PDA

View Full Version : do small discus breed normally?

ss16534
04-28-2011, 04:13 PM
hi,
i have male 7 inch and the female just 4 inch , will she breed normally . or there would be problem with little one thanks

Altum Nut
04-28-2011, 04:30 PM
Your female is 4" TL right, but have any idea how old she is?
I don't see any problem as long as they pair up.
Have they paired or are you force pairing? I would not do it if this is the case because if he does not want to breed while she is laying...he could beat her up bad.

...Ralph

John_Nicholson
04-28-2011, 04:56 PM
It will be fine. The only problem that you might have is if she lays eggs at the very bottom of the cone.

-john

William Palumbo
04-28-2011, 05:02 PM
Keep an eye on her when she is feeding fry. I have lost small parents to large batches of fry. The stress is too much for them after a certain point...Bill

ss16534
04-29-2011, 01:27 AM
Your female is 4" TL right, but have any idea how old she is?
I don't see any problem as long as they pair up.
Have they paired or are you force pairing? I would not do it if this is the case because if he does not want to breed while she is laying...he could beat her up bad.

...Ralph

hi ralph she is around 16 months

Eddie
04-29-2011, 05:47 AM
It will be fine. The only problem that you might have is if she lays eggs at the very bottom of the cone.

-john

You never know John, he might be well endowed! Lol

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Altum Nut
04-29-2011, 07:57 AM
hi ralph she is around 16 months

I guess she is old enough and not "jail-bait".
Best of luck...but just keep an eye on them.

...Ralph

Eddie
04-29-2011, 08:03 AM
Lol, jail bait

John_Nicholson
04-29-2011, 10:16 AM
LOL...You guys are just wrong....

Bill I have had "normal" sized fish have the same problem with large spawns so I did not categorize that as just a small fish problem.

-john

William Palumbo
04-29-2011, 10:19 AM
Same here John. Actually have my Stendker Cobalt pair recuperating now, and they aint small!...just with the smaller fish, you have to watch them more closely, as their time with their fry is IME a LOT less...Bill

mmorris
04-29-2011, 02:01 PM

-john

Do small females tend to do that? Do they do that because they can and larger females can't? Is this a problem because a larger male cannot reach the eggs?

John_Nicholson
04-29-2011, 02:56 PM
Do small females tend to do that? Do they do that because they can and larger females can't? Is this a problem because a larger male cannot reach the eggs?

Most of the time you are fine but you will get the occasional female that wants to lay at the very bottom of the cone and the larger males simply have problems covering the eggs. The problem can be more of the pain if the female is very small.

-john

CliffsDiscus
04-29-2011, 04:32 PM
Laying eggs(females)near the bottom shouldn't be a problem with the male, as he can go over the eggs horizontaly.

Cliff

John_Nicholson
04-29-2011, 05:10 PM
Laying eggs(females)near the bottom shouldn't be a problem with the male, as he can go over the eggs horizontaly.

Cliff

Your right and if they did not have a brain the size of a pea I am sure they would figure it out....If I post something it will normally be because I have seen it or done it.....

-john

roundfishross
04-29-2011, 05:19 PM
Most of the time you are fine but you will get the occasional female that wants to lay at the very bottom of the cone and the larger males simply have problems covering the eggs. The problem can be more of the pain if the female is very small.

-john

Your right and if they did not have a brain the size of a pea I am sure they would figure it out....If I post something it will normally be because I have seen it or done it.....

-john

plus 2, I have seen this before as well.....Leo

Jason K.
04-29-2011, 07:25 PM
You never know John, he might be well endowed! Lol

eddie you are one funny man...lol...