PDA

View Full Version : Help adjusting large quantites of water

Dogbert4Pres
04-27-2011, 07:51 PM
I live on a farm and have access to unlimited access for pH 6.0 100ppm water. I am reading that the growout tanks suggested for discus should use much harder water. From what is posted on numerous threads here is that to grow out discus, you should use hard water and that a 50% per day water change is highly recommended. I had planned on 54 x 50g grow out tanks so this would mean roughly 1200 gallons of water would need to be adjusted per day. Now I can easily change out any amount of water using a continuous overflow system, I can heat the water to temperature with a propane water heater and stainless steel "radiator" in the sump, but the issue is how would one change the hardness from 100 to 400 on that much water and in a continuous overflow system?

Thanks

mkv
04-27-2011, 08:11 PM
Not a real expert but my past experience has been to always leave water chemistry alone unless is really out of range...or you will be spending a lot of time and $$$ trying to keep it in the parameters you want. I have a water softener for my house so my water is very soft and have raised them to 6" +-....... I think is more important to age the water for at least 24 hrs before use. I have a dual barrel system so mine is aged 48 hrs before use.... keeping the parameters stable with the tank water...
Others might have a different opinion... Just my two cents....

Rex82
04-28-2011, 03:59 AM
Just throw some coral rubble in the tanks or sump and go hard

Northwoods Discus
04-28-2011, 09:34 AM
Is that water from a well at Ph 6.0 and 100ppm? If it is lucky you. If it is R/O or some other source you could add well water to increase the hardness. Or add coral as Rex82 suggested. I picked up a 50 lb bag pretty cheap. What you are adding back to increase hardness is primarily some form of calcium. The calcium is used by the fry for bone development etc.

Dogbert4Pres
04-28-2011, 10:50 AM
The phH of 6 and 100ppm hardness is straight well water, no RO, no DI, just straight from well. If I use my RO, the water reject is under 120. I actually wish it were like 400 so I could use metered RO for the breeders and straight well for the growouts. I guess it is how you look at it.

I mounted a 2" PVC pipe with 1/4" holes at the bottom into a heavy duty 55 gallon plastic container. My intention was to fill it with coral then top feed water from the well forcing it to go through the coral, through the holes in the PVC at the bottom, then rising back to the top where it exits the PVC and container through a elbow mounted to a bulkhead on the container. What I do not know is if this can take the amount of water (1000gpd). I am pretty sure if just 50lb mentioned above can modify the hardness, then it would work since my contraption could hold far more than the 50 and most likely wouldn't be filled until 250lbs

Northwoods Discus
04-28-2011, 10:59 AM
You will have to monitor the hardness of the water you are getting and adjust. Coral would add the Ca slowly. There are other ways to add Ca that would be quicker. R/O right or Replenish but those would be expensive for that amount of water. You may want to search calcium in the forum. I think their are other ways to add it with Cacl I think this is Ice melt or road dust control. For large amounts and quick turnover you may have to add it chemically. I place prefilter bags filled with the coral in the tanks themselves.

Eddie
04-28-2011, 09:31 PM
I would just supplement the water in large barrels before adding it to the tank. Lots of methods for increasing hardness with the right chemicals. Calcium Chloride and Magnesium Sulfate are the most common and very effective. Others have their own personal touch to the mix, just like making a food recipe. Everything is about the mix. ;)