PDA

View Full Version : My poor english comprehension or poor customer service?

ericatdallas
04-24-2011, 02:03 AM
So I e-mail this breeder that is advertising Alenquer Red Discus and he says he's out but he has "I am out of them. I have some tank raised heckle that are nice. They are $45. each. Thanks, al"

I e-mail him and ask, "Wild caught tank raise Heckels or F1 Heckels? Do you have pictures and what size are they?"

My question is, am I asking a dumb question. Just because you have wild caught heckels doesn't mean you can't raise them to adulthood in a tank. Does tank raised in the fish/discus world automatically equate to tank hatched? Leaving Discus out of it, there's no reason why I can't catch a bunch of fish in the creek after they hatch and raise them in my tank.

Okay, even if it's a dumb question by Discus-world standards...
"Like I said earlier they are tank raised, F2. al"

1) good customer service wouldn't so quickly point the customer's deficiency. Just answer the question and move-on.
2) Didn't I ask for pictures and size?

I suppose I'll get, "That's what you get from dealing with a non-sponsor" and I suppose you would be right.

I wanted to respond: "Thanks for being so quick to answer my question without understanding it. A fish can be wild caught as a young as freshly hatched fry and still be tank raised. I'm so glad you have so much business that you can be so short with a customer and not bother to answer the rest of his questions. Good luck with that, I'm sure business will continue to be so healthy. Oh, and dude, learn to spell Heckel if you're going to be selling them."

But then I decided against it as it's not really worth it. I still needed to vent though :)

Why is it so hard to spend up to $500 to buy fish? I've been looking for weeks. I'm so discouraged now with wilds I decided I'm just going to wait to see what Mike Beal gets next month (he sold out of the Yellow Sunrise I wanted).

Also, as people here pointed out, Heckels F1s and F2s are extremely rare. As another thread pointed out, "you would be a rockstar" to breed them. So if this guy has them and I'm going to spend $45/fish, I should at least be able to see pictures before I buy them right?

Or at least get a, "I don't have time to take pics. I'm too busy selling them to people who I can ripoff easily without providing proof."

Eddie
04-24-2011, 02:20 AM
Definitely get pictures. If he/she cant provide them, they ain't legit. Don't waste your money/time.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

DerekFF
04-24-2011, 02:57 AM
Anyone whos serious about selling anything anywhere in the world will want to show you HOW MUCH BETTER THEIR PRODUCT IS or as least how good it is. Like eddie said, and fish aside even, if theres no pics or they dont want to send pics? Rip off IMO. You want some wilds talk with Hans, not sure if hes got wilds again or Snookn21 from aquabid he always brings in some nice looking wilds.

DiscusOnly
04-24-2011, 03:28 AM
Wild Alenquer Inanu Discus here.
http://discusfishstore.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=41&products_id=123

Second Hand Pat
04-24-2011, 07:57 AM
I spoke to John (snookn21) last week and he has alenquers also.

Ed13
04-24-2011, 09:11 AM
"Tank raised does not equal tank bred!!! Now, how about some pics of those F-2 heckels?!?"

I'd word it a bit more polite, but it's def what would be on my mind after reading his replys. It would be rare to have pure-blood F2 Heckels and even rarer to be selling them at $45, not to mention his attitude towards a potential new customer. Everything seems fishy about this one!

ericatdallas
04-24-2011, 10:49 AM
Yeah, that's what I thought... I just had to vent. It goes back to the thread, can't remember the title, "Does customer service matter for breeders (something like that)." I would say without a doubt (now), if it's via mail order, "ABSOLUTELY". I mean, if I could drop by this guy's place, it would be a non-issue.

I'm waiting for SNOOKN to update his wilds section. There's several types he has that he hasn't had the time to update yet (according to his last e-mail). I've checked his listing here, MFK, and Aquabid.

I'm looking into getting some from Hans too but I want to see what my options are. I'm not totally stuck on the Alenquer reds, those were just what this guy had advertised. He didn't even have his Heckels listed on his website at the time when I started this thread at least.

brewmaster15
04-24-2011, 10:52 AM
Just so theres no question here :) the "al" quoted is not me. :) If I had F1 or F2 heckels you all would here about it and see them posted all over the forum until you were thoroughly sick of me and my heckels.. :) :)

-al

ericatdallas
04-24-2011, 10:54 AM
"Tank raised does not equal tank bred!!! Now, how about some pics of those F-2 heckels?!?"

I'd word it a bit more polite, but it's def what would be on my mind after reading his replys. It would be rare to have pure-blood F2 Heckels and even rarer to be selling them at $45, not to mention his attitude towards a potential new customer. Everything seems fishy about this one!

Actually I was just going to drop it but I want to see what he says... so I responded with,

"Tank raised does not equal tank bred. Hence my question for clarification. I’ve also heard F1 Heckels are extremely rare and that F-2 heckels are even rarer or non-existent.

So I’m definitely interested! As I’ve already asked, please send some pics, sizes, and price

Do'h, I asked for price again! That means I'm going to get a stern, "I've already told you!"

LOL!

ericatdallas
04-24-2011, 10:56 AM
Just so theres no question here :) the "al" quoted is not me. :) If I had F1 or F2 heckels you all would here about it and see them posted all over the forum until you were thoroughly sick of me and my heckels.. :) :)

-al

Yes, I can verify it's not the same Al. I just copied and pasted the e-mail message but I forgot to delete that out of the original. I figured it wasn't a big deal since there were many "Al's" and knew people wouldn't think it was -THE- Al but probably should have added the disclaimer anyway since you do have wilds :)

Discus Origins
04-24-2011, 12:22 PM
Apparently 'al' doesn't have the courtesy or proof to answer your questions. Again be very hesitant on F1 heckels which are just about none existent so how do you get F2s?

John snookn or Hans would be best sources for wilds. I currently have a group of 4 wk old F1 Alequer/Cuipeau but they are no where close to selling size and I would assume you are looking for larger size fish to start. Don't get frustrated, do your research and you'll be more comfortable in your decision.

Second Hand Pat
04-24-2011, 12:35 PM
Eric, call John Sr. His number in the last sale thread. John Jr. is not around as much to do the online part and John Sr. is learning that part.

Ed13
04-24-2011, 02:21 PM
Actually I was just going to drop it but I want to see what he says... so I responded with,

"Tank raised does not equal tank bred. Hence my question for clarification. I’ve also heard F1 Heckels are extremely rare and that F-2 heckels are even rarer or non-existent.

So I’m definitely interested! As I’ve already asked, please send some pics, sizes, and price

Do'h, I asked for price again! That means I'm going to get a stern, "I've already told you!"

LOL!
Don't blame you, I'd like to know his answer too.

-al
LOL if you did, I'd finally make the trip to your place and swipe some out of your fishroom!

Eric, call John Sr. His number in the last sale thread. John Jr. is not around as much to do the online part and John Sr. is learning that part.

I've asked once or twice about pics, vids, or more info on how the run their wild vs domestic setup since there seems to be very little info on the subject. Wouldn't ask if they were only dealing with wild fish. I've been told a video is coming soon, but it's yet to happen. Not mad though, since I understand they are not so great with the online stuff and at least John has been courteous when they do respond. Did not kept bothering them since I'm not so much in the market.

Discus Origins
04-24-2011, 02:40 PM
I've personally been to John's warehouse, it is a big operation dealing with a lot of imported wild fish, especially corys and plecos. He does not deal in any domestic discus, they are all shipped in from SA unless things changed in the past couple months. So there wouldn't be any info from him on how differently he keeps wilds vs domestics.

He has a nice setup and always gets the fish acclimated nicely before shipping.

Ed13
04-24-2011, 04:31 PM
I've personally been to John's warehouse, it is a big operation dealing with a lot of imported wild fish, especially corys and plecos. He does not deal in any domestic discus, they are all shipped in from SA unless things changed in the past couple months. So there wouldn't be any info from him on how differently he keeps wilds vs domestics.

He has a nice setup and always gets the fish acclimated nicely before shipping.
Sorry about that, I meant domestic(farm bred fish) vs wild fish, wasn't necessarily talking about discus. In the past, I've seen his aquabid listings for guppies, albino plecos, Oscars etc. Def not wild fish.

Anyways, I just wanted to mention he was courteous about it, unlike the seller mentioned in the OP, and that I understood they were busy. For what is worth, he did mention they are kept separate, which is important to me. Maybe, I just wanted to see pics? lol

ericatdallas
04-24-2011, 04:40 PM
Did you guys know they have a website? Not sure how up-to-date it is but it looks like they're working on having their stock online for purchase. Not sure how long they've been working to make it happen...

I can't wait to visit their warehouse when I move back to Florida. That's also when my wife will let me have a fish room (our house is too small now). I won't be too far from them and at least then I could take advantage of their "Florida shipping rate".

Second Hand Pat
04-24-2011, 07:27 PM
Did you guys know they have a website? Not sure how up-to-date it is but it looks like they're working on having their stock online for purchase. Not sure how long they've been working to make it happen...

I can't wait to visit their warehouse when I move back to Florida. That's also when my wife will let me have a fish room (our house is too small now). I won't be too far from them and at least then I could take advantage of their "Florida shipping rate".

Can't beat 25 dollars and allows you to buy one more discus.

TURQ64
04-24-2011, 08:06 PM
well, since we're tossing talk of wilds around again, I have to toss a hat in the ring for Hans---My wilds from him are excellent, and have been from day one...And his website is automated if that trips one's trigger....

ericatdallas
04-24-2011, 10:56 PM
Can't beat 25 dollars and allows you to buy one more discus.

Yup! I also wouldn't give it a second thought about ordering because when the shipping is $60-90 as some places charge, you have to give it a lot of thought about how many you are ordering and if you're done ordering.

For $25 shipping, that's less than the cost of a roundtrip drive to a city one hour away and I don't have to drive. So it definitely becomes worth it. Drive there once just to have a look (for curiosity and reassurance) and just rely on them for my fish needs like I rely on Amazon for my books and diaper needs :)

DerekFF
04-25-2011, 12:00 PM

-al

oh theres no question al.....were sick of your basement of heaveness and all wish we could have one like that of our own lol ;-)

ericatdallas
04-27-2011, 07:06 PM
Well still no pics... he's insistent he has them though. Another SD member vouched for him and said he's great. So ...

I guess business is good, so he doesn't need new customers :/

Born and raised in a tank.
F1 is very rare because they are not easy to breed.and most people skilled enough to do it, do not want to go thru the hassle. However, with F2 it gets much easier. I have several upcoming visitors who have reserved the rest that I am selling from this batch. I did not sell any F1's, I gave them as gifts to close friends and some customers who have been with me many years. In the future I can notify you when I have some available if you wish.

William Palumbo
04-27-2011, 07:35 PM
Eric, who is the seller?...PM me if you don't want to say publicly...Bill

ericatdallas
04-27-2011, 08:01 PM
No, his next batch of F2 Heckels are mine! :P

Discus-Hans
04-27-2011, 08:15 PM
Why is it so hard to spend up to $500 to buy fish? I've been looking for weeks. I'm so discouraged now with wilds

On special now, buy 3 get 4, it's not hard to spend $500.00 if you ask the right person.

You can go to McDonalds and ask for Whopper but that doesn't work lol

Hans

Jennie
04-27-2011, 08:22 PM
cute Hans! I just recieved wilds from Hans and am so happy with them eric..HTH

DiscusOnly
05-01-2011, 01:15 PM
Ah.. I just figured it out.. It's Rocky Mountain you are referring to.