PDA

View Full Version : Brute cans transfer the taste of plastic

atitagain
04-23-2011, 04:37 PM
Like I said in another post I use new Brutes to age my tap and for my RO, we also use the RO for drinking. Lately we've picked up a plastic taste.

I heat and aerate both to 84 degrees. After I do a water change I normally dry the tap barrel but not the RO. Anyone else ever experience this problem?

And am I leaching something possibly bad into my tank?

I just bought two 55 gallon drums new, food grade an FDA approved but they won't arrive until next week.

I'm doing about a 50% WC daily.

DiscusOnly
04-23-2011, 04:55 PM
Like I said in another post I use new Brutes to age my tap and for my RO, we also use the RO for drinking. Lately we've picked up a plastic taste.

I heat and aerate both to 84 degrees. After I do a water change I normally dry the tap barrel but not the RO. Anyone else ever experience this problem?

And am I leaching something possibly bad into my tank?

I just bought two 55 gallon drums new, food grade an FDA approved but they won't arrive until next week.

I'm doing about a 50% WC daily.

I use the brute container for my RO but I don't heat that container. I mix RO with warmer tap instead. For my other RO contain (a 55gallon tank, I do keep the temp at 75).

For you drinking water, why don't you use a separate RO storage tank? Just split your RO output and have one run to the RO storage tank.

William Palumbo
04-23-2011, 04:57 PM
I bought two big barrels that held Olives...and a year later, it still smells and tastes a bit like olives...but I have no problems breeding with the water...Bill

atitagain
04-23-2011, 07:47 PM
I bought two big barrels that held Olives...and a year later, it still smells and tastes a bit like olives...but I have no problems breeding with the water...Bill

You know if you see one of your fish swimming with a martini glass it's time to wash the barrels Bill.

Are you heating the barrels? I drop my heaters right on the bottom and wonder if that's to much heat.

I use the brute container for my RO but I don't heat that container. I mix RO with warmer tap instead. For my other RO contain (a 55gallon tank, I do keep the temp at 75).

For you drinking water, why don't you use a separate RO storage tank? Just split your RO output and have one run to the RO storage tank.

We fill up a couple one gallon containers and toss them in the fridge. If their going to swim in it I can drink it and I'll know if the water gets funky.

I age 15 gallons, hit it with prime, add the RO at the same temp and move it to the tanks with a pump.

DiscusOnly
04-23-2011, 08:31 PM
I got one of these similiar kit for attaching to the RO filter.

http://www.marinedepot.com/SpectraPure_Drinking_Water_Kit_For_RO_DI_System_Dr inking_Water_Filter_System_Kits-SpectraPure-YSP5531-FIRODR-vi.html

William Palumbo
04-23-2011, 08:31 PM
I only heat in the winter with a POS Stealth...Bill

Hsunami
04-23-2011, 08:46 PM
i cut a hole on top of my Aging Barrel with the Lid. So i just hang my Heater right in the middle of the lid. So its suspended in the middle of the water no where near the plastic.

mmorris
04-24-2011, 09:05 AM

LOL Maybe you're on to something, Bill!

William Palumbo
04-24-2011, 09:50 AM
LOL Martha...maybe!...as far as the Martinis go, they might as well drink better than me...they already eat better than me!...Bill

Jhhnn
04-26-2011, 12:40 AM
Brute trashcans have been widely used for aging & aerating heated aquarium water for a very long time. If there were serious issues, we'd know by now. The plastic taste is probably apparent because there's nothing else in RO water to give it any flavor at all. To me, water with some hardness tastes better, like water should, whereas RO water tastes like... nothing.

Using a box filter with activated carbon for aeration would probably eliminate the plastic taste...

I use 55gal barrels that formerly contained propylene glycol, a non toxic chemical used as antifreeze in camper & cabin water lines, also as an ingredient in medical adhesives and a texture additive in some food products. It tastes sweet... and has no detectable odor...