PDA

View Full Version : Critique or validate my efforts? My juvies...

ericatdallas
04-26-2011, 04:07 PM
Well, some of you may have seen that I'm looking to buy more fish... I figured, wait, what if I'm doing a terrible job? Well I like them and that should be all that matters right? Well, if I'm going to buy more juvies, I don't want to screw up a whole new group/generation of discus... So if they're not developing well, I probably should re-evaluate how I'm doing things...

Please tell me how they look. The tangerines hatched sometime in December, but they've outgrown the Turquoise. The Turks were bought at the same time but were hatched in late November... so there's a two week difference in age (give or take).

Not the best of shots,... but I'll work on that. First time taking pics...

Would appreciate any negative or positive feedback..

http://www.lamspot.com/discus/tang1.jpg

http://www.lamspot.com/discus/tang2.jpg

http://www.lamspot.com/discus/turq1.jpg

http://www.lamspot.com/discus/turq2.jpg

http://www.lamspot.com/discus/group1.JPG

William Palumbo
04-26-2011, 04:17 PM
Looks like you did a good job to me. All look pretty uniform and healthy. Get another batch...don't worry about it...Bill

PAR23
04-26-2011, 04:22 PM
Agree with Bill. Go for the other batch..

ericatdallas
04-26-2011, 04:30 PM
I still don't know what weak chin is... and I've been worrying about mine having it. Also, some have a bump on their heads... where the fin starts like a hunchback. I've seen the same in some vendor pics but not all.

John_Nicholson
04-26-2011, 04:45 PM
You look to have done a good job. Some of the fish have some minor issues but they were not caused by you. Keep up the good work.

-john

moon_knight1971
04-26-2011, 04:54 PM
I'm doing almost the same thing. I'm buying juvies of strains that interest me and trying to grow them out. Yours looks healthy so go for that 2nd or 3rd batch!

ericatdallas
04-26-2011, 05:13 PM
You look to have done a good job. Some of the fish have some minor issues but they were not caused by you. Keep up the good work.

-john

What's wrong with them? That way I know what to look out for when I buy more... or are they things I won't know until they grow out? Thanks, Eric

John_Nicholson
04-26-2011, 05:33 PM
What's wrong with them? That way I know what to look out for when I buy more... or are they things I won't know until they grow out? Thanks, Eric

At this stage it is hard to nail it all down but the things I see are the hump on the one right before the dorsal. Also noticed a crease across the nose on at least one. Nothing major just minor stuff. The best thing to do is to inspect the pair for defects. If you approve of the quality of the pair get as many of the fry as you can handle. There is no such thing as a perfect fish. Keep the best ones for future breeding stock and sale the rest.

-john

kevin joseph
04-26-2011, 05:40 PM
buy more. at a larger size! get some breeders eric! lol i dig the blues

William Palumbo
04-26-2011, 09:42 PM
Whatever minor flaws in the fish...were NOT caused by you or your care. As John pointed out, those are genetic "flaws"...Bill

ericatdallas
04-26-2011, 10:05 PM
At this stage it is hard to nail it all down but the things I see are the hump on the one right before the dorsal. Also noticed a crease across the nose on at least one. Nothing major just minor stuff. The best thing to do is to inspect the pair for defects. If you approve of the quality of the pair get as many of the fry as you can handle. There is no such thing as a perfect fish. Keep the best ones for future breeding stock and sale the rest.

-john

LOL, I never even noticed the crease on the nose or that it's considered a flaw :) I actually have more fish, but they swam to the other side. Thanks for taking the time to comment. I saw the parents and they looked good to me :P Thanks, this will probably help me pick out my next batch ...

buy more. at a larger size! get some breeders eric! lol i dig the blues

I was actually thinking of asking you to pick up any fish (Turks or Diamonds) that are exhibiting pairing activity at Mike's tomorrow. Then I realized I won't be able to pick them up from you tomorrow. Besides, I don't have my QT tank setup right now so I have nowhere to put them. I also enjoy raising the juvies too much :)

Whatever minor flaws in the fish...were NOT caused by you or your care. As John pointed out, those are genetic "flaws"...Bill

Well I have to know what genetic flaws to lookout for when picking juveniles (via parents or on fry themselves) plus I don't want to breed any "inferior" fish. If I buy adult fish, I also want to know what to look out for...

thanks for the comments everyone. It makes me feel a lot better about buying my next batch... especially if I'm going to be paying $30-40 for 2-3" fish. Now I just have to figure out which strain to get next.

Elite Aquaria
04-26-2011, 11:02 PM
I agree with the others you have done a good job. Go for another group.