PDA

View Full Version : Water Aging barrel setup

broncofan27
04-25-2011, 10:08 AM
Ok so I have decided to begin getting the parts for aging some water for my 75g discus tank. I have a brute can that I will be using. This is my question. What do you guys recommend for a water pump to move the water from the barrel. I will be moving the water about 25 feet on the same floor. I was planning on purchasing this tubing (http://www.flexiblepvc.net/Clear_Vinyl_Tubing_p/clearvinyltubing.htm) at .5" ID and getting 50 feet. Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

gravjack
04-25-2011, 12:18 PM
I have two barrels essentially the same. Tanks on same floor. In the first, I put a made in China high output pond pump (Ebay) and use a drinking water safe hose with quick connects to pump out. Works great. Recently put a second barrel nearer some tanks and in that one use a dropped in power head to pump out via tubing. Works well too. Distance makes a difference. hth

gravjack
04-25-2011, 12:22 PM
Just a p.s. My display tank that I fill with with the hose is about the same distance you want to move water. In another room at same level. Pond pump is rated for 12 or 14 foot head.

Hsunami
04-25-2011, 01:57 PM
i got this from kensfish.com

Quiet One 2200 Water Pump:
581 GPH, 9.8 Feet Max Of Head,41 Watts 0.60 Amps,1" MPT In x 1" MPT Out

THen bought the house from Big Lots for 6 bucks. Make sure its the water one.

WOrks great on my 32 gallon Brute, Drilled a hole on the top to put the heater through. SO it doesn't touch the plastic

Heres my setup

http://i452.photobucket.com/albums/qq248/C0rnsnakes/DSC_0004.jpg

broncofan27
04-25-2011, 03:56 PM
i got this from kensfish.com

Quiet One 2200 Water Pump:
581 GPH, 9.8 Feet Max Of Head,41 Watts 0.60 Amps,1" MPT In x 1" MPT Out

THen bought the house from Big Lots for 6 bucks. Make sure its the water one.

WOrks great on my 32 gallon Brute, Drilled a hole on the top to put the heater through. SO it doesn't touch the plastic

Heres my setup

http://i452.photobucket.com/albums/qq248/C0rnsnakes/DSC_0004.jpg

Thats exactly how I want to do my setup. Thanks! How far are you moving the water?

wendy9722
04-25-2011, 04:39 PM
Looks similar to what I had just no hole to keep water evaporation in the trash can. I suctioned cupped the heater and bubble wand side by side on the bottom of the can so the air flow would keep moving I wouldnt have to remove heater each time to use the water and attached a probe theremometer to the side to know what the temp is at all times if there should be a heater issue.

atitagain
04-25-2011, 04:44 PM
Looks similar to what I had just no hole to keep water evaporation in the trash can. I suctioned cupped the heater and bubble wand side by side on the bottom of the can so the air flow would keep moving I wouldnt have to remove heater each time to use the water and attached a probe theremometer to the side to know what the temp is at all times if there should be a heater issue.

I do the same thing but I just added the suction cups yesterday to get the heater off the bottom of the barrel and use a Sunterra Direct Drive Pond Pump — 2000 GPH, 22ft. Max Lift, 1in. Outlets to move the water from my basement to the second floor. They are about $100 online but you may not need as much power.

Search "sunterra pond pump #202000 2000 GPH"