aqulift hood lift), and wipe sides by hand with a synthetic shammy cloth. What I can’t get by hand I reach with a Kent extended algae scrapper that I attach shammy with rubber band.
• While plants (java ferns etc) are being shaken and water starts getting sediment I make sure my automatic water changer is flushing and replenishing fresh filtered water at same time (see water regiment).
• I then use a Magnum 350 Pro external pump as my gravel vacuum and water polisher (Photo will be uploaded). Attached to the pump is a standard Python gravel attachment. I start by carefully vacuuming the surface of the white gravel of all lose debris. One or two passes.
• Then I drive the siphon into the gravel doing a deep gravel clean. I will also use Kent extension to actually turn over the gravel completely.
• NOTE: I primarily only vacuum and agitate the front white gravel. Very little vacuuming among plants and dark gravel. The gravel and aquascaping is by design and a key part of the balanced ecosystem (another discussion I will post).
• While cleaning is going on my automatic water changer is removing debris and replenishing about 40% new water.

There are several factors that I believe contribute to my low maintenance regiment and properly established planted Discus tank:
- Proper filtration system (Lifegard + Eheim) and monthly filter cleaning
- UV Sterilizer (ONLY for 7 hours, no more)
- Proper lighting (not too much/not too little)
- Proper water current and circulation (often overlooked)
- Automatic water changes (10%) every day. Straight tap water passed through activated catalytic carbon + peat chambers
- CO2 injection for happy plants and plant O2 emission
- Proper plant selection to attribute to healthy environment
- Pond and Nitrite snails to help clean tank and plant leaves
- Two (x2) plecos
- Elleven (11) Cory's (Sterbiz + Panda)

DiscusLoverJeff
04-29-2011, 10:05 AM
Awesome tank, awesome discus!

The Penang Eruptions are beautiful. Good luck!