PDA

View Full Version : spawning dance or abuse?

maxpain
04-26-2011, 12:09 PM
i have an unconfirmed pair that laid eggs but eggs did not last long enough to produce wigglers. i'm not sure if i have a male and female, i guess it could be two females. i put them together 3 weeks ago and they played very nice. 1 1/2 weeks ago was when i witness the first spawn.

last night they were doing a nice little dance, and then things got not so nice. they started kissing violently and started nipping fins. i have another pair that had successful spawns and behavior was not like this.

so, is this pair spawning and likes it a little rough or are they actually fighting?

all opinions welcome. thanks

John_Nicholson
04-26-2011, 02:02 PM
First animals really can't abuse one another. What you are seeing is nature in action. Discus will establish a pecking order like all other animals. They may turn out to be a pair. What you are seeing is a mix of courtship and pecking order establishment. Both are 100% normal.

-john

DerekFF
04-26-2011, 02:18 PM
First animals really can't abuse one another. What you are seeing is nature in action. Discus will establish a pecking order like all other animals. They may turn out to be a pair. What you are seeing is a mix of courtship and pecking order establishment. Both are 100% normal.

-john

Lol John i cant wait till someone tried to use this line on the show COPS lol

maxpain
04-26-2011, 04:12 PM
the larger of the two is a female. the smaller one is the aggressor which i'm hoping is a male. my question: is this typical male behavior in the presence of a female whether it's dominant or not? i know it is possible that the smaller one is a dominant female.

i will keep them together and hopefully they work it out. i just hope the confirmed female does not get beat up to badly.

John_Nicholson
04-26-2011, 04:46 PM
What you are seeing is a mix of courtship and pecking order establishment. Both are 100% normal.

-john

maxpain
04-26-2011, 04:57 PM
ok cool. there is hope. thanks

maxpain
04-28-2011, 11:10 AM
they have worked things out like you said they would. they are both pecking at the cone last night and hopefully we'll see some eggs soon. thanks again.