PDA

View Full Version : Few questions on RO

Sameen
04-27-2011, 01:00 AM
Thanks in advance.I want to switch to RO now. I had few questions regarding that.

1. I see RO costing $500 or more and some are really cheap. I dont get the difference. Is there any difference other than gallon output per day?

2. And What does gallon per day mean? Does it mean that i cannot use it for more than which is the limit? If it is 100 gallon per day than what will happen if i use it for 200 per day?

3. And for how long is the cartridge good for?

4. And what does water crash mean, when ppl say if ppm and tds is 0 then water can crash? Does that mean that water becomes prone to fluctuation even by very little ionization of anykind?

5. Is it wise to add some trace mineral back to the 100% RO water such as Kent Marine Discus Essential? can that stabilize the water?

6. And what brand of RO is cheaper and best? and enuf for A 140 and a 40 gallon breeder? all i need is 60 gpd

Special thanks JohnNathan for all the help and already answering this questions. I just need a few more opinions. I have seen John's Air, Water & Ice brand of RO unit. Should i order that? Is that really good?

7. And do i have to age water after deionizing?

8. And does Kent marine blackwater reduce ph and hardness? i am sure Sera does not.

SN: Thanks for reading :). I got a million dollar worth of schooling education for free here, i wish i could throw a BBQ for all the ppl who helped me. I am that grateful...

Elite Aquaria
04-27-2011, 07:25 AM
1. I see RO costing $500 or more and some are really cheap. I dont get the difference. Is there any difference other than gallon output per day?

The differences are the quality of the fittings cartridges and membrane. Acid washed coconut shell based charcoal is the best and make sure the one you select one that has a Filmtech DOW membrane.

2. And What does gallon per day mean? Does it mean that i cannot use it for more than which is the limit? If it is 100 gallon per day than what will happen if i use it for 200 per day?

This is the amount of water the unit produces in a 24hr period.

If taken care of the membrane can last for 3-5 years and the cartridges should be changed every 6 months depending on the amount of water you produce.

4. And what does water crash mean, when ppl say if ppm and tds is 0 then water can crash? Does that mean that water becomes prone to fluctuation even by very little ionization of anykind?

RO water is pure and free of all minerals...therefore the PH is very unstable and you need to add minerals with either a small amount of tap water or a product like RO Right.

5. Is it wise to add some trace mineral back to the 100% RO water such as Kent Marine Discus Essential? can that stabilize the water?

Yes although I have never used Kent's product

6. And what brand of RO is cheaper and best? and enuf for A 140 and a 40 gallon breeder? all i need is 60 gpd

If all you need is 60gpd I would go with a 100gpd unit. Remember depending on you water pressure and the temp and hardness of your water from the start your unit may not make the amount of water that it is rated for.

Special thanks JohnNathan for all the help and already answering this questions. I just need a few more opinions. I have seen John's Air, Water & Ice brand of RO unit. Should i order that? Is that really good?

I like it...;) Click here (http://www.eliteaquaria.com/Discus_RO_Units_s/44.htm) to order now.....:)

No

8. And does Kent marine blackwater reduce ph and hardness? i am sure Sera does not.

I have never used this product.

SN: Thanks for reading . I got a million dollar worth of schooling education for free here, i wish i could throw a BBQ for all the ppl who helped me. I am that grateful...

TURQ64
04-27-2011, 07:34 AM
Additives to relpace R/O stripped water are somewhat different than 'blackwater extracts'...each have a different function....extracts replicate peat and tannin rich water, conditioners add trace elements and minerals..

Sameen
04-27-2011, 07:49 AM

The differences are the quality of the fittings cartridges and membrane. Acid washed coconut shell based charcoal is the best and make sure the one you select one that has a Filmtech DOW membrane.

This is the amount of water the unit produces in a 24hr period.

If taken care of the membrane can last for 3-5 years and the cartridges should be changed every 6 months depending on the amount of water you produce.

RO water is pure and free of all minerals...therefore the PH is very unstable and you need to add minerals with either a small amount of tap water or a product like RO Right.

Yes although I have never used Kent's product

If all you need is 60gpd I would go with a 100gpd unit. Remember depending on you water pressure and the temp and hardness of your water from the start your unit may not make the amount of water that it is rated for.

I like it...;) Click here (http://www.eliteaquaria.com/Discus_RO_Units_s/44.htm) to order now.....:)

No

I have never used this product.

SN: Thanks for reading . I got a million dollar worth of schooling education for free here, i wish i could throw a BBQ for all the ppl who helped me. I am that grateful...

Thanks Elite Aquaria. You are what John was reffering to :). And didnt get your name yet. And i will hopefully buy ur RO unit. Just give me like 2-4 weeks to earn the money as i am a student i go with earn and burn way every month. So need to save. And btw what is your location sir?

Sameen
04-27-2011, 07:51 AM
Additives to relpace R/O stripped water are somewhat different than 'blackwater extracts'...each have a different function....extracts replicate peat and tannin rich water, conditioners add trace elements and minerals..

Thanks Gary. :)

Elite Aquaria
04-27-2011, 08:02 AM
Sameen,

My name is Dan and I live in South Florida.

Sameen
04-27-2011, 08:29 AM
Sameen,

My name is Dan and I live in South Florida.

Thanks, just needed to be sure before i started calling u Dan Espinosa. And please suggest me one of ur RO? and please tell me if i get the water out of it right away. So that i might also consider buying a arge berrel. And i need like 100 gpd.

Elite Aquaria
04-27-2011, 08:32 AM
Sameen,

It depends on your budget. I would personally go with the standard Typhoon 100 gpd click here (http://www.eliteaquaria.com/AIR_WATER_ICE_TYPHOON_p/ityp.htm) for the link. Yes water production begins right away and you will need a storage tank.

Sameen
04-27-2011, 08:55 AM
Sameen,

It depends on your budget. I would personally go with the standard Typhoon 100 gpd click here (http://www.eliteaquaria.com/AIR_WATER_ICE_TYPHOON_p/ityp.htm) for the link. Yes water production begins right away and you will need a storage tank.

I think this is the one, the one u referred in the link. I can very well afford it. Just give me some time. I recently used up a load of cash on discus to set up another breeding tank. And sir does the water come out all at the same time? or i have to wait 24 hrs before it fills up my storage tank?

johnnathan
04-27-2011, 11:47 AM
Sameen

Dan will help you about your breeding water ...

Sameen,

johnnathan
04-27-2011, 11:51 AM
Sameen

it is not John's Air, Water & Ice brand of RO unit. I just recommend Air, Water & Ice brand of RO unit from our sponsor Dan...

Sameen
04-27-2011, 08:43 PM
Sameen

it is not John's Air, Water & Ice brand of RO unit. I just recommend Air, Water & Ice brand of RO unit from our sponsor Dan...

Thankyou John for all the help. I woldnt make it so far without you. My old pair is already cleaning after i moved them to a new 40 gallon breeder from the community 4 days ago.

Altum Nut
04-27-2011, 09:39 PM
Sameen,

Sameen,

Great choice with this r/o unit. Replacement cartridges and membrane are very affordable as well..not to mention great customer service from Dan. Great guy
Normally if it is rated for 100gpd that means in a 24 hr period. I don't know the specs on this unit but it should give you a 1to 3 ratio. Which means 1 gallon r/o at 3 gallons waste. I use a portion of my waste water in my washing machine instead of in the drain.
Remember to ask Dan about the DI and how to charge it for use.
Good Luck,

...Ralph

Elite Aquaria
04-28-2011, 06:35 AM
Sameen,

The water comes out a slow drip with any RO unit. You can add a float valve to automatically shut off the RO once your container if full.

Sameen
04-29-2011, 03:19 PM
Thanks guys. I will be able to afford the unit after i get some money from my dad next month. Now just trying to bring success with tap water or home boiled condensed water.