PDA

View Full Version : Aqueon Pro 250W Heaters - I felt the juice

atitagain
04-25-2011, 10:06 AM
So I start with saying I own several of these heaters, my HT, QT and aging barrels all are Aqueon’s.

Saturday I was doing a water change, I pump straight out of my barrel. As I’m adding water the fish are getting dark and begin darting. I think it’s a little weird because I have not changed anything in the way I do my water changes, same exact mix nothing changed.

Shut off the water going into the tank, grab my test kits and run down stairs and stick my hand in the barrel and I get shocked. Not just a little tap, I got the juice. The wife is with me and I stick my hand in the barrel again to check to see if it was static, besides I like the juice. Well I got what deserved. And she smacked me in the back of the head for going back a second time.

The heater is only about 3 weeks old but none the less failed. I unplugged it and finished the water change.

Petsmart exchanged it without a receipt, no questions asked! Moral of the story, don’t stick your hand in the water a second time when you get juiced the first time.
And more importantly, your fish will always tell you when something is wrong.

Other heated are operating OK, I just thought I would throw this out there..... just in case.

wendy9722
04-25-2011, 10:34 AM
Wow!, I'm glad to know thats how a heater will fail besides no power. I never experienced it before so thanks. I hope the fish are ok today.
Take care

William Palumbo
04-25-2011, 10:45 AM
Know the feeling!...I got to "ride the lightning" as well, thanks to not one, but two Stealth heaters. Not fun I agree...Bill

roundfishross
04-25-2011, 10:48 AM
rotflmao.....hehehetaheheh:p I think the aqueons are the old stealths just renamed. is your heater one of those unbreakable non glass types? if so there is a massive recall on them, I saw a story about them on the local evening news last night!!!:mad:

atitagain
04-25-2011, 10:59 AM
They are the unbreakable non-glass but I haven't heard of found anything about a recall on the Aqueon. I thought it was just the stealth that was on recall.

And Wendy the fish are doing well, thanks for asking. I noticed right away and everyone but my BD is back to normal. They let me know real quick!

roundfishross
04-25-2011, 11:04 AM
I dont know for sure if they are the same but they do look identicle other than the writing on them (name). thats enough to make me scared to use them

jpdevol
04-25-2011, 02:04 PM
Yep - I just got Zzaped by a 150W Aqueon Pro last week! It had been in service about 1mo.

The basic design is similar, but there are enough external differences that they are not rebranded Stealths.

I am not buying ANY PLASTIC heaters ever again.

Eddie
04-26-2011, 05:23 AM
Ride the lightning, that's a good one! Lol

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Keith Perkins
04-26-2011, 08:12 AM
Yea, Hansie wrote recently about a similar experience with a heater except his knocked him out cold. I've been switching over to the Aqueons primarily because they're guaranteed forever. Think I've got 6 or 7 now. Never experienced a zap, but I'll make sure NOT to put my hand in a second time time if I get zapped once...especially if someone's wife is standing behind me. :)

roundfishross
04-26-2011, 07:03 PM
Ride the lightning, that's a good one! Lol

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

yeah I though that was good stuff also

KEWX
04-26-2011, 09:00 PM
Due you use GFI outlets?

atitagain
04-26-2011, 09:13 PM
Keith I have them in my two QT tanks and one in my RO drum and they're all fine. The only thing else is I have never been able to get them to hit 88 degrees and that why I went to the jbj

AquatiCreations
04-26-2011, 09:23 PM
Don't know about all this plastic heater stuff, but I love the Aqueon 300w glass. Maybe upgrade time atitagain? :D

russren
04-26-2011, 09:23 PM
"besides I like the juice" not a funny situation, but I had to smile at that. I own a Aqueon Pro 250 too, and will be careful.

Keith Perkins
04-26-2011, 10:50 PM
Keith I have them in my two QT tanks and one in my RO drum and they're all fine. The only thing else is I have never been able to get them to hit 88 degrees and that why I went to the jbj

88 is 5.5 degrees higher than I've ever tried to get mine to, so at least so far that's hasn't been an issue for me.